Can games using directx 10 be ported to the PS3?

bbot

Regular
By this I mean can a directx 10 game be ported to the PS3 without dropping any effects. The RSX is, after all, a directx 9 gpu, even if it doesn't use directx.

By this I mean can a directx 10 game be ported to the PS3 without dropping any effects. The RSX is, after all, a directx 9 gpu, even if it doesn't use directx.
'Without dropping any effects' is a hard one to answer as it depends how they're done and what resources are used. eg. On a PC game using DX10 requiring a 512 MB DX10 card and 2 GB RAM in the PC, it's not unlikely that certain aspects of the game will be dropped. However, porting a DX10 game incorporating the abilties of a DX10 class GPU is something PS3 should be able to handle quite well thanks to the versatility of Cell.

As an example of DX effects on non-DX hardware, PS2 hasn't any pixel shaders and barely classes as a DX7 part, but GOW on PS2 has some excellent reflections (best in class) that would use pixel shaders on a DX9 GPU. You can use different techniques to achieve the same results.

That's a bit of a silly comment..

Just because the RSX is based on a DirectX/OpenGL based PC card, doesn't mean that the RSX is a DirectX GPU..
Surely considering the fact that such a GPU was developed from the ground up (using the G70 as a reference) AND the fact that the designers had in mind the fact that the GPU would never run DirectX from the get-go, means that they would have designed the G70 reference, stripping out all DirectX processing capability and ramping up the OpenGL ES based processing bits, modifying with power and heat reduction in mind.. I can't imagine the RSX is a DirectX GPU by ANY means otherwise wouldn't that be an incredibly stupid waste of silicon?

Surely considering the fact that such a GPU was developed from the ground up (using the G70 as a reference) AND the fact that the designers had in mind the fact that the GPU would never run DirectX from the get-go, means that they would have designed the G70 reference, stripping out all DirectX processing capability and ramping up the OpenGL ES based processing bits, modifying with power and heat reduction in mind.. I can't imagine the RSX is a DirectX GPU by ANY means otherwise wouldn't that be an incredibly stupid waste of silicon?
Sorry, but you really have no idea what you're talking about. It's scary how confused people are over what DirectX means in relation to hardware. The same bits used for DirectX are used for OpenGL. Stripping out the DirectX bits would leave an empty die!

As has been said, there is more than one solution for graphics effects. It then becomes a question of whether or not the developers take the time to find those alternate solutions during the porting! :p

Effects that really really require integer processing, if such a thing actually exists, would be very difficult to port over. Other than that I don't think there is anything in DX10 that a PS3 just couldn't do one way or another.

It has less memory than a modern PC and a whole lot of stream-computation potential, and that will have far more differentiating impact than that silly DX thing.

As I understand it, rather than giving your "new effects", DX10 gives you new and faster ways to implement existing effects, existing effects being pretty much anything as a DX9 GPU can probably render anything, its only limited by the speed at which it can render it.

So if a particular game used DX10 to create graphics which would be much slower using DX9 methods and that game pushed the limits of a decent DX10 GPU's power, it probably wouldn't be possible on PS3 without compromises.

As I understand it, rather than giving your "new effects", DX10 gives you new and faster ways to implement existing effects, existing effects being pretty much anything as a DX9 GPU can probably render anything, its only limited by the speed at which it can render it.

So if a particular game used DX10 to create graphics which would be much slower using DX9 methods and that game pushed the limits of a decent DX10 GPU's power, it probably wouldn't be possible on PS3 without compromises.

Thank you for the reasoned reply, and not just "lol".

Effects that really really require integer processing, if such a thing actually exists, would be very difficult to port over. Other than that I don't think there is anything in DX10 that a PS3 just couldn't do one way or another.

What about heavy use of dynamic branching? RSX as a G70 derivate should be pretty lame doing that.

Also I don't think you can emulate the geometry stage on CPU without suffering performance greatly (especially if filtered texture lookups are used as an input).

What about heavy use of dynamic branching? RSX as a G70 derivate should be pretty lame doing that.
this has nothing to do with D3D10, it's not a requirement to have a particular dynamic branching implementation, it has just to be there.
Also I don't think you can emulate the geometry stage on CPU without suffering performance greatly (especially if filtered texture lookups are used as an input).
It depends, if you try to exactly mimic on a CPU what a GPU does then you are going to fail for sure.
Texturing can be done in so many different ways.

Marco

Hmm don't really think its possible

Crysis looks like it's surpassed Xbox360 and PS3 already

And also PC will always be ahead of Consoles its simple as that

PS3 and Xbox360 might win over PC for the end of the year

But HAVE! you seen the new G80 Cards it flippin massive thats the only reason why consoles sell no need to upgrade a dozen times and also no need to worry about system requirements.

I know PC will always win its just that people can't get over it

I might get flamed for this post but it's true
PC is a different beast to consoles no need to compare them :devilish:

The first batch of DX10 GPU's will get there ass's hand'd to them by DX9 cards, point is FIRST generation DX10 GPU's wont be very good at all as its the GPU's makers first attempt at a new architecture.

The first batch of DX10 GPU's will get there ass's hand'd to them by DX9 cards, point is FIRST generation DX10 GPU's wont be very good at all as its the GPU's makers first attempt at a new architecture.

What gives you that idea? First gen D3D10 cards (G80/R600) should handily spank any current cards out in DX9.

Back