Climax: First next gen game development engine

megateto

Newcomer
Saw this first in my local forum, then in GAF.
Sure you will make a better use of this than me¡¡¡

Portsmouth, UK - Monday 17th November 2003: The Climax Group today announced a major technological breakthrough with the unveiling of its next generation game development engine, Blimey 2. Created by Climax's Core Technology Group (CTG), an internal team of expert programmers, the powerful cross-platform engine replaces Blimey 1 and consolidates the company's position at the forefront of cutting edge game development.

MotoGP 1 and 2: Ultimate Racing Technology, Hotwheels World Race, The Italian Job: LA Heist, ATV 2: Quad Power Racing and Rally Fusion: on paper these games seem to share little in common, but one thing binds them all - Blimey 1, Climax's first cross-platform game development engine. Acclaimed for its versatility, simplicity, power and user-friendliness, the engine enabled Climax to turn around PS2, Xbox, GameCube and PC games in double-quick time. And now, with a new generation of gaming platforms looming on the horizon, Climax has again stolen a technological march on its rivals by revamping the engine for PS3, Xbox 2 and PSP. Simply called Blimey 2, the new engine boasts a host of enhancements and improvements that will ensure Climax remains among the games development elite.

"The Blimey engine has served us well over the last couple years, but Blimey 2 takes us to another level" commented Karl Jeffery, CEO of Climax. "It's more powerful, more adaptable and, most importantly, it keeps us ahead of the competition. We've already got games in development that are using Blimey 2 and we're ready now for PS3, Xbox 2, PSP and any other next generation games platform."

Blimey 2's improvements include:

* New plug-in based rendering architecture allowing complete control of rendering.
* Massive terrains - dynamic LOD, streaming heightfields.
* Advanced particle systems - multiple chainable behaviors.
* Full screen effect - motion blur, depth-of-field, bloom effects.
* Highly optimized 4 pass rendering - allowing base texture, environment map, specular highlights and damage / scratches and scrapes.
* Advanced character animation - supporting blending, overlays, component animations, IK, ragdoll and event triggers.
* Solid multi-platform core libraries - streaming file systems, powerful memory management, optimizes vector mathematics.
* State-of-the-art sound rendering - Dolby Surround, 3D sounds with multiple realtime effects, streaming music.
* Highly optimized libraries - optimization using Sony's PS2 performance analyzer ensuring maximum performance.
* Fully cross-platform online support (including support for online API's such as Gamespy, Xbox Live, SCE-RT etc).
* DYNE2 highly advanced and optimized physics library - constraint based rigid body dynamics, adaptable, flexible and accurate collision detection, multi-body equation solver.
* Advanced AI framework and library for all racing games, including those that have split routes.
* Enhanced toolset allowing artists and designers greater control over fine tuning game assets for outstanding visuals and gameplay (Nipple, Tomcat).

What are the benefits of Blimey?

It enables the creative talents of developers within the Climax Group to concentrate on making the best games possible, without worrying about the hardware platform.

Key Features:

* Modular architecture
* Solid design principles
* Dedicated core development team
* Fully cross-platform
* Open and extensible

Performance Specs:
* 4 pass renderer - 12 million poly/sec
* Sprite renderer - 6 Million sprites/sec (12 M polys/sec), fully textured
* Terrain renderer - 10 million poly/sec
* Textures - 12MB per frame, fully managed
* Xbox - Full usage of both pixel and vertex shaders
* Hundreds of interactive objects in one scene
32 players online

-END-

Something stroke me as I read this: how much guessing are they making about how each machine works and how many FACTS they know for sure?

I suppose you can't make a multiformat development enviroment without really knowing what are you dealing with. I know there are emulators and such, but first they must have some real life-like numbers, don't they?

And is it "easy" to guess and begin to work on something, without fear of taking the wrong way? Or do they have insider information so that they don't come across with such issues?

PD: Sorry if I'm making dumb questions: you could well say that I'm clueless with all these things. So sorry in advance.

Looks like a fairly typical game engine. Nothing spectacular.

They are ready for the PS3. So what. Everyone is 'ready' for the PS3.

I'm 'ready' to win the lottery, I just haven't yet.

RenderWare is really bad compared to, most, in house game engines/tool chains.

RenderWare is really good compared to, all, other middleware solutions.

Tuttle said:

Now I got it. Thanks¡¡¡¡

Middleware has its uses. And it has gotten better over time.
I guess I'm just annoyed at its increasing popularity, since I prefer games that have dedicated technology. And I like to think that the hardware I purchase is actually getting utilized to the fullest extent.

Oooh Blimey!
Why does this press release (?) sounds like a joke? Also how can it be next generation as I was expecting at least 1 million polygons and particles per frame.. heh ;)

Tuttle said:

Renderware is better than most in-house developed engines.

Circa Sept 2001, Burnout 1, shifted more polygons than any other game on the PS2 at that time according to internal SCEE benchmarks.

Excerpt from old Criterion press release:

The latest version of RenderWare Platforms 2D/3D graphics game development module, RenderWare Graphics 3.2, has just been released and fully supports PlayStation®2 specific features. Offering even higher performance on PlayStation®2, version 3.2 also includes many enhancements to the art exporters and animation system, as well as new plugins.

Criterion’s new pipeline construction kit, PS2All, claims up to 400 percent performance increase over its previous pipeline, PS2 Manager, with in-game performance now averaging a stable 9+m polys/s. RenderWare Graphics 3.2 also supports asynchronous texture upload, which sends textures via path 3 and geometry via path 1. In addition, the Sony Performance Analyzer has been used to optimise the PlayStation®2 platform-specific implementation, improving overall performance for users. In order to make the art path more streamlined, RenderWare Graphics 3.2 exporters feature significant performance improvement, batch exporting and multiple UV support, as well as support for the latest releases of 3ds max [version 4 & Character Studio 3] and Maya [version 4].

Finally, RenderWare Graphics version 3.2 also features a curved surfaces plugin which allows developers to take advantage of PlayStation®2’s inherent strength to transport objects modelled as highly-efficient;control point; data (Bezier Patches) until rendering. This is an exceptionally efficient way of generating high quality, curved-surfaced objects whilst allowing the PlayStation®2’s maximum performance of 30m polys/s to be consistently reached.

.png

.png

.png

Fredi

PS: http://www.rogotworld.com/lastsmilies.php

Oh please.

"Renderware is better than most in-house developed engines."

Bullshit.

I've used RW. It was painful. The other generic middleware engines out there are worse though.

No one uses RW for its feature set or performance. It is used as a crutch for mostly middling sized development studios to put out games that don't need to compete on graphics.

Tuttle said:
Oh please.

"Renderware is better than most in-house developed engines."

Bullshit.

I've used RW. It was painful. The other generic middleware engines out there are worse though.

No one uses RW for its feature set or performance. It is used as a crutch for mostly middling sized development studios to put out games that don't need to compete on graphics.

Burnout2 was pretty though... but yeah, enough PR.... 30million polys on PS2??? no way... and not with a middleware for sure...
JAK2 must be pushing around a hell of a lot of polys and i dont think it goes further than 15 million and thats being optimistic.
none of the current gen consoles can push 30 million polys in game, not even PS2, unless the game is texture-less...

Back