Can Nintendo's iQue based GB64 outrun PSP???

I think so, because the price/performance ratio of iQue is just right.

1. Nintendo could launch an iQue based GB64 for only $99 without losing money, while SCEI is expected to lose a shirt even at $199.

2. Most developers are already familiar with N64 development, while PSP is an entirely new machine.

3. Nintendo could have the entire library of N64 titles available at launch, while the PSP launch titles will be scarce.

This upcoming GB64 vs PSP battle maybe one of which the better value outperforms the technically superior.

This upcoming GB64 vs PSP battle will be one of which the better value outperforms the technically superior.

Nope, In handheld world its Pokemon, so in this case, Pokemon vs PSP.

DeadmeatGA said:
I think so, because the ratio of price/performance ratio is just right.

1. Nintendo could sell a iQue based GB64 for only $99 without losing money, while SCEI is expected to lose a shirt even at $199.

2. Most developers are already familiar with N64 development, while PSP is an entirely new machine.

3. Nintendo could have the entire library of N64 titles available at launch, while PSP launch titles will be scarce.

This upcoming GB64 vs PSP battle will be one of which the better value outperforms the technically superior.

So now even the PSP is doomed... you surely are not biased against Sony :rolleyes:

DeadmeatGA said:
I think so, because the ratio of price/performance ratio is just right.

1. Nintendo could sell a iQue based GB64 for only $99 without losing money, while SCEI is expected to lose a shirt even at $199.

3. Nintendo could have the entire library of N64 titles available at launch, while PSP launch titles will be scarce.

No poor Developers having to use an antiquated and complicated architecture and have to code it to the metal ?

Uhm... double standards, huh ?

Also, by the attention third parties are giving to Sony and its PSP I would not call the launch line-up that scarce...

Isn't iQue a product for China only?

If they released it outside of China, I'd think they'd have to worry more about cutting into sales of the Gamecube and GBA first before wondering whether they can put a dent in anyone else's sales...

kaching said:
Isn't iQue a product for China only?

If they released it outside of China, I'd think they'd have to worry more about cutting into sales of the Gamecube and GBA first before wondering whether they can put a dent in anyone else's sales...

I think he's talking about a NEW GB based on iQue hardware. This hardware would compete with PSP.

That having been said, I would say yes, it can compete with and quite possibly "beat" PSP, but no, it cannot dominate it. I think that the only way Nintendo could really grind PSP into dust would be with a GCP, which noone on this forum seems to think is a possibility. Otherwise, PSP is going to gain a valuable foothold in the market, which they will be able to hold onto and expand. In fact, long term I think Nintendo almost has to release a GCP around when PSP launches, because if they don't, by the time they do finally get a comparable machine out the door, PSP will already have a significant advantage in terms of userbase and developers. But I digress...

IMO PSP would be better simply because it has more memory and wouldn't be limited by carts.
PSP would be much superior hardware, no doubt about that, but in case of GB64, Nintendo would most certainly have a price advantage.

No poor Developers having to use an antiquated and complicated architecture and have to code it to the metal ?
The difficulty of programming arises from unfamiliarity. The fact that most developers are already familiar with N64 is an incentive enough for developers to sign up.

If Nintendo released a N64 portable at $99, I would buy it. It's definitely a good idea.

As to killing off the PSP - well, that's a big if, and only if Nintendo actually decides to create one (no signs that they are). Battery life, bringing down production costs (the iQue has neither batteries nor an LCD screen) are all problems they need to solve. (Problems that you seem to convinently forget after endlessly reminding us of them in PSP threads). PSP has a lot of developers signing on right now, and it does a lot more than just games.

DGMA, you leave me genuinely amazed this time. This thread isn't a case of taking some Sony news and spinning it in the worst way possible. This isn't even Googling for obscure Sony PR. This is fabricating a scenario out of virtually nothing. You might as well create a thread asking "What if an earthquake destroys Sony's Fabs?", or "What if lightning struck Ken Katuragi?" What could possibly cause you to hate Sony so much?

...and by the way, am i the only one who noticed the comment:
The difficulty of programming arises from unfamiliarity. The fact that most developers are already familiar with N64 is an incentive enough for developers to sign up.

when he's the first to complain about how PS2 was hard to program 4 *because the second VU was added at the last minute*... :LOL: :rolleyes:

back to topic...

nondescript said:
This is fabricating a scenario out of virtually nothing. You might as well create a thread asking "What if an earthquake destroys Sony's Fabs?"

ROFL!

Man, that one was a bullseye if ever I saw one. LOL!

*G*

It seems sensible

I think you could look at the iQue as a testbed for a new gameboy..

Most N64 games ran at 256x224 - current GBA screen is 240x160, so increasing res for new screen isn't a big problem ( or games could be redesigned from 256x224 to 240x160 )

Most N64 games already rom based

It may not be as powerfull on paper as PSP, but it would easily compare to java phones..

when he's the first to complain about how PS2 was hard to program 4 *because the second VU was added at the last minute*...
N64 by all definition is a "traditional" rendering architecture; it sticks to OpenGL-like pipe and all the rendering stages are nicely abstracted by a set of APIs, leaving few problems for developers to deal with. The lone weakness of N64 architecture was the Rambus DRAM latency; developers had to schedule memory access around this latency and this made code scheduling difficult. But just replace Rambus with conventional DDR ram and the problem is gone.

The situation is totally different from wacky PSX2, which was in Okamoto's own word "one of the craziest architectures ever developed".

I'd disagree...

Although the library for the N64 was OpenGL like ( not surprising given the SGI heritage ) the HW has a lot in common with the PS2.. You can quite easily think of the RCP as an integer only version of the VU...

CrazyAce said:
Although the library for the N64 was OpenGL like ( not surprising given the SGI heritage ) the HW has a lot in common with the PS2.. You can quite easily think of the RCP as an integer only version of the VU...
Not to mention managing the tiny tiny texture cache on N64 which makes any GS texture upload issues look trivial.

Deadmeat, just a quick question - would you rather buy a PSP or your phantom GB64 if they both have equal number of games you like, equal batterly life and ergonomy?

Back