Comp restarting its self. why?

Hi all,

I have a problem with my old computer, i have just installed a Geforce FX 5700 and installed 84.21 drivers in it from nvidia, but now for some reason this computer likes to reset its self when i first come into windows, then the second time around it loads up allright, but then about 1min later it does it again, then by the 3rd time it seems to be ok. It came up with some frequency problem the first time on my monitor but it was to fast reseting its self to tell u what it realy said.

So if anyone has any ideas that would help, that would be great:D

This is what my computer is:
AMD 2100 xp
Geforce FX 5700
GA-7DXE Mobo
2x512ram Cant remember brand
300w P/S
80gig ide seagate hdd

Thanks all

Do you get a bluescreen error message? I not, try to disable the automatic reboot on error function and see if you get one then.

My initial guess is hat you have a borderline power supply causing a BSOD on a cold start. Could you try to let the computer sit in BIOS (or at the OS selection screen) for 5-10 minutes after it has been off for a while and see if it will boot normally on the first try after warming up a bit? If that helps, check your voltages with appropriate monitoring software and see if any of them are low. If you have voltage monitoring in the BIOS you could also check to se if they are fluctuating right after boot.

If this is your problem, first check your motherboard for leaking capacitators. Ff you can't se any issues there. try to swap PSU-leads around, and as a last resort use a different PSU.

Do you get a bluescreen error message? I not, try to disable the automatic reboot on error function and see if you get one then.

My initial guess is hat you have a borderline power supply causing a BSOD on a cold start. Could you try to let the computer sit in BIOS (or at the OS selection screen) for 5-10 minutes after it has been off for a while and see if it will boot normally on the first try after warming up a bit? If that helps, check your voltages with appropriate monitoring software and see if any of them are low. If you have voltage monitoring in the BIOS you could also check to se if they are fluctuating right after boot.

If this is your problem, first check your motherboard for leaking capacitators. Ff you can't se any issues there. try to swap PSU-leads around, and as a last resort use a different PSU.

Coincidentially, i was checking a friend´s pc and it had the said problem but with the actual screen of death. But the screen would dissappear so fast for you to even read what was going on.

He formated his master HDD and after reinstalling windows the problem still kept happenning. Then he removed the master HDD and tried to install windows on his second HDD but during the setup screen from the cd, the PC displayed another blue screen of death.

My take on the subject is that his ramo memory is faulty, maybe due to static. Could anyone give me an advice or a hint about it?

Coincidentially, i was checking a friend´s pc and it had the said problem but with the actual screen of death. But the screen would dissappear so fast for you to even read what was going on.

He formated his master HDD and after reinstalling windows the problem still kept happenning. Then he removed the master HDD and tried to install windows on his second HDD but during the setup screen from the cd, the PC displayed another blue screen of death.

My take on the subject is that his ramo memory is faulty, maybe due to static. Could anyone give me an advice or a hint about it?

It does sound like a hardware problem. I would check all the components are seated properly, last time my PC failed to boot was because the sound card was seated incorrectly. Alternatively remove everything non-essential (i.e. sound cards, video capture cards, etc) before reinstalling the OS and see if works.

To test the memory use something like memtest86+ or Windows Memory Diagnostic to check if the RAM is faulty, let it run a few times and see what results it comes back with.

Did you completely remove the drivers for your old video card?
Try Driver Cleaner by the guys over at DriverHeaven :smile:

Hi, No i did not comletely remove the drivers, the ATI drivers i had in there would not remove at all, but the NVIDIA ones would, but now i have done this driver clean and it has got rid of the ATI drivers and the computer seems to be working ok now. Grrr ATI:devilish:

So thanks for that, but i will be checking it and c if there is any other problems that come up later.

Hi, no i dont think it was a bluescreen error, it was that fast i cant even remember. Red Maybe...

Anyway i was goin to try what u said with letting it warm up in BIOS, but since i have done this Driver Clean it has been working fine, but thanks for your insite.:smile:

Hi, No i did not comletely remove the drivers, the ATI drivers i had in there would not remove at all, but the NVIDIA ones would, but now i have done this driver clean and it has got rid of the ATI drivers and the computer seems to be working ok now. Grrr ATI:devilish:

So thanks for that, but i will be checking it and c if there is any other problems that come up later.

Glad that I could help.:D

It does sound like a hardware problem. I would check all the components are seated properly, last time my PC failed to boot was because the sound card was seated incorrectly. Alternatively remove everything non-essential (i.e. sound cards, video capture cards, etc) before reinstalling the OS and see if works.

To test the memory use something like memtest86+ or Windows Memory Diagnostic to check if the RAM is faulty, let it run a few times and see what results it comes back with.

I tested the memory for a whole day on another pc and didnt show any problems, my actual take is that maybe the motherboard is faulty.

Another thing to add onto the mix, is that the BSOD doesnt happens in a specific moment, it could happen at any time, being the most surprising one during the setup of windows (loading the setup from the cd).

Also, i was checking the motherboard and i noticed that several components do feel hot, specially the heat disipator that sits in the integrated GPU, other components were too hot as well.

Its realy strange for those components to get that hot in just a couple of minutes, so that further increases my theory of the MB being indeed faulty.

What can you tell me about this?

Back