Clive Barker's Jericho demo impression.

ultragpu

Banned
anyone has tried them yet either on ps3 or 360? i've only played it on pc today, the graphics looked insane. very surreal and intense with the atmosphere. looked alot better in motion than screenies. it actaully played well surprisingly. the controls are easy to pick up, and switching teammates worked fine too. weapons and special moves are really nice, the melee is cool for close combat. only thing bugs the hell out of me is the "pressing keys according to signs" they're kinda long and hard to get them right. anyway would like to hear console owner's demo imrepssions. getting my ps3 demo now.

i played the PS3 version and the framerate is inconsistent but it looks decent. very dark game, good lighting, didn't notice much aliasing at all, but the framerate seems to be anywhere between 20-30fps (most of the time being in the lower 20's).

as for the game, i didn't enjoy it very much. it was decent fun with the QTE's and with the ability to play as different squad members. maybe i would have enjoyed it more if the framerate was more consistent.

Played yesterday. The game is very creepy, they put a orchestral soundtrack that makes you unease all the time. The game is kind of easy, but I guess since it is from the middle of the game, they toned down the difficulty a little bit. Initially, I thought it would be hard to learn/use special abilities of three different people, but it was not so hard. I had fun (and was nervous throughout the demo).. For horror/suspense lovers, I definitely recommend this game.

I played on 360. There was no framerate problem. I would say locked at 30 almost all the time. In only very few occassions, it drops down to 20ish, but very rarely. Btw, you really do need a TV with excellent contrast for this game, because it is really dark :)

i just played through the demo again and it was not as bad as i remember from yesterday. it definitely dips into the low 20's (rarely) but for the most part, it stays 25-30 (usually below 30 though).

Played yesterday. The game is very creepy, they put a orchestral soundtrack that makes you unease all the time. The game is kind of easy, but I guess since it is from the middle of the game, they toned down the difficulty a little bit. Initially, I thought it would be hard to learn/use special abilities of three different people, but it was not so hard. I had fun (and was nervous throughout the demo).. For horror/suspense lovers, I definitely recommend this game.

I played on 360. There was no framerate problem. I would say locked at 30 almost all the time. In only very few occassions, it drops down to 20ish, but very rarely. Btw, you really do need a TV with excellent contrast for this game, because it is really dark :)
i assume HDMI would help? plasma tv should also bring out the color more due to better contrast and shades of grey. im loving the game since im big time horror fan and this game with its brilliant design and visual and interesting gameplay should warrant me a must buy.

i just played through the demo again and it was not as bad as i remember from yesterday. it definitely dips into the low 20's (rarely) but for the most part, it stays 25-30 (usually below 30 though).
does the visual look on par with PC do you think?

i assume HDMI would help? plasma tv should also bring out the color more due to better contrast and shades of grey. im loving the game since im big time horror fan and this game with its brilliant design and visual and interesting gameplay should warrant me a must buy.

I have no idea. I played on an old DLP set using component cables. It was not bad, but I wish I had a TV with better birghtness/constrast.

My only complaint about the demo is too short. I wish they extend the play a little bit longer than that!

It played and looked better than I expected. But I can tell it's not realy my kind of game.

I didn't really have any issue with the frame rate when playing. Compared to The Darkness, it felt much smoother.

My impressions so far.
The game looks great with a nice unique style and lot's of detail and effects,but a little repetitive level design,but it's just a demo. I hope the rest of the game is more than just cramped dark corridor crawling.
As far as gameplay,I'm going to have to play it a few times to get the hang of the controls and use of powers. A little complicated at first and not the best explnations of certain abilities.
I could see the complicated nature of the controls hurting the pacing/flow/fun of the game.
This game looks to be pretty much a shooter,wrapped up in a horror theme. And since it's a shooter,with lot's of abilities and weapons,you should have space to move and dodge and shoot. I felt cramped and ended up not really playing with all the available stuff.
It looks good,but based on this little demo and my one time through it,didn't feel too good to play.

1) The graphics were decent, but nothing great.

2) The controls were difficult to use. Especially healing other players and switching from player to player.

3) I did not see a guide to the HUD anywhere. I did not even know where was my life meter.

It played and looked better than I expected. But I can tell it's not realy my kind of game.

I didn't really have any issue with the frame rate when playing. Compared to The Darkness, it felt much smoother.
i'm assuming you have the ps3 version. i'm quite sensitive to framerate drops, more so than most people. but again, after playing through it a second time, it wasn't as bad as i remember, definitely smoother than The Darkness overall.

I played the PS3 demo. It reminded me Darkness initially, even Hexen or Heretic at some point.

Good: Background video and the idea were nice. Teammate AI wasn't useless.

Bad: Gameplay (Most of the powers took a lot of time to setup with little effectiveness. In the end the only one I found useful in combat was guided sniping power. )
Demo was short.

Visually it was average, and didn't feel creepy (not that it needed to).

That said, it left a better taste than Darkness demo, still looked like a boring implementation of a good idea.

I personally liked it. The graphics aren't bad at all (I really like the style) and the gameplay takes a long time to get used to but if you do get used to it, it's very good. In case you didn't know, if you press the select/back button, it tells you what the primary and secondary powers of your character are. The AI is really good but the one problem I have with it is that the squad controls/AI while very good, weren't really shown that well in this demo because of every area basically being a long corridor. I mean the team members are all very different so they could have probably picked a better level to show this off with. The actual gunfights were pretty fun but it's obvious that with some players (the sniper specifically) you can't get up close at all and it's hard to keep aware of where everybody around you is when the game is this dark. The powers seem to be split between a defensive and offensive one but they're really not that simple when you consider how specialized each team member is. My favorite character to play as is the one with the machine gun and sword. She had decent firepower and it was really fun to parry and slice up enemies. This game seems like it would be the most fun with co-op (yeah even though you can't change characters) since then you can really make a plan to use your powers effectively.

Finally got around to giving this a play. I am a huge Barker fan and have been anticipating this game a lot.

I was overly pleased with the demo. I liked the setting of the demo, graphics were pretty good. I actually liked the switching between the characters, and found it rather intuitive once I got accustomed to it. I like the mix of their weapons, and their magical abilities, and some of the effects are damn nice.

I didn't see any framerate slow downs on the 360 version.

I can't wait to get the full release and see the variance between the levels. The demo is rather limiting in this regard, and you didnt really get a chance to use multiple strategies with the different members of the Jericho squad.

I don't remember seeing but will the full game offer any multiplayer?

Also, everything I am seeing is pointing to a 10/23 release date. That still seem to be on schedule?

Back