CHECK YOUR TIRE PRESSURE!!!!!

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
Dang it, my Quest was dogging it on me sliding all over in only 4-6" of snow and I couldn't figure out why...'til I checked my tire pressure and found my front right wheel had 7lbs/psi of pressure! :?

25 more lbs/psi and I got me handling back all proper. :)

Just thought I'd share the reminder, I spaced how much pressure you can lose in your tires just going from hot-cold-hot-cold like that. :oops:

Don't you normally get better traction in snow/ice by dropping your tire pressure? And you improve your fuel efficiency and tire wear by going higher (to a point).

Granted 7psi is awfully low.

Killer-Kris said:
Don't you normally get better traction in snow/ice by dropping your tire pressure? And you improve your fuel efficiency and tire wear by going higher (to a point).

Granted 7psi is awfully low.
Yeah, but as you say 7psi is awfully low and that was just killing my overall handling.

She's nice and responsive now, snow is fun again! :D

A. YOU DIDN'T NOTICE FROM LOOKING AT IT, YOU MORON?!

B. snow. it was 70 out today. SO WEIRD.

C. monkeys. in your pants. right now. be careful.

The Baron said:

Modern tyres don't show it very much because of the steel belts in the sidewalls to prevent blowouts keep the tyre supported, and of course the wheel is in a well and not easy to see. They don't collapse down, even though the pressure is low and the contact patch is distorted away from the road surface.

That's why it's important to check your pressures regularly.

digitalwanderer said:
Dang it, my Quest was dogging it on me sliding all over in only 4-6" of snow and I couldn't figure out why...'til I checked my tire pressure and found my front right wheel had 7lbs/psi of pressure! :?

25 more lbs/psi and I got me handling back all proper. :)

Just thought I'd share the reminder, I spaced how much pressure you can lose in your tires just going from hot-cold-hot-cold like that. :oops:

You have a Quest?! ahaha, Quest, hahaha.

Oh wait, I have a Pontiac Transport. :( I should check my pressure too, maybe that will explain my 13 mpg.

Before long most cars in the US will notify you when the tire pressure is low. Some already do. I don't know if other goverments are mandating this. In my opinion it's a good thing.

digitalwanderer said:
PVR_Extremist said:
You Americans really should get more fuel efficient cars.....
What you talking about? My Quest gets 11.5mpg, 13mpg if'n I don't drive like a maniac. (So about 10mpg... :oops: )
I don't know if you was ironic, but that would be concidered horribly bad here.

My car is the second most fuel economic in its class... around 40MPG. Thing is to fill it costs about £30 ($60), wheras you guys can fill an engine double the size for about $8.50 ish....

No fair.

vb said:
digitalwanderer said:
The Baron said:
Not really. Low-profile radials just made it look a touch low.

Good old foot-kick will tell you every time. (once a week at least)

Defintely, I have good tires, but I still kick them every week or so. Had to fill them once in the year I've had the car... the pressure had dropped to ~19 (whatever the unit is) in most tires except the front left which was 17...

digitalwanderer said:
PVR_Extremist said:
You Americans really should get more fuel efficient cars.....
What you talking about? My Quest gets 11.5mpg, 13mpg if'n I don't drive like a maniac. (So about 10mpg... :oops: )
You must drive like a bat out of hell. That minivan is supposed to get 18-25.

Back