CEDEC 2007: Capcom on Lost Planet Part II

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by B3D News, Sep 30, 2007.

1. B3D News

B3D News Beyond3D News
    Regular

As promised, the second part of our summary of the Capcom presentation
    on Lost Planet at CEDEC 2007 focuses on the PC version of the game and
    its improvements due to the use of DirectX 10. Read the full news item

2. Ether_Snake

Newcomer

Sorry for bumping this very old article but with the newly released Lost Planet 2 videos, I looked up motion blur articles and stumbled on this one.

The part I'm really interested in is the way they do depth of field as described in the article. While this was implemented on PC for DX10 supported graphics cards, I am wondering if this might also be on LP2 on 360?

Basically, I'd like to suggest using this at work on a future project, or something similar, but I'm wondering if this is too costly on PS3/360?

And just wondering to make sure I understand; they basically use an alpha hexagonal texture mapped to triangles that are covering the screen (like a plane subdivided into many triangles), and the rendered images are projected onto the proper triangles, (and then everything is added to an accumulation buffer to get the blurred results)?

I'm just fuzzy on how those triangles are laid out, and how the multiple viewport rendering results are applied to them (it sorts which triangle correspond to which depth?).

Thanks for the time! This was quite an interesting article!

3. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

It might be slightly off topic, but why would depth of field be too much for consoles, at least Uncharted 2 has demonstrated such an effect.

4. Ether_Snake

Newcomer

Look at the article, it shows how they did it. It's not typical depth of field. And from their description, it would only work with DX10+.

5. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

I did read the article when I replied and last time I heard Cell can replicate some of the DX10 effects too, I think it was Nao32 who gave the insight. But hey, I'm simply speculating at this point.

6. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

So can a Pentium 3. But you need to have the processing power to do it in realtime together with other stuff.