Cell 2 discussed shortly

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by ADEX, Apr 12, 2007.

1. ADEX

Newcomer

Cell2 (the full Double Precision version) is due to be discussed at Coolchips X next week.

I wrote up an article and posted it on my site, we know some things already (it's been discussed for over a year) and I tried to figure out the rest here.

Enjoy :)

2. SPM

SPM
    Regular

Regarding the reason for including the Opterons in the Roadrunner architecture, I remember reading somewhere that the reason was because the customer specified that it should be able to run existing HPC Opteron applications which the customer already had without recompilation (at lower performance), or with only recompilation of some libraries.

Cray is talking about something similar
    Sounds like the idea is to run an Opteron HPC application with only recompilation of a limited number of standard libraries which handle the bulk of the number crunching.