Comments? (in reputation)

XSBagage

Newcomer
So I got this comment on a post of mine, not a bad one or something but who is it from?
Can I check this somewhere?

Once you become a senior member you automagically get names tagged to the rep you get, but I think that's the only way.

I try and sign my comments when they're to people who won't be able to see I sent it.

digitalwanderer said:
Once you become a senior member you automagically get names tagged to the rep you get, but I think that's the only way.

I try and sign my comments when they're to people who won't be able to see I sent it.

:oops: I thought everyone could see the name, O.k. I'll have to start to sign them as well... :p

digitalwanderer said:

same here....

Well sometimes it is usefull to know who the comment comes from. Not that it matters much in my case, I think, though it does interest me :D
Maybe if people who leave a comment could choose to hide their name instead of hiding it by default, wouldn't that be better?

XSBagage said:
Well sometimes it is usefull to know who the comment comes from. Not that it matters much in my case, I think, though it does interest me :D
Maybe if people who leave a comment could choose to hide their name instead of hiding it by default, wouldn't that be better?

It's not that we "decide to hide it". Cause we can't. You just can't see it, cause you're a junior.
When a user gets to a certain status (i think after 1000 posts or so), he can see the names of whoever gave him rep.
:D

oh wait i just realised you were saying something completely different. Ignore me... :oops:

XSBagage said:

I don't think so, as most members giving negativ reputation would probably hide their username in fear of receiving negative reps as well. It could also provoke unjustified reps. At least this way, you have to assume that the person receiving reps is aware from who.

Phil said:
I don't think so, as most members giving negativ reputation would probably hide their username in fear of receiving negative reps as well. It could also provoke unjustified reps. At least this way, you have to assume that the person receiving reps is aware from who.
Well from what I gather from the usergroups thread it's only registereds, juniors and members that can't see who left reputation and senior members and regulars should be able to see who left reps (I think, it's not clear whether senior members can see who left reputation, but I imagine they can). Take into account that only senior members and regulars can leave negative rep. So at this point you already have this fear of reprisal whenever you leave negative rep with a senior or regular because they're the only 2 groups that can leave negative rep and the 2 groups that can see who leaves rep.
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying that you should be able to hide from regulars or seniors, I'd keep things for those groups the way they are, they can see who left rep if they hid or not. I'd only change it for the registereds, juniors and members, you have to actively hide from them when you leave rep. So actually things stay much the same, it just shifts the burden on those who want to hide rather than on those who want to be open.

I don't understand the provoked unjustified reps, what do you mean by that?

edit: I just thought you could aswell make an option in the userCP so that people could select their own personal default, then each member can decide for himself whether he wants to hide by default or send his name by default.

Last edited by a moderator:
What crap! Someone left me negative reputation for what I said in the HardOCP thread. And the comment was.... "Boo!". What the (explicit deleted)? I said nothing wrong IMO and they gave me negative rep because they disagreed? Makes me not want to post anything with an opinion anymore. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Geo
Back