Can the Revolution be as successful as the DS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't honestly think so.
The thing with the DS and Revolution is, they're really different markets, what happens in the handheld market really bears no effect upon what happens in the home console market.

If Revolution succeeds, it surely won't be because of DS. And Nintendo shouldn't think that could happen either, Revolution needs to succeed on its own merits, otherwise it will be another GC.

Like any other console needs to succeed on their own merits, not because they have "cousins" that were fantastically successful. In fact, looking at history, when a company leans on their old fame without even trying, the console fails.

PS2 succeeded on its own merits, not because PS1 was a great success. And PSP isn't really "winning" anything because there aren't that many games for it, even though its "cousins" were the 2 most successful consoles ever.

If PS3 "wins", it will be because of something it has or does, not because PS2 or PSP or PS1 were very good successes.

By the same token, N64 didn't "win" because Nintendo held on to their old fame without changing their way, and GC was the same. DS on the other hand is succeeding because it offers a LOT of good things, from backward compatibility to all old GBC/GBA games to really innovative and good games made specifically for DS.

Thread Title Edited

"War Of The Consoles!" is definitely not a good title for a discussion about the potential market performance of the Revolution.

Now, and on topic, a few months ago I wouldn't have say this, but I think that the impressive results of some of the DS games (Brain Training, etc...) in Japan are showing that there's clearly a market for the Revolution in Japan.

I believe that DS suceeds because it has great portable games, not because of innovation. The Japanese travels alot and needs those quick fun games. Revolution is a home console so things may not apply.

I think it may help, after all if all those girls (no gamers) how never played before had bought a Nintendo DS mey be at very least curious to know Nintendo Revolution if they knew their existence, then I am sure it will help in selling at least a few more units, but it also should help to make a well/better know console in less time.

I am not saying it will have a major impact but at least some it will.

I think the main point here is that both the DS and Revolution are very different from traditional and competition systems.
Both aim to innovate and bring something new to the player, that goes for input method (touch screen & revolution pad), as well as for games (innovative and quick to play).

Basically the competition is going with "more of the same", more power, more effects, more... but that doesn't actually mean more diversified gameplay, which both the DS and Revolution are trying to achieve.

So, can the Revolution sell as well as the DS, I don't know, I think we still need to see graphics and price (which make system sell too) before we can conclude that.
Is the Revolution going to help get Nintendo into the light, certainly already is...

I sure think at a certain price point revolution can outsell the others. Okay maybe not the juggernaut PS3. But you never know.

At about $149 with all the features it has. Great games, unique easy to use controller. Downloadable archived content of classic games.

I mean why not price the console at this price then have extra income by means of downloads, rental fees. Monthly unlimited rental fee which is rumored to be $15 a month.

I think Revolution will sell much more than Gamecube. Even just the name and the look of the unit will sell it to the crowds much more than GC ever did.

It's an attractive console, which counts more than people think.

Plus, it offers something different, while the other 2 (Sony and MS) are battling it out by offering the exact same experiences and see who comes out on top.

I'm still not entirely convinced the reasons the DS is selling so well is the touchscreen and the dual screens. I'd attribute it primarely to brand-recognition and software support, rather than the hardware specific features its offering. As a result, I'm not entirely sure Revolution will do much better than GameCube.

The potential is there for it to do better, but on the other hand, it could also backfire by drastically changing the concept of which has proven to sell quite well and expand (the path consoles have went the last 3 generations and expanded the market). On one hand, I could see Nintendo loosing even more customers that will be heading off into the Xbox/PlayStation camp looking for something more traditional, while I could see others go to Revolution for that exact reason. Given I'm still not sure what we can exactly expect from Revolution, it makes it quite a tough on to answer or even predict. What I do see though is that Revolution could do quite well entirely on consumers that are looking for a cheaper, innovative 2nd console that has offers something quite different. I see this far more likely than people buying a PS3 AND a Xbox360, given both are more or less going to offer the same experience, similar type of software and appeal to more or less the same market.

Another point I'll raise is how much is software price promoting DS, and how will that affect Nintendo's takings? Games are cheaper than PSP. If cheap games is a major selling point, and that's needed for Rev to do well, even if Nintendo improve their position in console sales they could do less well in the earnings department.

Phil said:
I'm still not entirely convinced the reasons the DS is selling so well is the touchscreen and the dual screens. I'd attribute it primarely to brand-recognition and software support, rather than the hardware specific features its offering. As a result, I'm not entirely sure Revolution will do much better than GameCube.

The potential is there for it to do better, but on the other hand, it could also backfire by drastically changing the concept of which has proven to sell quite well and expand (the path consoles have went the last 3 generations and expanded the market). On one hand, I could see Nintendo loosing even more customers that will be heading off into the Xbox/PlayStation camp looking for something more traditional, while I could see others go to Revolution for that exact reason. Given I'm still not sure what we can exactly expect from Revolution, it makes it quite a tough on to answer or even predict. What I do see though is that Revolution could do quite well entirely on consumers that are looking for a cheaper, innovative 2nd console that has offers something quite different. I see this far more likely than people buying a PS3 AND a Xbox360, given both are more or less going to offer the same experience, similar type of software and appeal to more or less the same market.

That's what i was saying. DS has really great portable games and people that travel like that stuff. Games on DS are easy and fun that you can play in short or long burst. That's how portable games should be whereas psp games are console games that you could take with you. Home consoles don't work that way, they are meant for you to sit long and play them. So if Revolution's games aren't like that, no price for the console would matter for it has flopped right there. Price and not enough games was the culprit for psp not selling the way it should have.

As far as time is concerned is not the PSP doing close to as good as the DS worldwide? So if the DS will help the Revolution to put Nintendo into greatness, what will the PSP do for the PS3?

I think the thread's title is an interesting question, but can't the samething be asked about the PSP?

I forgot who mentioned it, but it's always a good point for me. Was the GBA a good indicator of the Gamecube's success?

Revolution will succeed if it has enough decent software to back it up.

I'll post this a second time and let the mods delete it again if they really think something is wrong with this.

Gamecube sales compred to GBA/DS sales should demonstrate quite well that handhelds sales do not translate into console sales. The console has to make it on it's own merits, it cannot ride the coat tails of other products.

The only significant difference between the Gamecube and Revolution are the old classic Nintendo games that you can download, and the controller. The old games might attract old Nintendo fans, but 20 year old games isn't going to bring in a lot of new customers, and the controller by itself isn't going to sell the system. (If all it took to drastically increase sales was a "revolutionary" controller than why was the N64 userbase 16 million lower than the SNES?)

Personally, no. I think that they may be slicing their fanbase in two with this vast departure from what so many have been comfortable with, regarding the controller. Although i am excited to, say, play a Metroid or Zelda game on the Rev-the possibilities are just endless with that controller-i dont think that others will be as open to such an alien device.

It's a gamble-unlike the 360 and PS3, i cant realy predict where the rev will be in 5 years-but then again, big business is all about taking risks, right?

Revolution isn't all that revolutionary. I mean can't eye-toy do most of the things Revolution's controller can? That cup demo at e3 showed that right?

pixelbox said:
Revolution isn't all that revolutionary. I mean can't eye-toy do most of the things Revolution's controller can? That cup demo at e3 showed that right?
depends on how they utilize it, i suppose. (regarding both devices).

pixelbox said:
Can the Revolution be as successful as the DS?

Yes.

pixelbox said:
With DS doing so well is there a possiblity Revolution would be as popular and beat out the others?

Yes, the possibility is there. This market is hard to predict, so we will just have to wait and see what happens... but keep in mind that there is no guarantee that success in one segment of the market (DS), will lead to success in another segment of the market (Revolution).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back