Challenge: Need portable laptop for =< 400

Only for word, email, net and msn so no need to be powerful but I'm looking for something around 4lbs with good battery life. The only new laptop that seems to fit the criteria is the Asus Eee PC, and I'd obviously be willing to look at used laptops as well I'm just not sure of what make/model to look for. Suggestions needed!

You want a super-compact laptop and cheap? Either the EEE Pc or look for a used one, I have a old Thinkpad X31 that I use the crap out of and it works mostly great to this day. It has an annoying "pause for 10-15 secs if you add a USB device" thing that I've never figured out, but other than that it's small, has the trackpoint (plus or minus depending on taste) and with a new battery it gets around 6 hours of battery life on max savings.

You're asking a lot for the money. An super compact tips the scale on price a bit more, so you're going to have to look at the new Eee PC from Asus or (and what I'd do) buy used.

yeah used is probably my best bet eh? I usually try to stay away from used components for various reasons but given my budget I may just have to give in a little. What models should I be looking for besides the X31?

yeah used is probably my best bet eh? I usually try to stay away from used components for various reasons but given my budget I may just have to give in a little. What models should I be looking for besides the X31?

I see X31's going for around $300 on ebay, that's almost cheap enough to get a new battery for it, I'd try to grab one for $200 and order a fresh battery.

My battery is the original one and now it's only got about an hour left in it. Sometimes I wish I could get a NiMH battery for mine, sure it wouldn't give as much runtime as the LiON, but it might last longer.

Back