cant play tf2

Davros

Legend
game says update required
I double click on it and 2 dialog boxes come up
1st says "steam out of date you client needs to be updated to run this game"
2nd says "your steam client is allready up to date"

It's usually the blob thing. Easiest way to fix by deleting the steam files except steamapps folder. Then install steam

Drastic, why? Your game files would remain, you just nuke the steam-specific bits. Anyway, what's the alternative, continue NOT being able to play your game...? :)

It's not as it will feel hurt

Also from Steam Linux, the few installation or update woes were fixed by getting the .deb installer from the web site again, and that was early on. The thing is suprisingly not buggy.

Actually, everything in my Steam folder EXCEPT SteamApps sub-folder takes up 641MB, comprising almost 15k files requiring 664MB of disk space due to filesystem overhead, so there sure is a cockload of tiny files for some reason, used for...whatever! *shrug*

I don't know if to be amazed or outraged about this. Help please, anyone? :LOL:

Found the problem, when starting steam today a noticed a message saying "steam needs 250mb free disk space on drive J: to update"
Now I have a dilemma because uninstalling games displeases the gaming gods

Actually, everything in my Steam folder EXCEPT SteamApps sub-folder takes up 641MB, comprising almost 15k files requiring 664MB of disk space due to filesystem overhead, so there sure is a cockload of tiny files for some reason, used for...whatever! *shrug*

I don't know if to be amazed or outraged about this. Help please, anyone? :LOL:

I have looked at it, and I have over 25 000 files totalling 1.6GB.

Found some weird stuff : I have a Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/ directory at 285MB, and Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime.old/ at 320MB.
Feels like the latter would be decently deletable. There are archives too : steam-runtime.tar.xz, steam-runtime.tar.xz.part0, steam-runtime.tar.xz.part1.

So, is Steam just dumping random stuff in there and they're afraid of deleting it?

I looked up the directory of screenshots taken by mistake : 16MB.

its normal for steam to left many files on hdd but i dont know why. But for me, generally steam is very buggy in:

- offline mode
- login behind proxy (its fine now since april 2014)
- update/download start/resume/pause
- repair game data
- game backup/moving
- and much more i usually get and annoyed but no fix

long time ago when i play portal 2, it reverts to OLD save games, then suddenly it refuses to update properly (wont allow to be run), find no fix and finally i just put no-steam on it and finished the SP. Removed the no-steam and surprisingly i can launch it and play MP. Steam is weird.

Back