Cheap(ish) MS Points (UK)

Gerry

Regular
For the UK based Xbox 360 owners out there. Just thought I'd mention that Tesco are currently selling MS points pretty cheaply - it's normally a bugger to find anywhere that's sells them at a decent discount.

Tesco Offer

£13.97 for 2100 points and free delivery using the "Freedel" code at checkout. There's also a bit of bug in the free delivery calculation which means you can get the points even more cheaply if you buy more than one at a time. 2x2100 points = £26.65. 3x2100 poins=£39.93. If you feel so inclined the cheapest you can get them for is 10x2100 points for £128.09.

2100 points for 13.97 pounds ? Thats not to bad is it. Right now at target 1600 points are $15 usd.

2100 points for 13.97 pounds ? Thats not to bad is it. Right now at target 1600 points are $15 usd.
not bad? depends, the 'bargain' UK points are still ~30% more expensive than the 'normal' US points.
similar story as always, if youre not in the US or the far east, you get screwed.
now ok I see how they get away with it with bricks and mortar stores, but I believe these points are used to buy things that are downloaded digitally, thus the location of the enduser should have no bearing on the cost.

not bad? depends, the 'bargain' UK points are still ~30% more expensive than the 'normal' US points.
similar story as always, if youre not in the US or the far east, you get screwed.
now ok I see how they get away with it with bricks and mortar stores, but I believe these points are used to buy things that are downloaded digitally, thus the location of the enduser should have no bearing on the cost.

Normaly there are 1600 points at $20 and 4000 points at $50 here in the states. So under 14 pounds isn't bad. Thats about what $26 or so in usd ?

Well I got 4200 points for £26.65, which translates to roughly 85pts/$. A quick look at Amazon.Com shows them selling points for 80pts/$ - so it's a slightly better deal at the moment. Of course there may be US discounts around (like the Target offer mentioned below).

Where we DO miss out big time is gold membership. $45/year in the US on Amazon compared to $65 in the UK (45% more).

And the other thing that seems ridiculous is that to buy these MS points I have to be sent two scratch cards each enclosed in a plastic case. Seems nonsenical to waste so much crap on a 15 digit code that could be sent electrionically by email.

And the other thing that seems ridiculous is that to buy these MS points I have to be sent two scratch cards each enclosed in a plastic case. Seems nonsenical to waste so much crap on a 15 digit code that could be sent electrionically by email.
I agree completely. Point cards come in so much plastic and paper waste for what is effectively a 15-digit code. MS should cut the junk wrapping, email the code (or directly add them to my Live account) and past the cost onto us as consumers.

You were once able to buy Microsoft Points via the Zune web site at whatever value you wanted via a credit card. I think it was a beta service called InstaBuy announced last December, but it's no longer available. You can still order them via a Zune account, but they are in the following increments: $5, $15, $25, $50.

Go to https://points.microsoft.com/ and log into your LiveID account. There will be a link to the Zune account that will let you buy them. I wished they would get their Gifting program back up. It would be so nice to be able to send or receive MS Points.

Tommy McClain

Back