Cheap/Quiet Socket A CPU replacement heatsink/fan

Fred da Roza

Newcomer
Anybody have a suggestion on a cheap, relatively quiet, socket A heatsink/fan? Right now I'm looking at a Thermaltake Volcano 10+ which is selling at $29.00 Canadian.

Can you find a used Thermalright SK-7 or AX-7? Add a slow 80mm fan, or the Zalman fan arm bracket and 92mm fan, and you should be set.

I posted to you over at aceshardware as well but I might as well pull off another post at B3d. B3d's forum seems less public somehow.

I highly recommend an arctic cooling hsf. It's not something you'd wan't to overclock with, at least not much but it's a great heatsink for anything else. even at full speed the fan is very quiet and with the temperature controlled variant (costs the same) it's almost inaudiable most of the time.

I've been using them for friends comps and my own rigs and the fans are still quiet after almost three years so I'm pretty sure they won't start to start whining after just a few weeks of use. Unlike the chipsetfan on, say an Asus A8N -SLI. What a cheap POS fan that is! Quality my behind!

Sorry about that part. Temps ususally hover around 50C at full tilt, 54-55 if you overclock. Totally useless numbers for you I know but it's not like it's costing me anything to put them out there. The TC variant has higher idle temps as well though that is to be expected.

{Sniping}Waste said:
This works realy good and mounts a 70mm fan. I have a supplier here that sells them for $12 US. It has a forged copper bottom and Au fins.
http://www.cooljag.com/p3_d_JVC558A.htm
Snipe sent me one of these and they freaking ROCK! I'm using it on my son's PC Blackwell right now and it hasn't given me a lick of trouble and is quiet and keeps the CPU nice and cool whilst overclocked. :)

Blackwell Barton 2500+ (12x175), K7N2-L, 2x256MB PC3200, FX 5950 Ultra, Fortissimo II, DVD, 10/100NIC, 80GB WD w/8MB cache

digitalwanderer said:
{Sniping}Waste said:
This works realy good and mounts a 70mm fan. I have a supplier here that sells them for $12 US. It has a forged copper bottom and Au fins.
Snipe sent me one of these and they freaking ROCK! I'm using it on my son's PC Blackwell right now and it hasn't given me a lick of trouble and is quiet and keeps the CPU nice and cool whilst overclocked. :)

Blackwell Barton 2500+ (12x175), K7N2-L, 2x256MB PC3200, FX 5950 Ultra, Fortissimo II, DVD, 10/100NIC, 80GB WD w/8MB cache

The cooljag I posted is not the same HSF I sent you. This one is better and has about dubble the surface area. It came out about a year ago. It can be very quiet with a the right fan and with a 70mm mount for the fan, it will be easier to find a quiet fanthat will do the job.

Ah, thanks for the clarification...and the heatsink. :)

I'd trust Snipes opinion, he knows that of which he speaks. If he says it's good, it's good.

I've used Cooljags in many computers, and they are veru good, cost effective heatsinks. The link I gave has the CoolJag JVC258A Cooler for AMD XP 3200+/MP 2800+ for $8.99 + +6.99 shipping. Of course, it's more cost effective to order more than one as the shipping is the same!

Moffell said:
I posted to you over at aceshardware as well but I might as well pull off another post at B3d. B3d's forum seems less public somehow.

I highly recommend an arctic cooling hsf. It's not something you'd wan't to overclock with, at least not much but it's a great heatsink for anything else. even at full speed the fan is very quiet and with the temperature controlled variant (costs the same) it's almost inaudiable most of the time.

I've been using them for friends comps and my own rigs and the fans are still quiet after almost three years so I'm pretty sure they won't start to start whining after just a few weeks of use. Unlike the chipsetfan on, say an Asus A8N -SLI. What a cheap POS fan that is! Quality my behind!

Sorry about that part. Temps ususally hover around 50C at full tilt, 54-55 if you overclock. Totally useless numbers for you I know but it's not like it's costing me anything to put them out there. The TC variant has higher idle temps as well though that is to be expected.

The Artic Cooler seems to fit the bill, cheap, quiet and not to heavy. It's an old Thunderbird core 1.133 Ghz. I'm giving it to my parents and wanted to change the fan because the bearings are whinning for the first few minutes when it starts. I also find the Orb that I originally bought a bit too loud. I get the feeling it's not a well known cooler though because 3 local stores I check in Montreal don't have it.

{Sniping}Waste said:
digitalwanderer said:
{Sniping}Waste said:

The cooljag I posted is not the same HSF I sent you. This one is better and has about dubble the surface area. It came out about a year ago. It can be very quiet with a the right fan and with a 70mm mount for the fan, it will be easier to find a quiet fanthat will do the job.

So the stock fan is loud?

digitalwanderer said:
Moffell said:
B3d's forum seems less public somehow.
Y'know, if'n I worked at B3D I think I would take that as a compliment. :)

Although maybe the term, "less touristy" would fit better.... ;)

They're both good, just at different things. When you make a post at aceshardware it's more "out" there, in your face so to speak. Here it's better confided, hidden away you might say.

Aceshardware is great for following discussions and you don't need tons of quotes to follow the flow of the argument. I think aceshardware would have developed quite differently with another type of forum. Or maybe that's just me?

OTOH B3d's structure makes it easier to ignore threads that doesn't interest you. I like 'em both to put it succintly

Fred da Roza said:
{Sniping}Waste said:
digitalwanderer said:
{Sniping}Waste said:

So the stock fan is loud?

No but its average. If you want very very quiet, I would spend the extra $7 for a quieter 70mm fan but the fan that comes with the heatsink is not realy loud or quiet.

Moffell said:
Aceshardware is great for following discussions and you don't need tons of quotes to follow the flow of the argument. I think aceshardware would have developed quite differently with another type of forum. Or maybe that's just me?

The Aces board is definitely easier to follow and reply. Just reply and insert your response where appropriate. Graphics however IMO are a little bit more interesting than processors (which Aces seems to be centered around).

{Sniping}Waste said:
No but its average. If you want very very quiet, I would spend the extra $7 for a quieter 70mm fan but the fan that comes with the heatsink is not realy loud or quiet.

It's for my parents. They are old and deaf :D .

What is your idea of average. Wouyld you consider the Thermaltake Orb (the original) average. Maybe because I kept the PC on my desk I found it a bit annoying but that was too loud for me.

Fred da Roza said:
Only two, I thinking thats a slow day for you :D . Or do you me 2 others besides EB?
Nope, it's mainly just here and EB now. I've kind of mellowed over the past few years and haven't actually spent as much time on the boards, life sort of keeps me hopping and my family takes priority over me hobby.

I still like to play butterlfy all over the net though. I almost fell over laughing yesterday when someone posted up this link to a thread at XtremeSystems where an ATi guy is asking what their community would like to see in an ATi overclocking utility.

I wanted to post up my two bits but didn't want to register, so on a whim I just entered my username/password and found out I was a member there since 2002! :LOL:

Bubbles, (my PC, I name 'em), was listed in my sig there with a PIII800@933 and a GF2 MX400! (She's a barton 12x200 w/X800 TT now! :LOL: )

Warm tinglies, it's all good. 8)

Back