Caustic Graphics: Hardware accelerated ray tracing?

rpg.314

Veteran
http://www.caustic.com/

These guys claim they can speed up ray tracing by 20x by their proprietary card, but still need a GPU. They also claim that next year they will have 200x speed up!!!

I wonder which year's CPU's are they comparing with:D

As I said in another forum I could easily draw parallels to the AGEIA affair. Another startup company that hopes to get picked up eventually by a large IHV?

Caustic Graphics and the CausticGL Ray Tracing API

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=743

In our previous article we briefly discussed the idea of CausticRT - a ray tracing acceleration platform composed of both a software and hardware layer, though the hardware layer is in fact an optional portion. What we are interested in looking at today is CausticGL as it is the interface by which a developer can write ray tracing-based renderers. CausticGL is a programming API based around the OpenGL ES 2.0 standard with some heavy modifications and extensions included in it for ray tracing support and performance tweaks for compute and data structures built around rays.

It sounds like they have a hardware concept, but can't actually build much until a standard is finalized by the Kronos group. And that they are currently at odds with Nvidia trying to see who's implementation becomes the major contributor to the standard.

Regards,
SB

I think that they have a hardware, which they are trying to popularize by giving it the backing of a Khronos standard.

It looks like they have all the right supporters behind them. AMD, Intel, Nvidia, and Microsoft FTW! Caustic is seriously the future of rendering imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like they have all the right supporters behind them. AMD, Intel, Nvidia, and Microsoft FTW! Caustic is seriously the future of rendering imo.

Are you confusing the conference sponsors with the company?

Unfortunately, it's rather oldish. But it hasn't been posted yet. so thanks anyway. :)

I didn't know I'm this popular :LOL:

popularity.jpg

Thanks Caustic!

Back