CATALYST 3.8 available now

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by CATALYST MAKER, Oct 8, 2003.

1. crushinator

Newcomer

What I miss, is the option to load a profile by using the tray icon. :(

2. Rolf N

Rolf N Recurring Membmare
    Veteran

Terry,
    I hate to say it, but the notion of "efficiency" that was applied to the new CP design is just bollocks.

What did you achieve?
    Well, for the "average Joe" type of customer, you now have AA/AF/texture quality combination settings for both APIs in a single slider (significant change wrt previous release in bold). Okay.

But at the same time you really made it cumbersome to change something directly. I'm counting ten clicks to get in and out of the OpenGL settings panel versus six clicks in the previous release.

Getting back to Joe, it was previously required to know the game's API to make settings. Otherwise, the method didn't change. The same slider was duplicated in both API tabs, same number of clicks required. Duh.

Honestly not my style. Sorry.

3. BigBen

Newcomer

Ditto!

I think many people like me already wrote a feature request to ATI many month or years ;) ago and NOTHING happen!
    I can't understand ATi in this case. Game-profiles are a realy important respectively useful driver feature (look at PowerVR's Kyro driver suit!) and it tooks ATi's "hard-working" (?) driver engineers so many time to implement this premature profile-feature? :roll:

Ok ATi, where is teh problem? [Edit] Just do it the kyro-way ;)

Regards,
    BigBen

4. gkar1

Regular

LOL write the drivers yourselves or use a tweaker which has the capability as most already do.
    Beggars cant be choosers.

5. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

6. fallguy

Veteran

Perhaps they have to work up to the .exe specific settings. Some times thigs take small steps.. not one large leap.

7. lwells

Newcomer

From reading the AnandTech and B3D reviews, I must say I feel a little disappointed with this release. There was a lot of buzz about 3.8, and the inclusion of Overdrive promised something different. Maybe I am hard to impress, but the small performance gains from Overdrive don't add much to the 9800XT IMHO.

Still, its not all bad...

LW.

8. Rolf N

Veteran

Terry,
    Just tested the Ashli viewer 1.1 in GLSL mode on my trusty 9500Pro (there were some issues with Cat3.7).

Old issues gone, new ones in:
    The "Batsignal" thing has strong z fighting issues.
    "SpiderWeb" doesn't seem to work at all.

edit:
    "WindowLight" and "Uber" have z issues, too.
    "Bumpmap" is just a plain white spiked thingy with a chain?
    /edit

Just so you know.

It just so happens that Exxtreme is the author of rTool :)
    And I myself have some nice EXE-linked game profile stuff already out there (hunt it down; use my sig as a starting point).

That doesn't mean that we can make ATI drivers. Err uhm.

9. BigBen

Newcomer

Hehe... nice phrase! In germany it means "in time of need, the devil eats flys" :D

You're right (!), i should use these litte tools (i'll do it!), but as an Ex-Kyro 2 gamer it's hard to understand why ATi needs so long for their premature Feature while PowerVR has a much advanced profile-panel since 2000 or so.
    Sometimes i think it would be nice/better, if customers can make theirs own driver :wink:

Regards,
    Ben

10. Reverend

Banned

Troll...

:)

11. PaulS

Regular

I have to agree with what people have said about the profile feature, since i was under the impression that being able to tie settings to specific .exe files was the whole point of the feature :?

They missed the boat there, but hopefully it'll turn up in a future release.

12. Joe DeFuria

Legend

Huh?

Did I say something that disagreed with this?

I agree that the method needs to be changed. I'd be happy with a move / duplication of the profile selector to the system tray. Eliminate the need to bring up the control panel in order to switch among sets of user defined profiles.

13. Rolf N

Veteran

I was referring to the infamous average Joe, not to a Joe as extraordinary as you :D

That was the impression I got when I saw the unified panel: make it easier for peeps that don't know (and don't want to know) which game is which API.

Sorry for any confusion ;)

14. jvd

jvd
    Banned

the game profiles are a step in the right directions. Hopefully they will add a quick change to the little symbol next to my clock . Oh and cat maker in dx if i uses the smart shader effects i ahve to restart to change them. They are fine in opengl

15. Joe DeFuria

Legend

Curse me and my common name! :D

16. horvendile

Regular

Two questions.

Number one:
    I'm new to ATI. When I had a V5 there was a program called V4runner that allowed application specific settings. It's been hinted that similar programs exist for ATI hardware (I have an RV350). Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Number two:
    It struck me that one possible fun thing with the smartshader effects would be if there was a version that made games look like old war documentaries - black & white and with scraps randomly appearing. I can think of some WW2 games that would be fun to try with that, especially flight simulators. Well, is there such an effect, or is the "classic" mode shown in the B3D review the closest we get?
    (You'd think that I, what with actually having an ATI card, could try this out by myself, but I'm at work and curious!)

Uh... a third question, asked earlier in this thread but I don't think it got answered.
    Do you need to uninstall earlier drivers before installing new ones?

17. Alistair

Regular

To be honest, all I want in the way of app-specific profiling and control panel redesign is the abaility to set that Overall Quality Slider from the sytem tray icon.

It could replace the ability to change desktop resolution, which I never do and which is trivial from the desktop properties anyway.

Simple to do, achieves the majority of what I want. A 5 position slider is enough tweaking for me, thanks.

18. XForce

Newcomer

Mixed reactions all over the boards so far, didn't try the 3.8 yet, maybe I'll give the Omegas a try..

Anyway I blindly agree to the following:
    - Profiles are nice, but should switch automaticaly on game/program start or be selectable via tray icon (shouldn't be to hard)
    - Combined D3D/OGL Tab: dunno yet, at least you can switch it off via "registry hack".

Here you go: http://www.rage3d.com/r3dtweak/

Strongly recommended.
    There's a removal tool included (or so I've read), dunno how good it works, but it may be a start.

Cheers,
    Mac

19. Rodéric

Rodéric a.k.a. Ingenu
    Moderator Veteran

Once again using the one file installer I get an empty Display Tab, meaning that I can't select the Video Out options...

Twice in a row... There's something wrong in here. :evil:

20. OpenGL guy

Veteran

I used the one file installer and everything worked fine. Have you tried removing the old drivers/software first?