Cheap Graphics card

zed

Legend
Im looking for a cheap display port graphics card. I thought I could get by with onboard @ 30hz, and whilst its usable (been suffering this way for 2 months) but the slow refresh's are a bit annoying on some webpages

want -
- cheap
- quiet / low power, passive cooled if possible
- DP so 4k @ 60hz
-EDIT: also drives second screen HDMI/DVI 1920x1200@60

maybe -
- 10bit color (as my monitor is 10bit) but not a deal breaker

dont want -
- I don't play games, so power is unimportant

So what are my options? ta

Last edited:
ta guys, perhaps have a look under here
http://pricespy.co.nz/category.php?o=produkt_pris_inkmoms&m=s214845255#rparams=m=s214845301

I don't want to spend more than $300, perhaps?

PNY Quadro K420 DP 1GB
Leadtek Quadro K600 DP 1GB

from what I've read quadro has 10bit color, normal geforce is only 8bit, then again from reading ppl say its hard for the eye to tell the difference between the two?
Does any of the other ones stand out?

edit: Also Whats just accorded to me, Does it have enuf grunt to drive both a 4k display port & 1920x1200 dvi/hdmi both @60 at the same time, anyone have any experiences with 4k & something else

So what are my options? ta

ta guys, perhaps have a look under here

Stupid question but what does "ta" mean?

Does it have enuf grunt to drive both a 4k display port & 1920x1200 dvi/hdmi both @60 at the same time, anyone have any experiences with 4k & something else

I have no experience with 4k whatsoever, so somebody else can help you better, but the card I suggested has a 128bit bus to GDDR5@effective5000mhz memory. This leads to about 80GB/s bandwidth... 4k@60 is approx 2GB/s just for refreshing the screen and your 1920 res is a quarter that... so from a bandwidth perspective you're covered. Hopefully someone with experience can help you.

That card doesnt support 4k
4k@60 is approx 2GB/s
perhaps, I havent checked, I assume your maths is correct then again HDMI has bandwidth (according to google) 10.2GB/s but it can only do 4k@30hz max!
As I have said here multiple times over the years, Im not a theory person, Im a reality / empirical person, i.e not it SHOULD but it WILL

Actually thinking about this some more over the last day or so, having a second 1920x1200 screen attached to the card is important.

It has displayport why wouldnt it support 4k ?
It should support eyefinity which is at least 6x 1080p

edit: 4k support under linux, need to patch the drivers under windows
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=381266
according to amd you need a 7,000 series for official 4k windows support
cheapest 4k amd card at that web site is r7 240 for $75
cheapest 4k card is the gtx 650 $125

Last edited:
then again HDMI has bandwidth (according to google) 10.2GB/s
Your uppercase B should be lower ie 10.2Gb/s... 10.2/8 = 1.275GB/s. That's not including line overhead and potentially any frame overhead if the standard is packet based.
The only reason I mentioned it is because a. I would be wary of a car salesman who tries to tell you that you can win an F1 race with a volkswagon beetle ie ads that say it's capable but is not practically which happens alot with lower end models and sales. And b. I don't know what kind of overdraw is involved with everyday (non-performance) tasks but overdraw eats bandwidth.

What about the new Quadro K620?
AFAIK it should support everything you want, has the best drivers around for Windows and Linux, and will probably be better supported for a longer period of time than the alternatives.

Your uppercase B should be lower ie 10.2Gb/s
Yes I checked again and I was wrong, you are correct.
It has displayport why wouldnt it support 4k ?
It saiz on the specs page 2560x1600 max res

though perhaps its wrong
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=381266
AMD support claims that "4K Resolution in Windows is only supported in the Radeon HD 7xxx series and later" and that "Custom monitor resolutions are only offered with the FireGL line of cards".

@rcf yes Im looking at the Quadro hard, though last time I knew anything about cards, years ago. Theres not much difference between those & geforce except price/drivers (IIRC nvidia would purposely cripple the geforce cards?)

yes Im looking at the Quadro hard, though last time I knew anything about cards, years ago. Theres not much difference between those & geforce except price/drivers (IIRC nvidia would purposely cripple the geforce cards?)
Yes, it's just different firmware and drivers, but it looks like you'll need a "pro" card to get all you want.
The K620 is based on Maxwell while the K420 and K600 are Kepler. Another option is the FirePro W2100.
If 10bit color is not essential then I'd look at fanless GT 730 since it's a tiny card, but I'm not sure it's available with a DP connector (most have only DVI+HDMI+VGA).

I'm pretty sure the K620 is Kepler (if only due to the leading letter), and that it uses a GK107 GPU.
Quadro 410 seems to be the same as K600 and K620, only the GPU is most crippled (one SMX, 64bit memory bus)
K620 has a bigger fan on pictures though.

Some stuff seems limited to 2560x1600 (Quadro NVS, old FirePro models) but perhaps it's just that some of the stuff is old and has Displayport 1.1 output (not 1.2)

FirePro W2100 would be the better card in price/specs : two DP, with adapter to single-link DVI included ; priced a bit above the Quadro 410 but with the memory bus uncrippled. So it can support two 4K monitors (or a single 5K one), though unlike the Quadros it lacks dual link DVI would you need that (currently not)

Worse linux drivers on the FirePro but they improve them, work on a new driver architecture..

I'm pretty sure the K620 is Kepler (if only due to the leading letter), and that it uses a GK107 GPU.
Wikipedia, Anandtech and Develop3d claim that K620, K1200 and K2200 are Maxwell (GM107) while the rest is Kepler.

FirePro W2100 would be the better card in price/specs : two DP, with adapter to single-link DVI included ; priced a bit above the Quadro 410 but with the memory bus uncrippled. So it can support two 4K monitors (or a single 5K one), though unlike the Quadros it lacks dual link DVI would you need that (currently not)
FirePro W2100's datasheet reads: "With two discrete DisplayPort outputs with DisplayPort 1.2a support, the AMD FirePro W2100 can drive one 4K display at 60Hz or drive up to two 4K displays at 30 Hz".
So now I'm not sure if the FirePro can really support 4K + FullHD both at 60Hz (with 10bit color on the 4K display but 8bit on the FullHD display). And now I'm not sure about the K620 as well.

Back