Can't download/install SP2

Reverend

Banned
I have a legit copy of WinXP, with SP1 already installed.

I used WindowsUpdate to d-l/install SP2 but during the process there was a power failure. Hence SP2 was not fully downloaded and installed.

Now, after the power failure, I tried to use WindowsUpdate to (re-)d-l/install SP2... and there is a bar that automatically starts at about half-way through the d/l process and almost immediately afterwards tells me SP2 can't be installed because it "failed", without any really useful information why this happened.

Can anyone help? Please don't tell me I need to buy the SP2 CD.

Did you try downloading the "network installation" version? Although it's much bigger but I think it may give more information in case of failed installation. Furthermore, if you ever need to reinstall or fix your XP installation (it happens to my work computer a few days ago), it would be handy to have the SP2 file without an internet connection.

Reverend said:
I have a legit copy of WinXP, with SP1 already installed.

I used WindowsUpdate to d-l/install SP2 but during the process there was a power failure. Hence SP2 was not fully downloaded and installed.

Now, after the power failure, I tried to use WindowsUpdate to (re-)d-l/install SP2... and there is a bar that automatically starts at about half-way through the d/l process and almost immediately afterwards tells me SP2 can't be installed because it "failed", without any really useful information why this happened.

Can anyone help? Please don't tell me I need to buy the SP2 CD.
could be that their servers are extremely full. I know it took me a few days to even get into the line.

epic

Thx for linking me up with that again Epic (I had it before but lost it), too bad the Swedish version isn't live yet... Bloody MS! ;)

maybe U should have used system restore after the failure, & gone back to point before first install, I use 'goback' which is much better.

Back