Cg/HLSL binding semantics reference

AndyS

Newcomer
I'm looking for a reference on the interpolator binding semantics for Cg/HLSL (i.e. semantics for binding to the inputs of pixel shaders from vertex shader outputs).

All the books/tutorials obviously use the most common ones (COLOR, TEXCOORD0, TEXCOORD1 etc.) but I want a definitive list of all of 'em, preferably with their size/range restrictions. Anyone seen such a doc anywhere?

As far as I know my shiny new Geforce7 has 15 interpolators, but I don't know what they're called so I can't use 'em! :(

Thanks,
Andy.

AndyS said:
As far as I know my shiny new Geforce7 has 15 interpolators
Whoa, really? That's quite a few.

If they were going in this direction, why didn't they ask microsoft to make the spec more flexible? They've had PS3 pretty much all to themselves for a while. Maybe it was a only decided in early 2004 or something.

Mintmaster said:
Whoa, really? That's quite a few.

If they were going in this direction, why didn't they ask microsoft to make the spec more flexible? They've had PS3 pretty much all to themselves for a while. Maybe it was a only decided in early 2004 or something.

Yeah, that's just what I heard, could well be wrong though. One of the reasons why I 'd like some better documentation :)

The official doc is pretty good, but it's not 100% complete, I guess it depends on the exact card. I've seen a ps_3_0 card that still restricts COLOR interpolators to 0->1, and I can read the FOG interpolator as a pixel shader input, even though it's not in the Input list in the docs. I'd just like something more upto date I guess.

I'd also like to find some reference for vertexshader input semantics for GL, rather than dx...

Back