Chances for Nvidia Chipset again?

Even if NV get a license the point is... ?

Intel is aggressively moving with PCIe integration in every processor with the SB platform coming next year. What they will be left to sell is yet another south bridge on the slow DMI bus, that won't be any cheaper than Intel's bundle.

But, hey -- with all the rumors of scrapped overclocking on LGA1155, there could be a room for competitive innovation. ;)

I only see action against the anti competitive practices, nothing that includes forcing intel to give out QPI licenses to everyone...
But for instance the bundling of Atom and 945GP (for a price less than the cpu alone) would probably not be allowed anymore. But with Pineview it doesn't matter anyway - there's only the PCIe 1x bus to connect a seperate GPU to anyway..

It sounds like really good news for the industry. I was worried that the antitrust process was winding down after AMD caved in for a relative pittance, but this may open the door to new opportunities all around.

It sounds like really good news for the industry. I was worried that the antitrust process was winding down after AMD caved in for a relative pittance, but this may open the door to new opportunities all around.

It doesn't.

Among other things, the settlement prohibits Intel from using threats, bundled prices, or other offers to exclude or hamper sales of rival CPUs and GPUs by computer manufacturers and retailers.

Intel is also required to extend its licensing agreement with Taiwan-based Via Technologies Inc for its x86 computer architecture for five years beyond the current agreement, which expires in 2013, and revise its intellectual property agreements with other chipmakers so they can feel free to evaluate mergers or joint ventures with other businesses without fear of being sued by Intel for patent infringement -- a clear reference to AMD's GlobalFoundries spinoff.

Furthermore, Intel must maintain the PCI Express Bus interface "in a way that will not limit the performance of graphics processing chips" for at least six years and it must disclose when their compilers discriminate between Intel chips and non-Intel chips in any way that could result in code running less efficiently with competing microprocessors.

Intel isn't admitting to any wrongdoing, however, and merely notes that the move allows it "to put an end to the expense and distraction of the FTC litigation." The complete settlement terms are available in a PDF document here, if you care to go through the whole legalese. What doesn't seem to be covered is the chipset licensing snafu that currently prevents Nvidia from making chipsets compatible with Nehalem-based CPUs.
http://www.techspot.com/news/39872-intel-settles-antitrust-suit-with-ftc-admits-no-wrongdoing.html

I suspect that Intel convinced the FTC that as they were integrating the CPU and IGP there would be no need for a competing Nvidia solution and that AMD was doing the same.

I suspect that Intel convinced the FTC that as they were integrating the CPU and IGP there would be no need for a competing Nvidia solution and that AMD was doing the same.

There's a lawsuit going on between Intel and NVIDIA about the licensing issue. I don't think the FTC was willing to meddle into that, or even competent to do so.

But it really doesn't matter. QPI/DMI license or not, NVIDIA is out of the chipset market, and I think they know it. The lawsuit is most likely just about damages.

Oh so fiiiiiiiinally nVidia is buying VIA. ;)

I'd doubt there'd really be a low-end market for nVidia post mature "Fusion"s though. Plain economics of scale... and nVidia's not really a company who would want to battle losing games on such a big field.

Regarding Nehalem... KT800 vs nF3? Big deal-esque? Too late. It's all about the damages now, whatever non-financial wiggle space nV gets from this is probably less than AMD (considering the Gloflo split/x86 bondages liberated etc)

Nvidia has a separate lawsuit filed regarding the chipset snafu. It is scheduled to be heard later this year.

Nvidia has a separate lawsuit filed regarding the chipset snafu. It is scheduled to be heard later this year.

Apparently, it's coming soon:

Chuck Mulloy, a spokesman for Intel, said, “There is nothing to comment on. He has said this many times before and it’s not new. We are continuing to prepare for an August trial in this contract dispute in Chancery Court in Delaware.”

http://venturebeat.com/2010/04/07/nvidia-chief-on-intel-lawsuit-i-want-our-day-in-court/

Nevermind, in this video from 2 days ago, JHH says "towards the end of the year".

Indeed, Huang seems to relish his role as would-be Intel scourge as he readies for that trial, set to start in Delaware Chancery Court in December. "I am expecting to testify," he says, "and I'm looking forward to it."

I guess it was postponed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if NV get a license the point is... ?

Intel is aggressively moving with PCIe integration in every processor with the SB platform coming next year. What they will be left to sell is yet another south bridge on the slow DMI bus, that won't be any cheaper than Intel's bundle.

But, hey -- with all the rumors of scrapped overclocking on LGA1155, there could be a room for competitive innovation. ;)

The Chipset would be Southbridge + GPU. That is at least some interesting networking, Audio, SATA and USB 3 tech that could be included.

And The point is they shouldn't be limited to DMI. The have a license for making Chipset. And that license does not specify that chipset is limited to FSB only. It is like signup for an Mobile Connection with 3G, you couldnt just suddenly stop my connection ( without compensation ) because you change to an WiMax Network.

But now that VIA 's x86 license is fully transferable. Nvidia may finally pick them up.

The Chipset would be Southbridge + GPU. That is at least some interesting networking, Audio, SATA and USB 3 tech that could be included.

I'll pass on Nvidia SATA and networking. No thanks.

And The point is they shouldn't be limited to DMI. The have a license for making Chipset. And that license does not specify that chipset is limited to FSB only. It is like signup for an Mobile Connection with 3G, you couldnt just suddenly stop my connection ( without compensation ) because you change to an WiMax Network.

You are making assumptions about a contract that neither you nor I have any knowledge of. We don't know what was in the contract, how it was worded, or what the limitations were. But, in general, it is out of the norm for any company to give open ended licensing contracts, with the normal case being licensing of specific technologies. Within that context, it is certainly reasonable that the license only pertained to FSB and likely only to a subset of FSB applications.

But now that VIA 's x86 license is fully transferable. Nvidia may finally pick them up.

Apparently Nvidia burned a lot of bridges last time they sat down with VIA. Its unlikely that VIA is going to be accommodating to Nvidia in this regard.

I'll pass on Nvidia SATA and networking. No thanks.
They've come around when they absorbed ULi ... now "their" chipsets are rock solid and power efficient.

Personally, I want something new on the AMD side of things, with an updated IGP. Geforce 8200/8300 is a bit long in the tooth now.

Apparently Nvidia burned a lot of bridges last time they sat down with VIA. Its unlikely that VIA is going to be accommodating to Nvidia in this regard.

Then again, VIA is public, isn't it? So a hostile takeover is possible, should it come to that.

I think it's too late anyway, but does NVIDIA really have a better choice?

Does VIA have a Poison Pill clause?

You are making assumptions about a contract that neither you nor I have any knowledge of. We don't know what was in the contract, how it was worded, or what the limitations were. But, in general, it is out of the norm for any company to give open ended licensing contracts, with the normal case being licensing of specific technologies. Within that context, it is certainly reasonable that the license only pertained to FSB and likely only to a subset of FSB applications.

You are right. But from the few sources i read, all of them point to contract has no mention of FSB.
Of coz, they may be false.

They've come around when they absorbed ULi ... now "their" chipsets are rock solid and power efficient.

Personally, I want something new on the AMD side of things, with an updated IGP. Geforce 8200/8300 is a bit long in the tooth now.

I was about to mention ULi, which has some of the best SATA controller. The return of SoundStorm would be nice as well.

Back