Chinese "pirate"manufacturer patents iPhone 5 design

Discussion in 'Politics & Ethics of Technology' started by Kaotik, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/09/goophone-apple-iphone/

Goophone, known for "clone"models made from popular phones like HTC One S, Galaxy S3 and iPhone 4, has patented it's design for the new Goophone I5, which is exact replica of the leaked images of iPhone 5 in China - in practice this means that Goophone could sue Apple and possibly prevent any iPhone 5 sales in China.

2. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

Dammit, I intended to sell black rectangles in china. I wonder if they've patented the trapezoid yet.

3. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

The way I understood it, unlike in Apples patents, this isn't just "rectangle", but very specificly the Goophone I5 / iPhone5 design

4. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

If Apple were a russian corporation you'd find these Goophone owners/execs with their legs sticking out of the trunk of a stolen car in some alley somewhere, and with bulletholes in their heads for pulling such an outrageous stunt like this one.

5. Billy Idol

Legend Veteran

Lol, the world is crazy...industry espionage at its best: steal design, leak images in web, then patent the design...maybe I get a price for this new cool idea? Maybe 'Chinese Award for Fair Trade' or something like this...