Civilization V

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by bystander, Feb 18, 2010.

1. bystander

Regular

Didn't see any threads on this, but Firiaxis have recently announced Civilization V for the PC with a Fall 2010 release date.

There's not that much shown but here's a tidbit from the press release:

[​IMG]

After Civ IV I'm intrigued to see how much deeper they'll going to make the game as Civ IV was already a pretty big time sink. The fact you now have animated leaders speaking in their native language is interesting, wonder how that will be handled in diplomacy?

2. L233

Veteran

How it will be handled? I guess the animated leader will offer greetings and such in their native language and that's it.

Anyway, I want SMAC II. CIV has been done to death. I'm sick of the similar tech trees, the boring military units and the same old factions, most of which are kinda pointless in terms of what they offer gameplay-wise anyway. SMAC had cool technologies, the ability to customize units, awesome factions und the interesting interaction with the Planet. They could go batshit with new ideas for SMAC II. Sadly, they'll do what sells but Sid Meier must certainly get bored of doing nothing but always remaking the same game + expansions.

3. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

I'll allways want a new civ.

They are the same game with improvements but the original is perfect and these have only gotten better.

4. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

uh oh uh oh, can't wait for the sleepless nights

5. Silent_Buddha

Legend

ARGH. There goes a large chunk of my free time and "time I can't afford to use playing Civ that I'll end up using to play Civ anyways" when this get's released.

I can, of course, hope that Sid Meier doesn't have anything to do with this, and thus it won't be all that good and maybe I won't get hooked on it... :p

Anyone know if Sid has a hand in this?

Regards,
    SB

6. bystander

Regular

I was thinking that there wouldn't be any translation so you wouldn't be able to understand them straightaway, so it would feel like a foreign culture first contact scenario. But that probably wouldn't really make any sense and it'll probably be exactly like you mentioned.

SMAC was defintely more intriguing than Civ with the story and planet interaction, especially with the Alien Crossfire expansion. There's always hope for SMAC II though, as they've done remakes of Pirates, Colonization and Railroad Tycoon, but as you said I doubt it's high on their list of priorities. That said given it's modability (as they put it) I'm sure the community will be working on something. This SMAC Civ IV mod is a sort of promising start, but I guess we'll have to see how much more customizable Civ V is.

7. L233

Veteran

SMAC is the best CIV there is. The only flaw is that city spamming = victory, like in all old CIV games.

One thing I would REALLY like to see improved in the next CIV is warfare. It has always been broderline retarded in CIV. For a strategy game, preciously little strategy is needed to fight wars. Just bring superior forces. It's also extremely tedious and doesn't make any sense. Why does it take centuries to conquer a bunch of cities? Why do military units take years to travel short distances? Warfare has been in dire need of a complete overhaul/redesign since CIV2 but so far little has happened.

8. obonicus

Veteran

If EA had bought 2k back in 2008, maybe there would have been a new SMAC.

9. Squilliam

Squilliam Beyond3d isn't defined yet
    Veteran

The graphics look 'wrong' to me. But then again they have always looked 'wrong' on first impression even since Civ 2.

10. bystander

Regular

I'm not sure you could really change that part of the games mechanic though, otherwise you'd have an enormous number of turns just to get out of the dark ages. Anyway I wouldn't get your hopes up too much though, the only real mention of warfare in Civ V at the moment is the addition of ranged bombardment:

I can't really imagine it changing things though, like you said it's really down to just having superior forces not tactically out playing your opponent.

11. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I would love warfare to be totally rebuilt in Civ. But they must figure a way to do it without turning the game into something it isn't supposed to be.

12. Silent_Buddha

Legend

From that screen you can tell warfare is already revamped. I'd assume each unit in the "army" respresents 1 "hp" rather than the entire unit generally having what was it, 3 hp? Also each unit within the army could represent one "attack."

That said combat wasn't a main focus for Civ anyways. It was just one of many avenue's to "win."

Regards,
    SB

13. mcsven

Newcomer

Apparently there may be only 1 unit per tile... :runaway:

14. hoom

Veteran

Yay for change to a hex grid!
    Hopefully they'll finally manage to make it nearly impossible for a Phalanx to defeat Tanks & Battleships? 5th time's the charm? :roll:

I didn't much like SMAC really, much preferred Civilisation: Call to Power.
    It was a bit awkward but had vastly superior late game with the space layer, maglev trains & under-sea colonies.

15. jakobx

Newcomer

Yup..im still stuck at civ2. I bought civ3 but i have only played a few games. It just didnt feel right. I completely ignored civ4 because of the graphics. The size of units compared to the world just looks weird in 3d to me.

Anyway...just yesterday i found a patch that makes civ2 run on a 64 bit os and found a patch that fixes the overly aggressive AI in the latest version at the same time. I actually installed virtualPC just so i could run civ2 on my computer. I guess i wont need it anymore.

16. L233

Veteran

I'm not really talking about some tweaks to years/turn, I'd like to see something radically different. Maybe something more abstract and high-level than moving individual units across the map. Moving units tile by tile will always be idiotic when one turn lasts for several years, plus, it's tedious and I never found it to be fun.

#16 L233, Feb 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2010
  17. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Those who feel the gfx's are wrong, it helps when you zoom out, as it also changes the angle, so you still can play fromt straight 90 degrees angle

Interesting changes regarding warfare, but definately better than the current "if you're not winning, build more units" methodology

18. bystander

Regular

I can see where you're coming from, in that case as you say you'd probably have to get rid of the notion of units altogether and abstract it more it into forces which you contribute resources into and direct rather than elements you move directly. That would certainly remove a good degree of the micromanagement especially in the later stages when you end up with a large number of units but I think that might make you feel a bit more distant from your actions.

19. Silent_Buddha

Legend

WTF? Someone over there needs to lay off the crack pipe. Religion has been key in the advancement of civilization throughout history, whether good or bad. That's absolutely mind boggling that they would remove all affects it had on the historic developement of civilization.

Bleh, looks like rather than trying to produce a loosely historically accurate games, they'll just make up stuff for history instead...

Regards,
    SB

20. Squilliam

Squilliam Beyond3d isn't defined yet
    Veteran

You know it could just mean that countries are less likely to divide themselves along religeous lines. It seemed kind of an artificial way to cause conflict and can be horribly exploited by the player as well as turn severely against the player when say 5-6 states bordering are religeous and hate you. They probably make up for this with other mechanics.

I never liked having to keep an eye on the neighbouring civs civics or religeon. With more fighting over resources, more diplomatic options I don't see a need for these to be retained. It also means you can do in one screen what was requiring 3-5 different screens to manage.

One thing im looking forward to is the possibility of the AI to recognise a 'common enemy' and put aside their differences for the purpose of defeating one particular nation. At present the AI doesn't do jack if the biggest douche on the planet is sharing their religeon, especially isabella.

Regards,
    SB's mum.