COLLADA 1.0 specs are out

Intended Audience

This document is public and available to anybody. The intended audience is programmers that want to create applications, or plug-ins for applications, that can utilize the COLLADA format.

Readers of this document should have knowledge of XML, XML Schema. The reader needs also be familiar with shading languages such as NVIDIA ® Cg or Pixar RenderMan®. The reader should have a general knowledge and understanding of computer graphics and graphics API such as OpenGL®.

Interesting... :p

Edit:

The COLLADA interchange format is the result of research project within Sony Computer Entertainment US Research & Development (SCE US R&D). COLLADA is a COLLAborative Design Activity lead by SCE US R&D that involves designers, developers and interested parties from within Sony Computer Entertainment as well as other companies such as Alias Systems Corporation, Criterion Software, Autodesk Inc, and Avid Technology.

Hmm it mentions it supports meshes and nurbs, but for the rest nurbs are not mentioned anymore at all.

Additionally we assume that end users will be using the Microsoft Windows® and Linux® operating systems in their production environments. In the case of end user developers we assume they will program in the C/C++ languages predominantly. This is what we will be focusing on for COLLADA example source code.

Confirmation that Cell workstaions will be linux based?

Edit:

During the design phase, the Microsoft Visual Studio® XML Designer tool is being used to iteratively develop and validate the schema for the format.

SCEA likes VS! :D

So this is...what?

File formats? If so, for models or textures or...? Wtf, Pana, give us some descriptions dammit! :D

Taken from the public collada forum:

COLLADA 1.0.0 samples and source code

This contains the source code for the OpenGL/Cg COLLADA viewer for Windows , Linux and MacOS. Also contains sample COLLADA files.

download

a perfect cube with no jaggiez!

Xenon fear the PoWeR of PS3 haaarr!!

So in a nutshell: COLLADA is a new file format and the named partners are using this standard in order to provide easy digital assets exchange (.dae) between applications. Sounds very useful :D

MfA said:
Hmm it mentions it supports meshes and nurbs, but for the rest nurbs are not mentioned anymore at all.
Collada specs are far from being complete..dunno why they called it 1.0 specs sheet.. ;)

Chyrz, yep, if the companies behind major content creation tools can agree to support this, it would be great news.

nAo said:
Collada specs are far from being complete..dunno why they called it 1.0 specs sheet..
Yeah it sounds more like beta 0.5 :p still it looks promising so far.

Here's a interesting little tale about this file format...

If you have a recent Renderware SDK look at its RF3 format and than look at Collada. Close aren't they?

Story I hear, is the Sony asked Criterion if they could look at it, liked it so much asked Criterion if they could take it over and open source if. Criterion looked at what this did for them (let Sony control there internal tools format...) and said err No thanks were happy for it to be an internal format, an open file format is worthless except as a part of a tool chain but if you want to use it go ahead.

So Sony did, renamed a few tokens and made a big press release :)

Criterion are not going to use Collada, they will write a translator that puts the token back to the original, but that way they can still change RF3 whenever they like.

DeanoC said:
If you have a recent Renderware SDK look at its RF3 format and than look at Collada. Close aren't they?
Is RF3 also in beta 0.5 stage? :p
I mean this is nice and all, but the spec is still quite far from being complete enough to make it you know... useable.

Anyway, like I said, if they get all those names to back this up - it's worth all the PR it can get.

Fafalada said:
DeanoC said:
Is RF3 also in beta 0.5 stage? :p
I mean this is nice and all, but the spec is still quite far from being complete enough to make it you know... useable.

Anyway, like I said, if they get all those names to back this up - it's worth all the PR it can get.

There just aren't that many ways to do this, I have at least two other textbased formats in use here in addition to rf3 and collada and you'd be hard pressed to tell any of them apart without close inspection.

What collada potentially provides, is exporters that are maintained by the tool vendors instead of by developers. I suspect the quality of the exporters will be highly dependant on the breadth of adoption.

ERP said:
What collada potentially provides, is exporters that are maintained by the tool vendors instead of by developers. I suspect the quality of the exporters will be highly dependant on the breadth of adoption.

So exactly how many cross-platform text based geometry formats are we up to by now? Must be at least 4-5 in the least couple of years :)

Like all good standards, theres a whole bunch doing the same job for you to pick from :)

DeanoC said:
o exactly how many cross-platform text based geometry formats are we up to by now? Must be at least 4-5 in the least couple of years
Thing is I never got around to quite trust any of those I tried :p Granted, maybe things have changed since the last time by now...

Back