Can dedicated Physics processors assist in A.I., & Shadi

Discussion in 'GPGPU Technology & Programming' started by jpr27, Apr 12, 2005.

1. jpr27

Regular

With all the talk of possibly using dedicated Physics chips (AGEIA and PhysX for example), I was just wondering if the chip could also be used to help with A.I., vertex shading tasks just to name a few? I know the main purpose of the chip idea is focused on physics but it seems logical with the crunching power of this dedicated chip that it may be able to assist with other tasks.

Say you have reached your desired point of physics work in a given environment or level but still havnt reached the limits of the Physics chip.
    Could you use the remaining power to squeez out extra shading performance or would you be bound to physics applications?

I know the UE3 engine will use AGEIA and spoke of the upside to using it for physics but I have found nothing to suggest anything outside of physic specific aplications. (If I am wrong please point me to a link that may show other applications which could be used).

I would appreciate any information regarding applications (if they truely will be used) outside of physics and what will they most likely used for. (Again shading, A.I., other etc.)

Personally my main focus is if the chip will be able to process A.I. tasks along with physics (seperate) or will it be A.I. as long as it relates directly to physics? (Hope that makes since. Its late :oops: )

Thanks

2. kyetech

Regular

arrrgh..................what if, maybe if, be good if, if it could, should do, could do, wanna do, be nice, I think, should we SLI, replace SLI, use inconjunction with SLI.
    ???????????????
    ??????????????
    ???????????????

5th PPU thread on front page, It seams we need more data, before we can progress with this topic.