Clive Barker's Jericho Demo Released

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by IbaneZ, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Jawed

Legend

MB3 for move forward, MB2 for move backwards here :grin:

Guess that counts me out of this game.

Jawed

2. woundingchaney

Regular

Great game, exactly what I was shown at E3.

Although fraps is showing approx 34-40 fps, Im running a q6600 @3.0, 8800gtx sli, 4 gig ram so its obviously not running very well.

The problem is the game doesnt feel like it is running this slow. Is everyone using fraps to check framerates here and if so what is your averages.

Thank You

3. Galduta

Veteran

I believe that is a custom engine , not is the UE3

It was said in the presentation of the game in Spain - Europe-. The this developer founded with members of Rebel Art, authors of one game of fight with swords , ill-treated for the critic , Blade of Darkness. This game in 2001 had shadows with stencil shadows, I believe that it is the first game that did it, several years before that Far Cry - in outdors - and Doom 3.

edit : http://www.gamersyde.com/news_5033_en.html

#23 Galduta, Sep 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2007
  4. Snyder

Regular

You've got that wrong either way. It's simply the developers' fault. :twisted:

5. Zaphod

Zaphod Remember
    Veteran

Gawd, let's not go there again. The Bioshock thread has page upon page of that bickering already. At any rate: If the game's primary aspect ratio is wide, it's not a fault no matter how you look at it. It's either "Man, I wish they had used a wider FOV..." (an opinion, and a perfectly valid one); or "Dude, those morons doesn't even know that real WS should always have a wider FOV than those old monitors, that's why I paid good money for my wide monitor..." (a snobbish, misinformed, and just plain wrong opinion).

6. Davros

Legend

is it the same engine as scapland
    [​IMG]

ps: just ran severance (1st time since i upgraded to a 8800) and i cant see the menu text shogo had the same problem (fixed by forceing vsync) maybe that will fix it

7. SugarCoat

Veteran

it looks quite decent but im not impressed at all by the gameplay. I dont like games that make you bounce around other players to solve puzzles or what have you, makes me not give a damn about them. I dont think its going to be an Undying, of course that game flew totally under the radar, this will problably sell very well on graphics alone.

To be fair though i couldnt really get a good feel for the game. The demo is incredibly short. Unless you screw around you can blast through in under 10 minutes and you really have no idea whats going on.

If it got some form of Co-op though it would be a lot of fun to play with friends or people on Live. I dont think its going to have multiplayer though so thats yet ANOTHER game neglected (wake up idiots Co-op adds tons of value and enjoyment!). PC version is listed at only $39.99 too.

#27 SugarCoat, Sep 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2007
  8. MJP

MJP
    Regular

The demo is okay, worth a download. It feels rather "console-ish" to me in that the combat is pretty loose, but at least it tries to be a bit different.

Graphics-wise I ran it at 1440 x 900 on my 8800 GTS with high motion blur, 4x AA, and VSYNC and I seemed to stay right above 30 fps. I'm guessing its not the most PC-optimized engine in the world, but its not too bad. It also has a SM3.0 minimum spec, which seems to be getting quite common these days for multiplats. Looks like those of you out there still hanging on to your 9800's and X800's need to upgrade. :razz:

9. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

Ugh, that wasn't very fun. Not my cup of tea. It ran well though on my 8800 GTX at 1920x1200 with 4xAA, vsync and everything enabled on high except for motion blur which was off.

10. sonix666

Regular

Don't be afraid, you're not alone. I use the left mouse button to walk forward and the right one to walk backwards. ;)

11. Galduta

Veteran

I yesterday same, in a very small forum , in a thread about Jericho with few answers , I discovered another person who was using the right button of the mouse to advance. I also was using the mouse, until a few years ago , the right botton ;)

12. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

you're saying no WASD? you use the mouse button to move? quicksave? decent camera? how standard (can be) are the controls?

what's the premise? i played undying a couple? years ago (dated by that time), i found it decent. with some good moments. not all that into 'horror' themes. maybe i'll spin it up for halloween.

13. Dooby

Regular

Please tell me you two are joking, this is a PC FPS, not DANCE-MASTER on the PS1. If theres more than one instance of up up down down in this game, Im gonna be looking for a refund. Shitty console-isation.

Also, WTF @ lack of customisation of any type of settings. While I like the fact that it auto resolutioned to 2560, a lack of any other settings screams CONSOLE! I dont know about anyone elses mouse either, but I had to exit the game and turn my mouse sensitivity down, even with it on LOW in the game. It was ridiculous.

ALSO no JUMP -> WTF?!??! C-O-N-S-O-L-E

Gods sake.

Other than that, visuals were nice, but the demo is way to linear / no enough monsters to give any type of challenge. The only time I died was when my character auto jumped down the hole, and you have to start bashing the buttons. I didnt understand WTF was going on for the first few times. And when I did suss it out, it was so easy it wasnt worth it.

Oh, another thing (Im sorry, this was gonna be a short post) when the enemy fires... uh... fire at you. You cant see a damn thing. Worst. effect. ever. I dont care if its realistic. With two fire flinging guys on you, the fire lasts just long enough that theyve thrown another fireball. And then youre constantly blind. Dont know where to fire back at, cant jump into another character. The only way my gf found to do a section was reload a couple of times, learning where the mobs where, and then telekinetically shooting them from another room. Reload-repeat gameplay might be acceptable on a console, but its not for me.

Ive been looking forward to Jericho for ages. And Ive seen other games accused of Console-isation. But this is MAIMED by it. Theres not enough baddies to pose a threat to someone who can aim a sniper shot across UT3 map while jumping off a balcony, with 10 other guys shooting at you. So they make it impossible if you dont know the map. Impossible is NOT a level of difficulty. Its stupidity, and I dont want it in my games. I could have bought a PS1 years ago to play crap like that.

Anyway, the moral of this story is I'll play any old crap when I'm bored. So I bought it, and its pre-loaded on Steam, ready for tomorrow. I just hope the rest of the game has more of the better parts of the demo, and not more of the shit.

14. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

hmmmm ok. So, you hated it, but you bought it anyway.

The only time I had a real challenge in the demo was with the "button mashing". While a rather shocking change in pace, I've decided I liked it. I wouldn't really call it consolitis. I'd say the devs wanted to add something to make their game more than yet another typical shooter.

I did notice that the default mouse button bindings were reversed though, lol. Just when did primary fire move to the right mouse button? Heh. Easily fixed though.

#34 swaaye, Oct 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2007
  15. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

That happened when the right trigger on the X360 pad was determined to be the primary fire, and the devs were too lazy to....I'll stop there. ;)

I really like the character designs... pretty freaky. The story seems interesting with the different eras being trapped in the place every time the place is opened up. But alas, like most games on PC, I usually wait months for the price to drop.

16. anaqer

Veteran

Same here... Y/X for strafing, A/S for jump/duck. Except for hairbrained games like Hitman and this one, it has always served me well. *shrug*