CNPS7000A-AlCu problems

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
I mounted it up last night and I thought everything went well, but my temps are HIGHER than a stock cooler?!?!

I pulled it and found a bloody cat hair caught between the cooler & CPU, cleaned it and remounted it, and it's STILL running too hot.

Oh, I did also change cases when I did this....but this one isn't THAT bad on airflow!

What do y'all suggest I check? I'm feeling a bit clueless here and plan to go out and wash me mini-van with my kids to try and shake the problem out of my head and hopefully come up with a plan of attack to fixing it.

Just installed mine too Dig ( same one, the full copper one tooks too long to deliver ) .. and everything is perfect ... But did you used your thermal paste correctly ? and i bought another thermal paste .. not the one integrated with the zalman ... Artic Silver 5 ... and at idle on my athlon 64 3200+ .. my temp is around 40 (39~41). What yours and on what ?

RainZ

might be because you had the thermal pad on the stock cooler, and it's preventing Really Super Good Heat Transfer between the two.

I just clocked her back to 8.5x200 since she kept eventually locking up at 10x200. :(

Uhm, I used the Zalman stuff the first time and I used nanotherm blueII this time. I'm running a 46c right now at 8.5x200 and at 10x200 was averaging 52c, NOT under load! :(

digitalwanderer said:
I just clocked her back to 8.5x200 since she kept eventually locking up at 10x200. :(

Uhm, I used the Zalman stuff the first time and I used nanotherm blueII this time. I'm running a 46c right now at 8.5x200 and at 10x200 was averaging 52c, NOT under load! :(

Well what's your CPU Dig ?

RainZ

You can't see me rig in me sig? :|
2500+, NF7-s rev 2, 1Gb PC3200, 128MB 9700 Pro (380/360), Audigy2, ADA885...but it's a bit smaller in me sig.

The damned thing is heating up too fast, and the Abit HQ is telling me my CPU & chassis fan are off when I can look thru the window and see 'em spinning just fine. (And under hardware health it gives their correct RPMs in the bios)

Mine seems to be fine. A64 3000+@218 FSB and around 34-36º idle with the grease that came with the cooler. What speed is your fan running?

Clean it off throughly. Then apply the the thermal adhesive, I like arctic silver. You might have to lap it as well, also it does take some time for the HSF to settle and really start working.

The heatsinks bottom is a mirror finish, and I had cleaned both the heatsink & CPU well with naptha when I changed them.

I'll try that in a bit after I get the kids to bed.

If its still high then try the HSF I sent you and see what it does. It could be the heave Cu leaving a space bettwen the heat sink and the CPU when set upright.

Hey DW I notice the temps on my computer are higher than what many people report I think perhaps the NF7-S reports higher temps than other nforce boards... though I am not sure. My computer gets to 52 at load, but then it is overclocked to near 2.5ghz...

Pagh!

I've got her at 8x200 right now and she's holding at 46 and I'm frazzed from a loooong weekend with the kids. I'm gonna let her limp tonight and tear into her fresh in the morning after I get the kids to school and get myself a chance to THINK for a few minutes and fix it.

Thanks for all the help, I'll let you know how it goes.

Oh yeah, did I happen to mention that the Zalman doesn't actually FIT my NF7-s and I had to grind about 1/8-1/4" of aluminum off of the side of one of the brackets and then I had to take a hacksaw to about an 1/8-1/4" of the retaining clamp that holds down the heatsink to make it all fit?

It's probably not important, but I was thinking of it before bed and noticed I'd neglected to mention that bit. I'm now thinking that mebbe I bent a little of the springyness out of the retaining clip accidently... (I tried real hard not too, but you try working with a bloody pair of channel-locks and a hacksaw doing some bloody precise cutting and see how good you do!)

Could a slight change in the tension cause the difference?

digitalwanderer said:
Oh yeah, did I happen to mention that the Zalman doesn't actually FIT my NF7-s and I had to grind about 1/8-1/4" of aluminum off of the side of one of the brackets and then I had to take a hacksaw to about an 1/8-1/4" of the retaining clamp that holds down the heatsink to make it all fit?

It's probably not important, but I was thinking of it before bed and noticed I'd neglected to mention that bit. I'm now thinking that mebbe I bent a little of the springyness out of the retaining clip accidently... (I tried real hard not too, but you try working with a bloody pair of channel-locks and a hacksaw doing some bloody precise cutting and see how good you do!)

Could a slight change in the tension cause the difference?

:oops: Yes.

RainZ

Yes, it could very well cause it. The retention mechanism is somewhat of a weak point on some of the Zalmans even without modding it... I've read about cases where an extra placeholder gadget was needed to ensure proper downforce.

Thanks! That'll be the first bit I experiment on then 'cause it's about the only thing I could see causing the problem. The mounting went pretty well after I got all the bits to fit me board and I didn't think it was anything with the installation per se. :)

Of course, last night the kids kept getting me up so I didn't sleep too well...but I did figure out what holes I'm gonna cut where in me new case and why now. I'm going to try something I've never tried before; modding a case to be both performance minded and STILL remain not-too-ugly.

Wish me luck, I think it just may work... ;)

digitalwanderer said:
Thanks! That'll be the first bit I experiment on then 'cause it's about the only thing I could see causing the problem. The mounting went pretty well after I got all the bits to fit me board and I didn't think it was anything with the installation per se. :)

Of course, last night the kids kept getting me up so I didn't sleep too well...but I did figure out what holes I'm gonna cut where in me new case and why now. I'm going to try something I've never tried before; modding a case to be both performance minded and STILL remain not-too-ugly.

Wish me luck, I think it just may work... ;)

Good Luck Dig ! :D

RainZ

Back