GeForce 520
GeForce GT 610
GeForce 430
GeForce 440
Geforce 8800GS
GeForce GT210
GeForce GT 610 (£4 over budget)
Radeon™ HD 6450

I did try to find some benchmarks its not just me being lazy ;)
Thanks...

I would say the 610? I'm no expert, but I JUST replaced my x1900xtx with a gtx650. I had to have my BIOS updated on my ANCIENT motherboard, but it ended up working. I started with a 620! I TOO was looking for a cheaper card. 610/620....650 were comparable. I'm playing Slyrim now on high settings. Anyway, it turned out my "drama" was due to motherboard BIOS update.

Geforce 440 has 300 gigaflops. It looks like the best performance for the buck. It has a tdp of 65W so it ought to run and being older it ought to be more compatible.

However the card ought to be either an AMD APU or GPU. :p

GT520 is pretty identical to GT610. I think they are pretty fine, though not the greatest stuff. But on such low end cards you have to compare the memory speeds (varies per vendor and specific model) and get the model with the faster memory (i.e. if one has 535MHz memory and another one 667MHz, the latter is much faster)

GT440 is much faster, by far the best one on the list. Actually strictly the same gen than the 520 and 610. But uses more power which is maybe significant if the gas guzzling Pentium 4 is on a 250W PSU in a very cramped case.. But that's not too much of a biggie. On this card, no silly game with memory or 64bit bus (GT430 with 64bit bus can exist I think, then it's a rip off)

Old cards like 6800GT, 7600GT were up to the task for the games and res you cite (cranked up all the way with AF and AA), I think a GT610 performs about the same. With GT440 you can probably play fine with 16xS AA for instance, or 8x MSAA.. With Far Cry, set some 4x or 8x MSAA, enable transparency AA in supersampling mode (this is done in the driver or something like nvidia inspector. It's best in a game profile).

Then Far Cry 1 looks totally gorgeous lol. Default setting (for all games except those that get a profile) can be 16x AF, and "8xSS" (mode made from 2x multisampling + 4x supersampling), "high quality", perhaps vsync + triple buffering.

Good time to upgrade from XP to Windows 7 if it hasn't be done (malware fest coming soon). New thermal paste maybe.

ps: how would those cards compare to a 8800gts ?

The GT440 compares perhaps to the very first 8800GTS (G80 based, with 96 SP) or the 9600GT, not so great compared to a beast like radeon 7750, gtx 650 but it's something über poweful for a pentium 4.

Are you sure his motherboard supports PCI-Express?

The GT440 should really be in a higher class than all the others, not to mention it's still quite up-to-date.

Back