Can the Xbox 360 really output 1080p??

Don't know. But it's a next to pointless feature.

There are...
Next to no 360 games @ 1080 x 60Hz.
Next to no movies @ 1080 x 48/58/60 Hz

You could probably dig up a handful of IMAX HD movies, but the kind of people who would care to dig up that kind of material wouldn't be running it on a 360 anyway.

It seems to be strictly for the "1080p" bullet point.

Cheers

1080p60 over component is a nice feature for any game that uses over 1280x720; as with 720p you'd be downscaling on the 360 and then upscaling again at the display and hence loosing out on subpixel control, and with 1080i you'd be loosing framerate.

Geometry wars seems to be outputting 1080p native, When I switched to 1920x1080 with my new vga cable, it just zoomed out farther, making all of the ships smaller.

Any games that use a 1920x1080 framebuffer (Which might be most of the '1080i' games) should output native 1080p30.

So it seems to be outputting 1080P to me :)

Also, that is definitely what my monitor (Westinghouse 37" 1080P monitor) reports to me.

MoH

1080p60 over component is a nice feature for any game that uses over 1280x720; as with 720p you'd be downscaling on the 360 and then upscaling again at the display and hence loosing out on subpixel control, and with 1080i you'd be loosing framerate.

Are there any games besides DOA 4 that renders at >1280x720 ?

Cheers

IIRC MotoGP renders at 1280*1024. But I'm not completely sure about it, and a quick search didn't turn up any confirmation.

Yeah, MotoGP uses 1280x1024, I've seen framebuffer grabs. There might be other games that do so as well but MotoGP is the only one I've seen proof of.

And the view in Geometry wars is the same for both 1080p and 720p.

Yeah Pipo, MoHonRi was apparently just projecting a little wishful thinking. ;)
I have heard DOA4 is running at 1080p? not sure though. :???:
I'm quite sure it doesn't render at 1080p, 1280x1024 is what I've heard it renders at and that looks about right to me.

Yeah Pipo, MoHonRi was apparently just projecting a little wishful thinking. ;)

I'm quite sure it doesn't render at 1080p, 1280x1024 is what I've heard it renders at and that looks about right to me.

yeah you're prob right.

I don't see why people are complaining, 1080P is here now for the 360 and available for game makers to make use of. My Westy 42 inch 1080P LCD appreciates a 1080P signal going to it through VGA.
It's better to have the option then to not, also this was a free update, so why would anyone complain about it?

I didn't see anyone complaining...

Just some people bitching about it being just a PR upgrade in the wake of the PS3 release, just to keep up with the jargon war... 1080p is the new "thing" afterall.

If it doesn't render natively at 1080P, what is the purpose of upscaling the image? Does it make it look any better if the image is upscaled? Anyone with personal experience care to share?

If it doesn't render natively at 1080P, what is the purpose of upscaling the image? Does it make it look any better if the image is upscaled? Anyone with personal experience care to share?

Well speaking from upscaled DVDs, it DOES make the picture better overall by a bit (makes it somehow cleaner)

This is just how it has to work.
You Pick an output resolution and any internal resoltion is scaled to that for output.
A lot of early HDTV's won't take a wide variety of input resolutions, one of mine will only take 1080i for example, feeding it a 720p signal will get you no picture, so what 360 and PS3 do is let you select the output resolution and scale everything to that on output.

This is just how it has to work.
You Pick an output resolution and any internal resoltion is scaled to that for output.
A lot of early HDTV's won't take a wide variety of input resolutions, one of mine will only take 1080i for example, feeding it a 720p signal will get you no picture, so what 360 and PS3 do is let you select the output resolution and scale everything to that on output.
Thats what the 360 does.... You've got a couple more weeks to find out if thats true of the PS3...

Back