Catalyst 6.11 out

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by DarN, Nov 15, 2006.

1. DarN

Regular

2. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Thanks, downloaded and frontpaged. :)

3. CJ

CJ
    Regular

Interesting. Didn't think they would add all the X1900 and X1950 cards to the Software CrossFire lineup since several reviews have pointed out that even the X1900GT benefits more from Hardware CrossFire than Software CrossFire

4. willardjuice

willardjuice super willyjuice
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

I wish someone would do some benchmarks; I am about to upgrade to crossfire, but if I could save some money without scacrificing too much performance, I may be interested.

5. AlexV

AlexV Heteroscedasticitate
    Moderator Veteran

Well, umm, I suggest that instead of Crossfire you opt for a single card solution, like the 8800GTX. I have CF and sometimes it may be a pain, sometimes it`s quite nice...even many driver revisions later I still feel it`s a mixed bag.

You could also wait for the R600(I hope I`m not being presumptious with my reccomendations, if that`s the case sorry;))

6. willardjuice

Moderator Veteran Alpha

It's fine, but I guess I should have mentioned I already have a crossfire board with a X1900XT. I was debating on whether or not I should go Crossfire this Christmas for cheap (cheap being key here). The 8800GTX (and I am assuming R600) look nice, but not for $600. At any rate I am planning to build a new computer next summer and I will probably just pick up the refresh of the R600 then. That way I can keep this current computer at home and take the newer one to college (taking this computer back and forth for the few times I visit home is starting to become a difficulty). Not having to get a Crossfire version of the X1900 (and hopefully not losing much performance) is starting to look very attractive.

Looks promising, but I wish they had higher resolutions and could compare it to the "normal" Crossfire way.

[edit]
    I can't believe there are no reviews testing this new setup...

#7 willardjuice, Nov 18, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2006
  7. no-X

Veteran

8. willardjuice

Moderator Veteran Alpha

Ah thanks, I guess it's a mixed bag; some games they are practically equal, others there is a pretty big difference (Of course they didn't do Source Engine which I play the most :cry: ). At any rate I decided to pull the trigger on a "open box" X1950CF (for less than $320 :grin: ) on newegg a few days ago. So either way it's a win-win for me on Christmas :cool: .