Chairs.

Tim Murray

the Windom Earle of mobile SOCs
Veteran
I need a swivel chair for my computer. My current one sucks and is falling apart, and since I just bought a Dell 2407, I would like to sit comfortably and enjoy it. I am not adverse to spending money, either!

Recommendations?

Wow, sweet looking but way too pricey for me.

Any <$100 recommends? I need a new chair too, the puppies tore up the butt cushion on this one.

Might sound stupid B, but did you check your chair to see if the bolts are loose/missing from it?

Every few months I flip mine and tighten everything up, makes a world of difference.

Ah, not good. I've snapped a few structural supports on a couple of mine before and there just ain't a whole lot left to do at that point but replace. :(

6 years?! That's fantastic. I'm lucky to get three out of mine, I think this one is 2-1/2.

I'll just get another $50 leather 'xecutive chair, whichever one I like best of what's on sale locally I'd guess. :)

Well, I'm very happy with my Interstuhl Goal from a price/performance view. It cost me about €700 (incl. 20%VAT) with head rest, height/length/angle adjustable arm rests and depth/angle adjustable seat as extras - which is rather cheap for a good synchronous mechanics chair. I've looked at models from other companies like Sedus, Vitra, Hag etc. which would have been great - but sadly outside my price range...and I absolutely _needed_ a chair to lean back and relaaaaax when I want to...:)
Oh, and it comes with 5 year warranty.

Too bad I don't know of US distributors...

@digi: <$100? Do yourself a favor and shell out a bit more for the furniture you are spending a lot of your lifetime on. (Important: a chair which you can adjust to your anatomy) Your spine will thank you for it in the future...

Snyder - I got used to sleeping on concrete and tend to slouch into anything that looks halfway comfortable to me, the only thing I worry about posture wise really are my wrists..which I'm sort of insanely careful with. :LOL:

I just want something comfy & sturdy, that's about it. Come to think of it, I could probably get my wife to get me one tomorrow for my birthday. :)

/me goes to a more serious chair hunting mode!

I'd urge anyone buying a chair to actually go and sit on some at a store. What looks good in a catalogue might be absolute posture- and spine-wrecking hell on earth when it arrives and you finally park your ass and see what it's like.

When I bought my current chair I went to Staples and spent an hour (I kid you not) sitting on their display chairs for minutes at a time in my usual sitting positions to see what worked best for me.

Ended up choosing a £50 chair that looks unassuming, especially compared to the £LOL Aerons and what have you that they also had.

Given that I argue that your chair and desk are as important as your other HIDs when using a PC, and that class of device is more important than anything inside your PC's case by far, you owe it to yourself to try before you buy in this case.

Given that I argue that your chair and desk are as important as your other HIDs when using a PC, and that class of device is more important than anything inside your PC's case by far, you owe it to yourself to try before you buy in this case.
Damned straight! I put the chair up there with keyboard/mouse for how important it is.

I always look online, but then go try them out to make sure. I've had the same thing as you Rys; an expensive chair that looked great hurt to sit in...the $65 one next to it felt faboo to me.

(I actually have a pain in my back today too, but that's from a bloody puppy or two sleeping funny on me yesterday)

I used to think the same way until I had this pain in the back. This chair was part of my solution to the problem.
I really don't get pains like that, I think I'm a bit odd that way. As much as I love comfort, I'm really good at doing without it without suffering ill effects like that. (knock-wood!)

Back