Catalyst 13.6 Beta 2

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Babel-17, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Babel-17

Veteran Regular

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst13-6WINBetaDriver.aspx

So far, I'm getting relief from the drop-outs and all is well. :)

Still broken Netflix and CNN app's. :(

2. Sinistar

Sinistar I LIVE
    Regular Subscriber

Just downloaded and installed, Netflix app still working fine here, sorry to hear your still having problems.

3. Babel-17

Veteran Regular

Just to be clear, you have Windows 8 and are launching the Metro app? I can get Netflix in my browser.

I can get the Netflix app to work with the 13.1 WHQL's.

Thanks for taking an interest. I've read some posts of others with a similar problem or I might have tried a clean install of Windows. And being able to get Netflix working just by going with the 13.1's really kills the incentive for that.

4. Sinistar

Sinistar I LIVE
    Regular Subscriber

Yes, I am using the Metro app. What happens when you try to run it?

5. Babel-17

Veteran Regular

I click on the Netflix app and it comes up full screen and then it's gone and I'm back to Metro. But Netflix is still in the background as I can see it if I put my mouse over the corner of the screen. Just the red Netflix screen, nothing is going on with it.

I saw some posts of other people with the issue. Might be partly the fault of MS and Netflix but since the 13.1 drivers work I'm not anxious to start in with them. Though I did a quick search on Netflix's support page.

Given the lots of hours I've spent over the HDMI sound issue I'm not going to risk my Serenity by trying to fix things from my end. :)

Edit: Though I have spent over an hour, and maybe even a few hours, just trying this and that, uninstalling and reinstalling Netflix, for example.

#5 Babel-17, Jun 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2013
  6. Sinistar

Sinistar I LIVE
    Regular Subscriber

Strange, what happens if you click on it, when it shows in the corner of the screen?

7. Babel-17

Veteran Regular

It comes up then, like before, I'm back to looking at the Metro interface.

8. Babel-17

Veteran Regular

And MS's app's work, of course, lol. :)

9. Sinistar

Sinistar I LIVE
    Regular Subscriber

The only thing I can think of, try updating Silverlight.

10. Babel-17

Veteran Regular

Good suggestion as I browsed Netflix's support and that came up. I found a MS tool that checks ones Silverlight installation and I allowed it to uninstall and reinstall Silverlight. Sadly, no joy.

Also, I think Netflix in Metro uses a different, more advanced, codec than that of Silverlight. I think it's connected to the "HD+" very high bit rates Netflix is now offering if you have one of certain Internet Providers. (Which I do)

I am now, at this moment, starting to think that could be the problem. It might be a HDMI "handshake" issue or just basic hardware acceleration gone wrong.

11. Sinistar

Sinistar I LIVE
    Regular Subscriber

I would think that would not affect the app until you started playing a video.

Edit: if the app is using Silverlight, you could try turning off hardware acceleration.

#11 Sinistar, Jun 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2013
  12. loekf

Regular

Amazing that AMD releases the desktop Richlands, but forgets to tell you that you really need a hard to find (on their website at least) beta driver to be able to use it ?

I had a FM2 board with a A10-5800K and swapped in a A10-6700. Windows 8 x64 started up, but some weird error message about a license for video encoding popped up and Windows ran in something like XVGA resolution. I had 13.4 installed. After 13.6 Beta 2 all is ok.

Please release this driver out of beta AND make it a bit easier to find. That includes the chipset drivers, though with Windows 8 they hardly add anything.

In case you wonder why go for a Richland. The A10-5800K didn't like my mobo. When e.g. XBMC was idle, the fan speeds went up to dust-buster levels. Something weird with Asus QFan I guess. Yes.. tried the dirtyblocks settings.

This new CPU is very very quiet...

(of course 65W TDP vs. 100W)