Complimenting an AMD X2 4600+

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Quitch, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Quitch

Veteran

My brother has an AMD X2 4600+ processor. Due to the failure of the ATI card he had (I forget which one) it was replaced with an nVidia 7600 as my parents thought he'd want a replacement card now rather than the delay the company said would be required for an ATI replacement.

Well, alas, it wasn't an equal swap and he found the nVidia hadn't aged so well and was turning down settings in a few games.

Now Christmas is coming and my parents are looking to replace it. I pointed them at the 4850 as an excellent value for money replacement. My question though is two-fold:

a) As an FPS and RTS fan, would my brother see an improvement with a 4870, or would the CPU be too much of a bottleneck?

b) Since nVidia slashed their prices should any of their cards now be taken into consideration?

2. Moloch

Moloch God of Wicked Games
    Veteran

I think he might be served well by a 4830, it's a faster than a 9800(8800)gt in most games, by alot in some like Quake Wars http://techreport.com/r.x/radeon-hd-4830/etqw-1280.gif and runs a little over 100.
    Does have a decent mobo so he can overclock his cpu? In Crysis the A64s really get slaughted by the C2ds. My opteron 165@2.6ghz had some stuttering in Crysis and Crysis Warhead. But other than that paired with my 8800 GTS (older 640MB) it should be able to handle anything you throw at it(and the 4830 is a good deal faster than my card). Getting a new GPU is much easier (and cheaper) than having to buy a whole new system- cpu+mobo and memory.

3. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

1.) Is it going to be a bit slower than the fastest Intel processor in games? Yes, is it really going to matter? No, the difference is going to be minor. The upgrade would still be huge.

2.) Hard to say being as I'm from the US. Currently I think the GTX260 offers the better value. As the GTX260 with 192 stream processors is equal in value in cost ($200) with the HD4870 512MB. The GTX260 with 216 stream processors is equal at $240 here vs $265 for the cheapest HD4870 1GB. The GTX260 is an EVGA which has a lifetime warranty and comes with a free copy of FarCry 2, neither of the HD4870s have as good of a bundle. Again though, that's US prices and you're from the UK so it could be different. Depending on the resolution your brother is going to play at the 512MB on the HD4870 might be limiting. There are a few cases already where at high levels of AA the memory amount is not enough and therefore you get an extreme cutoff in performance. The cards perform nearly the same otherwise in what I've seen from recent reviews. I personally just picked up a GTX260 and went with it over the HD4870 because it was cheaper (I don't want the small 512MB HD4870) and had a better bundle for equal performance.

In all honesty I actually don't think the HD4850 is that great of a value anymore in the US market. For only $50 you can get a much faster card with a much better bundle. But alas, the AMD cards do seem to have the hype factor going for them this time around. If that is of any importance.

4. Moloch

Moloch God of Wicked Games
    Veteran

Well according to the hexux.net the 4850 has the best bang4buck although with the newer drivers the 216 core 260 isn't far behind. What would be a major factor imo is what resolution he plays at.

5. Quitch

Veteran

He'll be a 1280x1024 player owing to his screen.

6. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

Oh, well then. I would grab a HD4850 and probably consider saving money by going with the HD4830. That's a rather low resolution, a GTX260 or HD4870 of any kind is to much video card.