Catalyst 12.1 Preview Driver...

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Silent_Buddha, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Silent_Buddha

Legend

I'm surprised noone has posted this yet.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/Catalyst121Previewdriver.aspx

The big thing is that AMD have finally included the ability to have custom profiles for games and applications.

I usually don't care about something like this but I find recently I've been using Supersampling more and more for older applications. And something like this should reduce the need to remember to change AA settings back to normal afterwards.

Regards,
    SB

2. Davros

Legend

3. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

That's good. I didn't realize AMD didn't have this feature until now.

4. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

They did, but in an awkward, ass-backwards way so they could claim they weren't copying Nvidia.

5. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Pffft, why would I look in the 11.11 WHQL thread for 12.1 related drivers? ;)

I haven't had time to try these out (can't shutdown computer for another 24-48 hours) and I always prefer a reboot after a driver install even though I technically don't have to. Has anyone got first hand knowledge of how well the custom profiles work?

Regards,
    SB

6. Davros

Legend

To be honest im scared to try them, beware version 1 of anything

7. Colourless

Colourless Monochrome wench
    Veteran

Would agree with you if it weren't for the fact the drivers are numbered Year.Month not Version.Revision

8. Davros

Legend

no, version 1 as in its the first version of their per app profiles

decided to try them, tried to create a preset but i cant because most of the preset page is rendered off screen and you can only move it by clicking on the top of the window which i cant do. Nice touch amd.
    [​IMG]

9. no-X

Veteran

Try to change resolution and return to the previous one while having the problematic window opened. It helps in similar cases.

10. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Looks like you are trying to make a preset there, which I don't think is the same thing as an application profile. You should be looking at the gaming sub-menu, not the presets menu.

11. Davros

Legend

I think you will find that the presets menu is the correct place to make a preset. me personally would only choose the gaming sub-menu if I wanted to create an application profile, but hey whatever works for you ;)

I decided I needed a turn side monitors off profile

ps: fixed the window by changing to a duplicated desktop the redoing eyefinity

12. Silent_Buddha

Legend

If the window is a re-sizeable window you can just resize it by 1 pixel and it'll "pop" into your normal desktop area. Ventrilo absolutely loves to startup with half of it off the desktop up top so I have to use that resize trick everytime I run it.

Another trick that sometimes works is to shift-click the icon in the taskbar -> click move -> then immediately click again with the left mouse button without moving the mouse. That will often get a window to "pop" back into the desktop area as well.

If none of those work, I know there's another way to do it, but can't remember what it was.

Regards,
    SB

13. Davros

Legend

I managed to fix it tnx...
    but will keep those suggestions in mind if it happens again

14. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

15. Arnold Beckenbauer

Veteran

16. swaaye

Legend

Maybe the game didn't sell well enough for them to go further with support. Besides, I beat the game back in October and it was stable on my 560. I don't hold out hope for that tweak to the texture scaling algorithm being particularly beneficial to the various terrible indoor textures.

17. Davros

Legend

Well if the problems are the fault of amd and not id then they should fix it regardless of sales volume

18. swaaye

Legend

What's somewhat entertaining is how it is taking AMD like 10 driver releases to get it working well. What is the deal with that!? They are spewing forth drivers at an amazing rate over there.

19. Svensk Viking

Regular

Well I guess something good comes out of all these Rage fixes...Perhaps Doom 4 will be almost issue-free from the beginning:wink:

20. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

I guess there were originally a lot of problems—which is bad—and AMD is releasing a new driver every time they manage to fix one—which is good.