Cell shading on next generation hardware?

Tsmit42

Newcomer
This generation the hardware did an excellent job on cell shading, so how could next-gen hardware make it look even better? I just don't see much improvement in this type of game except higher resolutions, what are your thoughts?

Well more power means better effects. Futurama had an excellent cell-shaded ship, now imagine that in real-time...that's what I expect.

GwymWeepa said:
Well more power means better effects. Futurama had an excellent cell-shaded ship, now imagine that in real-time...that's what I expect.

I believe that if the effort was put in, pretty much eveything in Futurama could be done on current generation consoles.

sc2039.jpg

http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/soulc_1.jpg
http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/sc2040.jpg
http://www.puissance-zelda.com/FondsEcran/F12-800.jpg

rabidrabbit said:
:? That's not cell-shading
Exactly.

Most people think anything that looks cartoony is cel shaded. But that's about as accurate as saying all animated movies are 2D.

I am wondering, would a cell-shading engine based on bezier curves be feasible? Maybe NURBS? Or would the high poly capabilities of next gen platforms render them unfavorable?

ChryZ said:
I am wondering, would a cell-shading engine based on bezier curves be feasible? Maybe NURBS? Or would the high poly capabilities of next gen platforms render them unfavorable?

As it is today, with current tech, the curves get transformed into polygons anyway at rendering stage, so i guess it's all a big "do as u wish" for developers. They'll have to worry about polygons for a long time.

(Correct me if i'm wrong, anyone)

yeah I know that wasn't cell-shading by definition. but this is the direction that i would like to see for cell-shading, or at least 'instead of' cell-shading.

Megadrive1988 said:
yeah I know that wasn't cell-shading by definition. but this is the direction that i would like to see for cell-shading, or at least 'instead of' cell-shading.
Uh... if you make cel shading head that direction, you don't have cel shading anymore. Without distinct lines between lit and unlit portions of models, I don't think it qualifies as cel shading.

Come to think of it, we should have the power to add self-shading to the mix. That's commonly left out today. It wouldn't work in every cel shaded design, but it might work for some. The hard edges of stencil shadowing would probably be preferable here, though you could still go with shadow mapping. You might want to take multiple samples of the map and then round to 0% or 100% occlusion.

Clashman said:
You mean we're not going to have cell-shaded voxels next gen? :cry: :cry: :cry:
Next gen, we will have cel shaded voxels deferred rendered in REYES.
And micropolygons fit in there somewhere.

Tsmit42 said:
This generation the hardware did an excellent job on cell shading, so how could next-gen hardware make it look even better? I just don't see much improvement in this type of game except higher resolutions, what are your thoughts?

Wind Waker is as good as it gets. It cant get any better than a real cartoon.

Nightz said:
Tsmit42 said:

It could get better if they increase the polycount (and put stencil shadowing as mentioned above). Watch the new version of Appleseed for an impression of where I see cel-shading headed in the next generation. I think Appleseed could probably even be rendered on a PS3 (if the specs are half as outrageous as speculators would have you believe).

Iron Tiger said:
Nightz said:
Tsmit42 said:

It could get better if they increase the polycount (and put stencil shadowing as mentioned above). Watch the new version of Appleseed for an impression of where I see cel-shading headed in the next generation. I think Appleseed could probably even be rendered on a PS3 (if the specs are half as outrageous as speculators would have you believe).

As good as it gets? You must be joking, or just have not seen many anime, high quality ones.
Recreating in 3D the look of most Anime is just hard, considering they're trying to simulate in 3D something that looks the way it does because it's 2D. The polygon counts will have to increase a lot to hide all the imperfections we have in 3D graphics compared to Anime.

And Stencil shadows? How would that help? Do you see perfect shadows in Futurama or all other cartoons/anime?

Well what exactly is cell shading. For me and as far as openGL is concerned to create a cell shaded is litteraly gourad shadding but instead of smoothing it out you create gradients, so you can have 2 bands of shadding per polygon 3, 4 up to infinity where it is no longer cell shading but gourad. SO where am i getting to, well, cell shadding is really not a big deal.. and the fact that this gen did it " so well " means absolutely nothing. What is going to make cell shading successfull in the future is super duper hi res textures if anything and thats about, other then that all i can think of is appropirate art direction.

london-boy said:
And Stencil shadows? How would that help? Do you see perfect shadows in Futurama or all other cartoons/anime?
Futurama is not the penultimate cel shaded look. Self shadowing, which is what stencil shadows would add, might fit with different uses. It might fit in Killer 7, for instance.

The NextGen should work on a post-process system. Render the scene in whizzo photographic quality, then post-process the result to render it as a cartoon, or a myriad of other special effects. Take a look at non-Photorealistic raytracing effects being created these days for what I'm thinking of.

Iron Tiger said:
Watch the new version of Appleseed for an impression of where I see cel-shading headed in the next generation. I think Appleseed could probably even be rendered on a PS3 (if the specs are half as outrageous as speculators would have you believe).
Very good comment, I gotta second that. Here are a few offical wallpapers from the movie, for those who missed it so far:

http://www.a-seed.jp/graphics/wall-paper/img/01wp03.jpg
http://www.a-seed.jp/graphics/wall-paper/img/03wp03.jpg
http://www.a-seed.jp/graphics/wall-paper/img/05wp03.jpg

Back