Can we start a tech demo archive?

inlimbo

Newcomer
At the risk of starting too many random threads, I think this one at least has some promise. We could make this thread an archive for posting high quality captures (at least as high quality as we can find) of old tech demos or, even better, executables of old demos that are rarely hosted anywhere at this point

I love revisiting and digging for this stuff and I figure there are enough graphics professionals here that might have access to demos that are no longer publicly available. What do you think?

I figured I'd start with this since I love the slime tether demo:

The best tech demo right now is the Matrix demo.

Unfortunately its not available for PC right now, so the next best tech demo is Valley of the Ancient. And even for that you have to download UE5 and run it in the editor.

So yeah, not a lot of options right now.

That would be cool !

I can provide http(s) and ftp storage, + backup on my gdrive in case my server go boom.

Someone please share the matrix demo pkg to Rootax. In case it got removed in the future, like PT silent hills.

So those with license still can redownload with my JSON trick

Tech demos is a broad term, we might need a split between hardware demos, demo-scene and game-dev demos.

Lots of archived demos, courtesy of elianda at Vogons.

ftp://78.46.141.148/demos/

I couldn't get Isle of Morg to work. Probably need much older hardware.

Damn, that's nice. Some game demo too. I'll take the tech demo only but nice find.

All right so it's just a raw archive for now, just for storage / archive purpose, raw browsing without any page.

https://web.rootax.org/demos/

Sources are from links above, and some self googeling, but soggi did a great work. I think about letting a ftp open with a user/password exposed here, so anybody reading this can upload new stuff they find, but for security reasons, I hesitate for now. Anyway, It's backed up in a gdrive too, so, well, except If I die suddently, it should be safe.

Maybe it's useless given the work for soggi, let's see.

All right so it's just a raw archive for now, just for storage / archive purpose, raw browsing without any page.

https://web.rootax.org/demos/

Sources are from links above, and some self googeling, but soggi did a great work. I think about letting a ftp open with a user/password exposed here, so anybody reading this can upload new stuff they find, but for security reasons, I hesitate for now. Anyway, It's backed up in a gdrive too, so, well, except If I die suddently, it should be safe.

Maybe it's useless given the work for soggi, let's see.

If you prefer ftp , ftp://web.rootax.org should work with the username "b3d". Read only for now.

Is there a better source for the "RTHDRIBL" demo?

Had to dig it up through archive.org, so it might be a good idea to grab a copy of it. Kind of amazing how good it still looks for being 20 years old.

It would be cute to replicate it with real-time path-tracing and compare.

Last edited:
Back