CES 2007: Sharp LCD 108" Display, Deceptive

Berek

Regular
Well, not exactly fake. While I didn't take a photo of it, the 108" display was rather impressive, at first. It was only an LCD, so the color degradation was obvious. I expected that much at least so that wasn't really the troublesome part. What was particularly a problem was when you got within a reasonable viewing distance, say 25 feet or closer. You could very clearly see the division down the vertical axis of the display, separating the two parts.

That's right, this display isn't really 108" technically, it's two smaller displays glued together, or however they bind them. While this wouldn't be a problem normally, as the entire display merges the feed from both sides perfectly, the bridge between both displays is still obvious, unfortunately.

This reminds me of the days of Sony's CRT's with their Trinitron's damper wires. "If you don't think about it than its fine...", or certain dead pixel policies. "That bright green consistent dot is normal, sorry no warranty applies!" Yeah right... blasphemy.

Are you certain this was the Sharp? No other website has mentioned this AFAIK.

Now the LG LCD panel WAS two panels squished together and this was noticeable as there were fairly obviously lighting differences between the two.

Back