Catalyst 7.8 (WHQL) Available

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Dave Baumann, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

Highlights of the Catalyst 7.8 release include:

Performance improvements
    • Lost Planet DX10 with anti-aliasing improves 11% or greater on ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT products
    • 3DMark 2006 and 3DMark 2005 improves as much as 6% on The ATI Radeon HD 2600 Series (single card and Crossfire) and ATI Radeon HD 2400 Series (single card and Crossfire configurations)
    • Serious Sam 2 with HDR enabled improves as much as 14.5% on the ATI Radeon HD 2900 Series, ATI Radeon HD 2600 Series and ATI Radeon HD 2400 Series
    New features

Enhanced ATI Overdrive support for the ATI Radeon HD 2600 Series and ATI Radeon HD 2400 Series
    • This release of Catalystâ„¢ introduces an enhanced version of ATI Overdrive for the ATI Radeon HD 2600 Series and ATI Radeon HD 2400 Series. Users can now Overclock both GPU engine and graphics memory clock speeds in Crossfire mode (and over-clock single ATI Radeon graphics accelerators as well). This version of ATI Overdrive also includes a new stress test application to verify any over-clocking speeds users may have configured (either manually or through the auto-tuning tool) on their ATI Radeon HD 2600 Series and ATI Radeon HD 2400 Series of graphics accelerators.

2. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

What's the best way to change drivers under Vista? Is it like XP where it's better to un-install/clean 'em out first and then install the new ones, or did they finally get to the point where you can just install the new ones without any system set-up?

3. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

Either uninstall completely or use the "update" option in the Catalyst installer.

4. digitalwanderer

Legend

There's an "update" option now? :shock:

Sweet, thanks!

5. B3D News

B3D News Beyond3D News
    Regular

Catalyst 7.8 released

AMD has released version 7.8 of its Catalyst drivers, which brings more performance improvements to the R6xx series of chips.

Read the full news item

6. Tim Murray

Tim Murray the Windom Earle of mobile SOCs
    Veteran

I will continue whining about the lack of R600 drivers for Linux, and no one will stop me!

7. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Well BAD experience for me with 7.8. Installed and loaded Vanguard, which promptly halted after about 30 seconds. Reboot and checked CCC, in Overdrive (which I have clocked to 838/1075) the temp was sitting at 57deg at a fresh start with nothing running! Normally I idle at 46deg.

Checked Vanguard again and temp immediately went up to 89deg!

Uninstalled 7.8, which promptly BSOD'd. Reboot, finish uninstall, reinstall 7.7.... temperatures back to normal, 46 idle and 69 stress peak at the same OC settings.

wtf ATI?

edit: btw this is on a Sapphire 1Gb 2900XT.

8. Sound_Card

Regular

Did you try out other games as well?

How did you uninstall the last drivers?

How are you OC'ing the card?

9. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

No I didn't try other games as well. The IDLE in Vista, without running anything, went up 10 degrees. Never even touched a game upon bootup when I checked that. And I had it sitting there for 5 minutes in case it needed to cool down or something (which usually takes like 30 seconds at most and I had rebooted anyway). And when I reverted to 7.7, the peak went back to normal 69deg and idle to 46.

Yes I always use the ATI Install Manager to uninstall the previous drivers before installing new ones.

I'm overclocking using the CCC Overdrive. I have an Enermax Infiniti PSU with an 8pin and 6pin connector.

10. Sound_Card

Regular

Chances of you having a problem are pretty high. I'm not going to lie.:razz:

I just have to make sure before I report this. Do you have any other method of checking your GPU temps?

11. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

[​IMG]

C2D E6600
    2gb DDR667
    X850XT PE AGP

All options (in the menu) set to maximum available quality (except AA which was set at 4x instead of 6x).

The ups in the 7.6 and 7.8 drivers are due to a bug in how the driver handles the megatexture. The driver seems to be overly aggressive in these two releases and the megatexture streams only a few tiles leaving most of the megatexture at its highest picmip level (which makes it look awful). Because streaming, decompressing and recompressing the MT is a CPU operation we can see this bug only brings advantages when the game is tested at CPU bound operations (640 and 800). When tested at higher resolutions this bug actually hinders performance.

Whenever I have graphics problems I always turn off Cat AI first so that's how I figured what was wrong. Unfortunately while disabling Cat AI fixes the problem it also brings a noticeable performance drop (on my regular playing settings the drop is around 6fps versus Cat 7.7 with Cat AI enabled - low). Moreover, this latest driver release and Cat 7.6 also break benchmarking in Prey so I'm guessing there are other problems in these drivers.

12. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

No, I don't have any other tools installed. Though if neccessary I could install one. I went back to the 7.7's to confirm the problem since it was the only thing that changed. I had even opened my case to check fans and airflow. No dust as it's a 3 week old computer. The change to temps was immediate between versions.

13. Sound_Card

Regular

I dont think their is a need to, so don't worry about wasting your time.:cool:

I'm going to chat about this with the beta testers. Take care.

14. Sobek

Sobek Locally Operating
    Veteran

The increased temperatures are 'normal', they were there in the betas too. My card is no longer silent on the 7.8's (haven't checked the temps since for some reason ATT can't recognise the temp sensor, and CCC wont show me any temperatures), now in just about anything 3d, I can actually hear the fan going. It's still immeasurably quieter than my x1900, but it's now audible. I wonder what my temps actually are ingame...guess i'll never know.

These have, however, been the most stable drivers for me so far. No strange BSOD's or lockups. Except 3dmark06 which can NEVER pass the Deep Freeze test. Ever.

15. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

Well that's really disheartening Sobek.

Some more testing. Set clock and memory to default speeds. Rest of CCC all defaults as well. Uninstalled 7.7, reboot, install 7.8.

Bootup idle temp at 53deg. Whiteout peaks at 72deg.

Uninstall 7.8, get the same BSOD, STOP error code 0x000000EA again. Reboot and finish uninstall.

Reinstall 7.7, idle temp 46deg at regular clocks. Whiteout peaks at 64deg regular clocks.

What in the drivers justifies such a massive rise in temperatures?? :mad:

16. digitalwanderer

Legend

I'm having an awful time getting these to work in Vista too, but Vista hates me so I kind of expected it. :roll:

17. wingless

Newcomer

Is anybody able to download the XP x64 drivers off the site or is it just me?

18. wingless

Newcomer

I meant is anybody having PROBLEMS downloading the x64 drivers? It seems the link is down for me.

19. SugarCoat

Veteran

checked and the links dead for me too.

The BSODs arent good but those temperatures sound wacky Malo. Wacky in that they sound way too low. You know the 8800s operate at 55-60 idle and into 80C at load normally? And thats while drawing less power and having less memory AND the slightly smaller chip which doesnt make a whole lot of sense compared to what you think the X2900XT 1gb should be reporting. I havent honestly heard of a flagship card with stock cooling operating below 70C at load or below 50C in idle in awhile. If anything i'd wager the older drivers are mis-reporting the temperature and thats been corrected cause your temps, even boosted in 7.8s to what i think is the more correct number, are low, way below an unacceptable level.

My X1800XT use to hit 90C in VG for comparison.

#19 SugarCoat, Aug 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2007
  20. DJ12

Veteran

Any reason why people who don't have a X2*00 card should bother with these?