Certain 360 games to require HDD??

This is something that I sort of saw coming. If true then I hope it won't segment the 360 market too much, as that is always a bad thing looking at past experiences. It could be a good thing for MS if they make money off of individual hard drives that are bought. It could spurn a customer to buy a game and a hard drive. On the flipside it could also cause the dev/pub to lose a sale of the game.

There have been games that required a HDD almost since launch. This isn't new, and neither is that icon. There's no evidence that MS are dropping the Core either.

As for their blurb about the game size and AI that the original Xbox was capable of being because of the HDD, that's not true. Neither is it true to say that the HDD meant you could fit more data on the DVD.

That's a none article based on rumours currently floating around the internet, mistakes, presenting an old icon as as new, and supposition.

We already know that games can require the HDD, and that MS can allow the HDD to be used to get around DVD space limitations if they so wish. Time to magic up a "headline news" article...

Outside a few PC ports of MMoRPGs it is not going to happen. The core is part of MS long term stratagy they are not going to screw core users over. MS wants that ultra cheap SKU to get to the sub 200 dollar the sub 150 dollar price point asap.

This article is total bunk.

As many people will remember, the original XBOX was capable of some very large games that contained great AI and graphics for the time. To put it simply, this was possible because the data on the DVD was able to be compressed quite heavily, because it was then streamed off the disc and uncompressed in the HDD that every original XBOX had. This allowed for shorter (and less frequent) load times and also allow for much more data to be placed on the DVD

Uh yeah, I'm sure B3Ders can spot the problems there.

Also, the "article" starts off with the assumption the Core has been discontinued, which of course is totally false, and MS has reitirated that many times just in the last few days.

More debunking from Shane Kim

There was a rumor that Grand Theft Auto IV is not going to be compatible with the Core system because the game may require a hard drive. Is incompatibility with the Core model something Microsoft can't allow, or are you flexible on issues like this?

SK: No, we want to support all of the Xbox 360s, otherwise it becomes very confusing. We really want to avoid that as much as possible.

So what would you say if Rockstar Games demanded you have a hard drive if you want to play GTAIV on the Xbox 360?

SK: We get to make the call on who gets published on our platform...[inaudible] we'd push back on any publisher saying things like that.

It really makes sense from a corporate perspective. There are plenty of core systems in the wild and MS cant afford to segment some 360's from others like that after the fact.

So you really should expect few or no "HDD required" games in the future as a matter of corporate policy.

I understand there is one soccer sim in Europe or something that requires the HDD, but that's a limited case.

I think MS made a huge mistake by not having a hard drive in the core system and by not having a next gen optical drive.

Hard drive we can argue about not the optical drive. The 360 would of launched a year later at 200 or more dollars. They would of gotten their asses handed to them by both sony and nintendo. A 599 dollar 360 against a 599 PS3 would be a knock out in record time. Ms had to get out the gate early to try and build a userbase and cultivate some good relations with developers. It is working the 360 is in 10x better position than the xbox ever was. Sony has a movie studio to cash in on for its next gen format. Ms has no reason to eat such big money they would never get back.

The core can be good or bad it all depends on what MS does next.

There have been games that required a HDD almost since launch. This isn't new, and neither is that icon. There's no evidence that MS are dropping the Core either.

As for their blurb about the game size and AI that the original Xbox was capable of being because of the HDD, that's not true. Neither is it true to say that the HDD meant you could fit more data on the DVD.

That's a none article based on rumours currently floating around the internet, mistakes, presenting an old icon as as new, and supposition.

We already know that games can require the HDD, and that MS can allow the HDD to be used to get around DVD space limitations if they so wish. Time to magic up a "headline news" article...

What games require the HDD now?? I didn't think any did aside from FF11.

Well, this article is obviously completely rubbish. Speculation based upon incorrect facts usually results in garbage. However, the dirty little secret with the Core is that MS knows the majority of Core users will eventually purchase a HDD.

Of course MS can't have any system selling software require a HDD in the near future. But in the distant future? That's a different story.

I have the impression Fable 2 will need the HDD if Molyneux is trying to add the features he was planning to add on Fable1 but didnt finally make it out in it

I have the impression Fable 2 will need the HDD if Molyneux is trying to add the features he was planning to add on Fable1 but didnt finally make it out in it

I was under the impression that Fable 2 would need to run on a nuclear powered console if Molyneux was going to add the features he was planning to add on Fable 1.

I was under the impression that Fable 2 would need to run on a nuclear powered console if Molyneux was going to add the features he was planning to add on Fable 1.

Do you even know what I am talking about? :???:

Back