Catalyst 8.5 Available - DX10 Perf Increases...

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Dave Baumann, May 21, 2008.

1. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

Catalyst 8.5 for Windows Vista, Windows XP and Linux platforms have been released:

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx

Highlights of the Catalyst 8.5 Windows release include:

Performance improvements
    • Call of Juarez DX10 – Performance increases up to 12% on the ATI Radeon HD 3000 Series of products
    • Lost Planet DX10 – Performance increases from 5 to 35% on the ATI Radeon HD 3000 Series of products.
    • World in Conflict DX10 – Performance increases up to 25% on the ATI Radeon HD 3600 and ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series of products. Even greater gains are seen on the ATI Radeon HD 3870X2.
    • Stalker DX9 – Performance increases by 20-50% when HDR is enabled in the game; across the ATI Radeon 3800 Series of products.
    • Halo – Performance increases by 10-30% across all ATI Radeon graphics products.

New features

New display mode support

• This release of Catalyst™ introduces a number of display mode enhancements for the ATI Radeon HD 3000 Series, ATI Radeon HD 2000 Series, and ATI Radeon X1000 Series of products (configuration of these settings are adjusted in the Catalyst Control Center):
    o SECAM TV-out support
    o 1080p24 mode support
    o 1080p Custom mode support for HDTVs (that support 60 Hz display modes) – users can configure their own custom 1080p modes to best fit their display.

Adaptive Anti-Aliasing – OpenGL support
    • This release of Catalyst™ introduces Adaptive Anti-Aliasing support for OpenGL applications for the ATI Radeon HD 3000 Series, ATI Radeon HD 2000 Series, and ATI Radeon X1000 Series of products. Adaptive Anti-Aliasing substantially improves image quality by anti-aliasing transparent textures.

HDMI Audio for non-standard TV modes
    • This release of Catalyst™ introduces support for HDMI Audio for all TV timing modes and non-standard (CEA 861b) TV modes. A dialog box will be shown to users when a non-standard TV mode is selected, asking if they would like to use HDMI Audio (in certain situations HDMI audio can get out of sync when running on a non-standard TV mode).

Windows XP Service Pack 3 support
    • This release of Catalyst™ introduces WHQL certified support for Microsoft’s Windows XP Service Pack 3 update for all ATI Radeon Series products.

Resolved Issue highlights
    • Clive Barker's Jericho: Corruption is no longer noticed when playing the game on a system containing an ATI Radeon™ HD 38x0 series of product and running the Windows Vista operating system.
    • Crysis: Flickering shadow corruption no longer occurs in hallways of the ship when CrossFire™ is enabled.
    • Gears of War: Launching the game under the 64 bit version of Windows Vista no longer results in momentary corruption of the desktop.
    • Enemy Territory Quake Wars: Launch the game demo on a system containing an ATI Radeon™ X11x0 series of product and running the Windows Vista operating system no longer results in the operating system failing to respond.
    • Hellgate: London: Flickering is no longer noticed when quitting and then relaunching the game when the in-game setting are set to their maximum levels.
    • Stranglehold: The game no longer fails to load on systems running the Windows Vista operating system with default values enabled.
    • Tabula Rasa: Setting the graphics option to enable Deferred Lighting and Dynamic Shadows no longer results in corruption being displayed.
    • Team Fortress 2: Enabling CrossFire™ and playing the game on a system running Windows Vista no longer results in corruption being noticed.
    • Tomb Raider Anniversary: Performance improvement is now noticed when playing the game with CrossFire™ enabled.

Highlights of the Linux Catalyst 8.5 release include:

New features

Catalyst Control Center Linux Edition – new 3D settings

• This release of the ATI Catalyst™ Linux driver introduces new Catalyst Control Center Linux Edition 3D settings for the ATI Radeon HD 3000 Series and ATI Radeon HD 2000 Series users. Linux users can now adjust the following 3D settings:
    o Catalyst AI
    o Mipmap detail level
    o Custom AA filters

2. I.S.T.

Veteran

I'm curious, how come Halo1 was optimized for? It's a rather old game.

3. Tim

Tim
    Regular

I doubt that they actually optimized for Halo specifically, it is most likely some generic optimization that has a big impact on Halo performance.

4. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

BECAUSE IT'S THE GRRRREATEST GAME EVAH!!!! ;)

Thanks Dave, happy birthday a day early. ;)

5. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Still no infs for the AGP cards in the regular releases? You did them for last months hotfix, do we have to wait for another hotfix again?

6. WaltC

Veteran

BelleVue Sanatorium, Billary, NY. Patient privile
    Looking forward to installing the 8.5's when I get home!

Just a word to say that I finally got around to upgrading my system and that I am *very* very pleased. I want to specifically and publicly take back some of my earlier negative comments about Crossfire. I find it works exceptionally well for me. Here are the goodies:

MSI K9A2 Platinum
    Phenom 9850 Black
    4-gigs Corsair DDR2 @ 800
    2 VT 512 HD3870's in Crossfire X
    Vista Ultimate x64
    HannsG 28" LCD
    ...and much more, but that's the core of the upgrade I just did.

I love this motherboard--far more than I thought I would. And the Phenom is a marvel. BIG performance difference between my previous Asus M2N-E-SLI running a 5600x2 and a single HD3870 512/BFG 8800GT. I also bumped up to Vistax64 from Vistax32 when I did the upgrade--and am having no troubles whatever. Ratcheting up the resolutions in the games I play is a real treat.

I'm sold on Spider....Heh...;) Haven't been this excited in a long, long while...:D I definitely think AMD is on the right track here. System is as solid as a brick and hardly seems to breathe hard when I push it. Impressed!

7. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Anyone find that CCC doesn't work in this driver, and if you go back to an older driver you get MOM errors and CC doesn't start as it's missing from the .net assemblies?

Edit: fixed it. Deleted the CCC directory after uninstall, hacked the infs to install the new drivers on an AGP card, uninstalled the CCC, reinstalled the CCC and it seems to be okay now.

ATI's installation seems to be getting more flaky every month at the moment.

#7 Bouncing Zabaglione Bros., May 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2008
  8. Arnold Beckenbauer

Veteran

I can't see any improvements in HL1, Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, but in Doom 3.
    Are there some limitations?

9. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

What is the significance of the WinXP SP3 support? Is it just being explicit or does it specifically mean something was changed to support SP3?

10. Fox5

Veteran

And apparently it was as poorly optimized as the community claimed if they're still getting big boosts at this point.

11. Killer-Kris

Regular

Speaking of OpenGL when are the newest extensions doing to be supported?

Primarily interested in...
    EXT_gpu_shader4
    EXT_geometry_shader4
    EXT_texture_array (with cubemap support none-the-less!)
    EXT_framebuffer_multisample

12. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

I wonder if it has anything to do with the game rendering to the front buffer.

13. Zaphod

Zaphod Remember
    Veteran

No need to wait. The old hotfix knowledge base page links the updated file (driver dated May 12. 2008, 18:30:02) even if the text/links on the page itself hasn't been updated.

14. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Link? AMDs website has terrible navigation/searching for knowledge base stuff. Takes ages just to find the knowledge base at all!

Edit: Never mind, I think I found it.

#14 Bouncing Zabaglione Bros., May 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2008
  15. Humus

Humus Crazy coder
    Veteran

It's in. These appear to be the new extensions:

Code:
    [SIZE=2]GL_AMDX_vertex_shader_tessellator
    GL_ARB_half_float_pixel
    GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit
    GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample
    GL_EXT_packed_float
    GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent
    WGL_EXT_pixel_format_packed_float
    GL_AMDX_vertex_shader_tessellator looks interesting!
    [/SIZE]

16. Arnold Beckenbauer

Veteran

Catalyst 8.4 Hotfix for Windows XP Professional and Home Edition:

AGP Hotfix 8.4:
    Code:
    Catalyst Control Center	CCC   	2008.0512.1132.18639
    ATI-Bildschirmtreiber  	Driver	8.493-080512a-063478E-ATI
    Catalyst 8.5:
    Code:
    Catalystregistrierung          	CatalystRegistration	2.0.0.0
    Catalyst Control Center        	CCC                 	2008.0512.1132.18639
    ATI-Bildschirmtreiber          	Driver              	8.493-080512a-063030C-ATI

It's the same driver with INFs for AGP Radeons. Great work.

17. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

I'm not sure these are exactly the same. With the hotfix driver I get crashes soon after boot from ati2evxx.exe (in relation to uxtheme.dll which was changed in XP SP3). After reading that the official 8.5 was qualified with XP SP3, I switched back to official 8.5 with hacked .inf files, and the crashes disappeared instantly.

Okay, so it's only the hotkey poller and anything else that does, but it fails with the hotfix and works in the officials.

18. IbaneZ

Regular

Now that's a performance driver if I ever saw one...

Bodes well for the 4000 series. ;)

19. Davros

Legend

zaba there is a sp3 compatible uxtheme dll out

20. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

I know, but I'm not using third party themes anyway. I'm just using the standard uxtheme.dll that comes with XP3. With the hotfix 8.5 I get crashes, with the official XP3 compatible 8.5, they disappear. Uxtheme.dll is the component that the ATI's hotkiller poller is crashing on according to the system logs.