College?

Yup, I'm here. First day was yesterday. I moved into Pratt Institute in Brooklyn. I have a week of orientation and then it's the real deal.

Oy.

Sorry this post may seem vague or pointless. It's more that there are a lot of things about this that I have no idea about. I'm the oldest of my sibs so I'm the first to be in this situation.

Basically, even though I'm excited, I'm scared shitless by the whole prospect of living on my own and without the family whose been by my side since I was born. And I miss my friends.

Here we go.

Oy.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Okay this is what you need to do depending on what living conditions are .

Are you in a dorm ?

If so do they allow hot plates ?

If so , learn how to make mac and cheese , roamen noodles , and any kind of pasta asap .

Your in college now which means eat very cheaply so u can afford liquer . Your in new york so liquer is more expensive .

Next thing u need to do is find a bar that lets under 21s in and start going there and making friends . Allways stick to one bar as once u know the bar tenders u get free drinks and discounts .

Next thing is actual schooling . if your a freshmen your going to get the crap courses . What u need ot know is that sunday - thursday are school work days. Don't save work for friday night or saturday . Thats a no no and sunday the first half of its useless your asleep .

Also remember that your friends you make freshmen year are going to be your main friends through out college so make sure you try and get along and try to find a group of people u feel u can live with as your going to need roomates moving foward

Why the sad face?

College is a golden opportunity where you and your newfound gang of amiable misfits have a rollicking ride of zany misadventures filled with full bosomed scantily clad young ladies and triumphantly ending with you foiling a plot between property developers and the crusty old Dean....

It's more that there are a lot of things about this that I have no idea about

Now that I've filled you in theres nothing to worry about, except that crusty old Dean...

If you want your college experience to be fun fun, then listen to jvd's post above. However if you want to get the most (education wise) out of it, the let us know so we can give you what to do (or not do).

epi

Would someone please teach Jvd how to contract the words you are into you're.

:devilish:

Kany, I'd love to be in your shoes and relive those years (I'm almost 41 these days). It is strange at first being out on your own, but you'll adjust, you'll make friends at the university, and you'll be home on the holidays to see your friends and family. Make the most of it and don't let your fears or worries take away from the experience.

Things are lookin' up. :D

jvd, you're ridiculous, and probably right.

I was just unsure of myself (cause for uncertain smilies), but then things get moving along and now I'm gettin' all caught up in it.

Heh, thanks for humoring me though.

I am in a dorm, but no hot plates allowed. No hot plates, candles, incense, anything that creates fire...

We've got kitchenettes at the end of each hall though.

Dude, one thing that will help you feel a bit more confident is that everyone else there is feeling exactly the anxieties you are to either the same, greater, or lesser degree.

Do your best and try and enjoy yourself more than fretting about it, before you know it the fretting will be gone. :)

digitalwanderer said:
Dude, one thing that will help you feel a bit more confident is that everyone else there is feeling exactly the anxieties you are to either the same, greater, or lesser degree.

In short get out there and meet everyone. Try not to be shy, and everything should work out pretty well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, I looking forward to going back. It will be my 3rd year actually (but its 2nd year of the program I'm taking). Working my ass off is my number 1 plan this year, but I'm looking forward to the girls, pub nights and....more [stupid] jokes with the colleagues.

I've been waiting all summer to get back to college, even though I've lived in my house down there all summer. I'm at my parents this weekend and although I love them, the sooner I get back the better. You really have nothing to worry about, unless your roommate is a total deusch bagg.

What are you going for? I noticed you're going to Pratt so I recommend completely disregarding anything that jvd has said. He's way off when it comes to this type of college you're going to.

I am curious as to what field in the arts you're looking at. Graphic Design, Fine Art, Illustration? Whatever it is you will most likely still be taking the foundation courses. These should be fun but extremely demanding, yet informative. I would serious look into taking time with the matter. You're going to get all sorts of projects that will help you out along the way.

Time will obviously always be a problem. Not that bad if you are good at managing your time in a way that puts school, sleep, and food first and social activities last. A social life isn't a bad thing by any means, and is actually quite healthy in art school. Some of your best critiques will come from fellow students.

If not the best year of your life, then the starting year of the best years of your life! :)

I never really expected life to get any better once I hit 17. Oh how wrong I was! True, there are some underlying harshnesses such as bills and non-blood-related housemates, but there is where the fun begins, the drinking takes shape, the girls lose shape, the nights lose dates, the time loses time, and the best stuff happens!

OK, I think it's time for me to grow up! ;)

Sonic said:
What are you going for? I noticed you're going to Pratt so I recommend completely disregarding anything that jvd has said. He's way off when it comes to this type of college you're going to.

I am curious as to what field in the arts you're looking at. Graphic Design, Fine Art, Illustration? Whatever it is you will most likely still be taking the foundation courses. These should be fun but extremely demanding, yet informative. I would serious look into taking time with the matter. You're going to get all sorts of projects that will help you out along the way.

Computer graphics - meaning you hit it dead on; I'll be taking the foundation courses. Yeah, they've been really throwing all these leisure-esque and group activites at us for orientation but you can tell it's going to be a real challenge.

When you say Computer Graphics, do you mean CG as in the CG that goes on over at CGtalk.com or more like graphic design? 2D or 3D? Each way, it must feel good to get accepted to a college like Pratt.

The trick with a school like yours is to not get overwhelmed within the first few weeks. It might seem like a hell of a lot of work, because it is! It is worth it though, all the time and energy put into your projects will be of the greatest benefit to you. All the kids who slack off in college, especially art school, will never beat out the ones that make the best use of their time by dedicating it on studies and really just getting into the work.

Kanyamagufa said:
Computer graphics - meaning you hit it dead on; I'll be taking the foundation courses. Yeah, they've been really throwing all these leisure-esque and group activites at us for orientation but you can tell it's going to be a real challenge.

Something to keep mind is that the generals and foundation classes absolutely positively suck. If you can get through the first year or two of college and not absolutely loath them you'll be all set. :)

Seriously, if you end up really really hating things and are thinking about quiting (I was and almost did), try to get into an upper level class. It may seem a bit odd, but I found them to be much easier and at the same time a lot more informative. I also got substantially higher marks in them and had a lot more fun.

Anyway, good luck!

Nite_Hawk

hey, I'm about to be in a very similar boat! move-in is on wednesday :)

however, I moved out one year ago (to the day, no less!) have been living more-or-less on my own since so, this is going to be a little like stepping back. But, I can't wait! I will be surrounded by GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS! (going to Texas Woman's University BWAHAHAHAHA)

Sage said:
hey, I'm about to be in a very similar boat! move-in is on wednesday :)

however, I moved out one year ago (to the day, no less!) have been living more-or-less on my own since so, this is going to be a little like stepping back. But, I can't wait! I will be surrounded by GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS! (going to Texas Woman's University BWAHAHAHAHA)

Okay, I think I speak for a good portion of the members here when I ask, "How are you pulling off going to an all girls college when you are in fact...a guy?"

I hope to be going into 3D animation and modeling OR interactive application and gaming.

I started on Bryce 3D when I was twelve years old and haven't been able to tear myself away from the digital arts since.

Kanyamagufa said:
"How are you pulling off going to an all girls college when you are in fact...a guy?"

Haven't you ever watched Bosom Buddies?

>.>
<.<

*jumps into car and rides into the sunset

Kanyamagufa said:
"How are you pulling off going to an all girls college when you are in fact...a guy?"

well... you see... it is, in fact... a public school. they arent allowed to discriminate. they have been letting in guys for a while now. Just that the major programs that they offer are nursing, premed, and fassion design. Oh, and most guys seem to think that its all a bunch of ugly dyke's that go there (NOT AT ALL THE TRUTH!)

Kanyamagufa said:
Okay, I think I speak for a good portion of the members here when I ask, "How are you pulling off going to an all girls college when you are in fact...a guy?"
Any volunteers for the casual 'really small dick' joke? :devilish:

Back