Coincidental naming?!

Discussion in 'Graphics and Semiconductor Industry' started by PSarge, Mar 12, 2003.

1. PSarge

Newcomer

Just wondered if anybody else had noticed the synchronicity between NVIDIA s and ATIs naming schemes.

Radeon 9200/9600/9800
    Geforce FX 5200/5600/5800

Somebody either got that naming very right or very wrong (depending which side you're on). You can just see it.

(Scene: Fry's, PC World or some other PC shop nobody with any nouse goes to.)
    Shop Assistant : "So Sir, we have either the NVIDIA 5200 or the ATI 9200"
    Muppet : "I don't understand these things...I'll take the one with the bigger number thanks."

2. RussSchultz

RussSchultz Professional Malcontent
    Veteran

A true muppet would have a pun in there somewhere.

3. PSarge

Newcomer

Only if he didn't follow it up with "Wocka! Wocka! Wocka!"

4. RussSchultz

RussSchultz Professional Malcontent
    Veteran

Ha! I just got the TimeLife Muppet Show collection and its quite a trip down memory lane.

I was amazed at all the bad jokes and puns, plus the number of famous people that hosted the show and the strange skits they put on.

Three cheers for the frog.

But back on topic, it is a bit wierd to have all the "competing" cards lined up with their last 3 numbers. Maybe coincidence, but it sure makes it a pain in the arse trying to keep them straight in casual conversation.

5. Hyp-X

Hyp-X Irregular
    Veteran

I was thinking about it for some time, but I decided not to start a topic about it.

I don't beleive it being fully coincidental. I think nVidia aligned the 5200 and the 5600 to match the 9200 and 9600 on purpose realizing it makes perfect match. They had the time to decide it, from early infos about ATI.

But it cannot be the same with 5800/9800 as the 5800 was first. IIRC, the first rumours was about 9900, so maybe in this case it was ATI aligning to the 5800.

I don't expect this alignment to last to long though.
    nVidia will call the next lineup 6xxx, thats for sure, but what will ATI do?
    Going for 10xxxx is just silly - it won't look good anymore, to long to pronaunce, etc.

They need to change their numbering scheme.
    I don't think they worry much about it seeing they put X1 after 8800.

6. epicstruggle

epicstruggle Passenger on Serenity
    Veteran

the 9900 might still come according to rumors after NV35 is release. I thought Ati had it right when the had all directx 9 cards named 9XXX, until they rebadged the 8500. That cost them one rung on the bias meter. :)

later,

7. Joe DeFuria

Legend

Although the trick is...they are NOT directly lined up with the numbers based on price, which makes it all the more difficult in trying to keep them striaght. From what we can tell:

$79 5200 = 9200
    $99 5200 = 9200 Pro
    $149 5200 Pro = 9600
    $199 5600 Pro = 9600 Pro

I've already seen many "direct" comparisons of the "5200 Ultra" to "9200/9000" benchmarks. Where the 5200 Ultra is clearly the winner. This is as it should be, since it's not in the same price bracket.

We need to see some 5200 Non-Pros put up against the 9200 Pros...

8. Tagrineth

Tagrineth SNAKES... ON A PLANE
    Veteran

Radeon 9000 Pro came way before 8500 -> 9100, where you been man? :p

9. kyleb

Veteran

he has been of basing his bias on misunderstanding, were you been woman? :wink:

10. Johnny Rotten

Regular

I almost ordered that the other day when I saw it on TV.

I still might... :)

11. epicstruggle

epicstruggle Passenger on Serenity
    Veteran

@tagrineth:Correct, for the life of me I thought the 9000p was directx 9. Thanks for the corrections. :D

@kyleb:Bashing? I would call it politly informing the uninformed of their errors in thinking. :)

later,

12. kyleb

Veteran

na, i thought you were very polite and the fact that you stated your opinion as clearly that was respectable by all means. i did not see it as bashing, i used basing because that is what i meant; as in "to lay the foundation of" in reference to the idea that the 9100 was the first non-dx9 9xxx card from ati. the play on Tagrineth's words just popped into my head as soon as i read her comment, please do not take it as an offence to you as it was only meant to be taken in good fun. :)