Can you fit a small SoC on a microSD card?

Flux

Regular
Can you fit a small SoC on a microSD card?

Some ram,microcontroller,flash memory etc on a 45nm/32nm/28nm sized die.

At microSD sizes you'd be pretty limited in the number of pads you can have, even on top for PoP. Probably couldn't fit a full sized 32-bit MCM that PoP memories tend to be. You'd also struggle to fit an external PMIC that these chips need.

The most realistic limit to what you can currently put on there is a small microcontroller with embedded SRAM and flash and runs straight off 3.3V. But you wouldn't have room for any significant amount of permanent storage on top of that, if that's what you were hoping for. It's not going to be good for an awful lot.

Yeah, you couldn't realistically do more than a microcontroller - then again a 200MHz Cortex-M4 is no joke, it's probably faster than some ARM9-based features phones shipping today. I don't think any useful wireless stadard would work due to the size of the antenna but I could be wrong. Still not sure why you'd want to do this.

Yeah, you couldn't realistically do more than a microcontroller - then again a 200MHz Cortex-M4 is no joke, it's probably faster than some ARM9-based features phones shipping today. I don't think any useful wireless stadard would work due to the size of the antenna but I could be wrong. Still not sure why you'd want to do this.

I am trying to see if you can have a extension to mobile phones that helps them play snes level 2d video games.

I am trying to see if you can have a extension to mobile phones that helps them play snes level 2d video games.
?! :D Why couldn't you just do it on the main CPU though? If you're hoping to just put any microSD card on any (compatible) phone and have it work automatically without an special application or main CPU involvement, that's not going to happen. The SD card cannot talk directly to the display.

If the card could rely on its host for power regulation, etc., I'm certain a CortexA9 + reasonable SDRAM + considerable amount of flash could fit in a micro-sd card sized package, particularly given today's geometries.

The only question is "to what purpose?".

If it was exactly a micro-sd physically compatible package, then you've got very few I/O to work with, and you're at the mercy of the SDIO protocol to get stuff in and out.

If the card could rely on its host for power regulation, etc., I'm certain a CortexA9 + reasonable SDRAM + considerable amount of flash could fit in a micro-sd card sized package, particularly given today's geometries.

Not in any SoC that actually exists. And I don't think anyone in the business of making niche accelerator SD cards is going to be capable of making a custom SoC.

Oh, if you make the rules of this hypothetical that you can't package your own die, then I don't think you'll find any component + PCB that will meet the physical dimensions (particularly thickness) of the micro-SD form factor.

Though even if you can package your own die, thickness will still be a tough one. Die stacking would probably make the package too tall, and I doubt you could the thing to be physically sound without a substrate (again, making it too tall for the form factor).

Back