Capcom builds up Steam on the PC side

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by B3D News, Jun 14, 2007.

1. B3D News

B3D News Beyond3D News
    Regular

Capcom builds up Steamâ„¢ on the PC side

The well-known Japanese developer Capcom announced, in its latest press release, its resolve to increase its presence in the PC market by proposing titles from their portfolio on Steam --Valve's digital distribution service

Read the full news item

2. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

I do wish Valve would spin off Steam tho, that's really the best way forward. Even if they kept ownership.

3. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

I wish they would give the customers their games cheaper than hard versions. It crazy that despite the fact there's no physical packaging, manual or media, and the huge exchange value of the pound versus the dollar, it's still cheaper to buy a physical version from play.com than to download electronically.

Valve didn't cut out the publisher, they simply became the publisher, and put the money into their own pockets instead of giving any benefit to the consumer when it comes to purchasing via Steam.

4. tongue_of_colicab

Veteran

Well you do have the advantage that you can play your games everywhere you want with steam withouth having to carry your disks along. But yes I agree steam is to expensive. Though I dont care if I get a disk or not, dont even have a dvd drive in my pc anymore for over 2 years.

5. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Anywhere you have a broadband connection and time to download a few gigabytes that arn't going to get hit by ISP caps.

You can still spend less money on the disc, install in a few minutes, and then use Steam as an authentication/update service.

6. tongue_of_colicab

Veteran

Well broadband an datalimits arnt exactly a problem here in Holland. Cd's are faster, though you have to know in advance you're going to use them as you have to take you with them. If you download you can just download it at your friends house if you feel like playing, just have to wait 1 or 2 hours to download (atleast with your average dutch connection).

7. Davros

Legend

me thinks valve is a hell of a greedy company you can tell it was founded by an ex microsoft employee

8. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

ISP caps *shudder* are really that common? The only place that comes to mind where I hear them talked about on a regular basis is Australia, otherwise I did not think they were so common.

Who's set the prices for the games anyway? Is it solely Valve who does so? Is the Steam market great enough to have your games cost more than retail? Valve might be greedy but I don't think putting the blame entirely on them for game price is right unless you know that its Valve who sets the price, I doubt very much its Valve setting the price. As long as the game covers bandwidth costs then its free marketing for Valve.

9. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

Hmmm, well, they don't make any MMOs so I'll argue with you on that. :wink:

10. poopypoo

Veteran

Inernationally, of course they are. I figure you're not worried about including China et al in this, but of course many Chinese users are still on dialup. The broadband in HK's pretty decent, but in SH it might've taken years to download games from foreign websites. But I hear many people in Europe talk of real caps too.

Anyway, i agree Steam is pretty good but way too expensive. I love the idea, and in general I'd rather give the money to Steam, but ordering boxes online is so much cheaper, it's ridiculous. Steam needs to be more aggressive with pricing, plain and simple, and they'll become incredibly popular.

11. SugarCoat

Veteran

Well internet doesnt have to be a big thing in china when you can walk a block down the street and pickup any copy of a game/movie for practically nothing.

I dont agree Steam is too expensive. All digital media should technically be cheaper, you'd think, because theres no printing/production cost for the disc/cases boxes etc.., however they're also catering to a bit of a niche market still as well until digital distribution literally become common place. That hasnt happened yet, not to mention i bet a good percentage of digital media downloaders/users (games/movies) are illegal. Until digital distribution becomes the new norm they'll charge the same. I look at it from the point of view that we're paying the same price for digital distribution versions vs boxed versions off shelves simply because its nice not to have to worry about keeping track of your media. You can login and download all the games you own and play them on pretty much any computer in the world that has a decent internet connection. I think thats pretty nifty and i dont mind paying the same price as a boxed version for that. I've got all the Valve games + Prey/Sin on Steam and 4 other games through D2D, dont mind the price one bit personally.

12. poopypoo

Veteran

I honestly think your argument is moot. But, I'm happy to see Capcom down with PC gaming. I love Capcom games.

13. Davros

Legend

Well they cetainly did set the price for half life 2 and it was more than the retail priced of the boxed version published by sierra

14. poopypoo

Veteran

It occurs to me that maybe that's part of the deal they have with Sierra -- i.e., they can't price their distribution lower than Sierra's otherwise Sierra has to take the risk of printing all those boxes and then not sell any if Valve sells the game on Steam for $1.