Calling The Undecided -- Need Your Opinion!

bRoNx

Regular
Ok, we're now in September, and TGS is just around the corner. Microsoft is only months away from launching their next-gen console, and will probably be making a blockbusting announcement on the 27th. No one can deny the buzz that is the XBOX360, and preorders seem available everywhere.

Now, I'm just curious about this. What can SONY show/tell at TGS that's good enough to make you wait for the PS3. Please, this is not a call for the SONY f@nboys, or asking for trouble from the XBOX360 camp (seen enough of that already!), I'm just asking your opinion on what it would take for SONY to win your dough!?

For me personally, I'm prepared to wait for the PS3 to launch before investing my (hard earned) money on a next-gen console. I have enough to look forward to from the PS2 later this year/early next to keep me occupied. And then there's the PSP...it's on the "to buy" list (just released here on Middle Earth a.k.a NZ).

But then again, the XBOX360 will offer the next step in console technology, with eye-popping visuals, and player interaction never experienced before...not to mention promising new franchises (namely GOW -- DAMN!)!

Will you jump on board, or is there something SONY can say/do to make you wait?

I most likely will buy both consoles, but if sony can just blow away ms with incredible videos of what their console will be able to accomplish compared to xbox's. Than ill skip on ms.

So i guess what ill be waiting for is general agreement (lol) that ps3 is vastly superior to xbox360.

epic

bRoNx said:

Yes. "We're not Microsoft" will be enough for me, no need to do anything else.

I've no idea what they could be announcing that would enable them to grab the hype-crown at this early stage. Maybe they've got something planned, or maybe they just think it's too soon, who can say for sure.

If they do plan to reveal something, it's sure to involve either GT, MGS or GTA, or a combination thereof. In part at least, perhaps they might have something new to offer too, it's hard to say. :D Chances are very high they'd rely on their already established heavy-hitters IMO, those are the games people know, and that people anticipate.

For me, it doesn't really matter though. I'll get either console regardless.

I’ll buy a PS3 whenever they come donw in price and good games actually start comming out(took quite awile with PS2). but to be honest the unless Sony brings back some of the old games(aka Warhawk) and their graphics really are a very noticeable improvement over the 360(possible but unlikely) it will probably sit and collect dust like my PS2(well actually my nephews have had it for the last 6 months) I have zero interest in any RPG besides Oblivion IMO Japanese RPG a big bore fest waste of time and the GT series has been easier dethroned for Forza. I’m sure I’ll play the new star wars games that will be exclusive to PS3 but thats about it.

"Yes. "We're not Microsoft" will be enough for me, no need to do anything else."

rolls eye's

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll wait for PS3, because

*Announced Xbox 2 exclusive games don't interest me, and thinking about the exclusives of the first Xbox I suspect there won't be exclusive games that I'd desire to play.
*I prefer to play FPS games with mouse and keyboard, instead of playing them with pad on Xbox 2.
*My favorite franchises will most probably continue (exclusively?) on PS3.
*I believe there'll be many new games that aren't sequels on PS3 (as there was on PS2) that'll be to my liking.
*Sony has fulfilled my gaming needs for almost a decade, I have no reason to believe things would be different during the next cycle.
*BluRay.

For me to buy any of the next-gen consoles all it will take are some compelling games that I feel I have to play, and some kind of sign that there is more to come.

I'll buy between 0 and n consoles, where n is the number of available platforms - but if I was a bit more strapped for cash I'd probably wait until around xmas time to see what games have been announced for all platforms and possible the state of x360 launch titles.

I couldn't care less what any of the actual console manufacturers say. unless it's detailed and reasonably reliable information about games...

At this point I suspect I'll end up with a PS3 because the last couple of PS generations have seen a reasonable number of exclusive titles I'd want to play and there is no reason to believe this will not be the case again. I have no current plans to get an X360 but that could change with a single game release. I don't even *know* anything about Revolution other than the prototype looked like the kind of cute shiny gadget I'm a sucker for. I played approximately one and a half games on my cube... so who knows if I'll end up with one of those - I'll probably get one in a moment of madness and it's sit looking shiny but increasingly dusty under my telly.

I'm getting them all again so I'm not really undecided. Although I probably wont get PS3 at launch, I think I'll wait for a price drop or a real must have exclusive (preferably an FPS or an RPG). I don't think there is nothing that Sony could do or say for me to not get an X360.

Sony can show some massive movies and realtime demos that blows away MSx360 offerings (i'm not saying this will be the case ...)

but if you are a happy playstation2 owner, most will wait OR ALSO buy a x360 (remember backwards compatibility for current list of games)

i will buy x360 and eventually sell it again for a ps3 .
dunno why but i'm much more looking forward to ps3 then xbox360

maybe the MS logo does this to people? :D

Just in another thread I wrote there's probably one game coming for PS2 that's sparking my interest way more than anything next generation related, be it Xbox360 or PS3 - that being Final Fantasy XII. Well, there is one thing though that would instantly get my blood pressure up to a 180 for PS3.....

MGS4.

Oh, and I must say that I agree with .Melchiah. further up completely. Couldn't have said it better.

Actually, inspite of this thread, I must say the more relevant question given that Microsoft is still the underdog is: "what will Microsoft have to say to convince consumers not to wait for PS3". I think that's what it boils down to. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Some strong EyeToy stuff will make a big show. That's something unique to the PS ATM and there's lots of potential. eg. Baseball/Cricket where you swing a bat in your living room to whack the ball on screen. And we've seen the developments in modelling based on screen captures for including players inside games or stuff.

Other games will have their counterparts on XB360, racers, FPSs, etc. but if included as standard the EyeToy has the potential to make the difference. Without that, I'd still say the expectation is for PS3 to have more titles and more varied games so it'd be a better choice for the future. I don't know that Sony have to show anything at TGS to counter XB360 hype - the PS brand is still as strong as it's ever been.

Phil said:
Just in another thread I wrote there's probably one game coming for PS2 that's sparking my interest way more than anything next generation related, be it Xbox360 or PS3. Well, there is one thing though that would instantly get my blood pressure up to a 180...

MGS4.

Oh, and I must say that I agree with .Melchiah. further up completely. Couldn't have said it better.

Actually, inspite of this thread, I must say the more relevant question given that Microsoft is still the underdog is: "what will Microsoft have to say to convince consumers not to wait for PS3". I think that's what it boils down to. ;)

I thought MGS4 was only coming out for ps3?

Valioso:

Oops my bad - worded it a bit misleading. I edited it, hope it's clearer now. :D

From a ****** wish fulfilment perspective, I expect Sony to spoil the Xbox 360's party with...

Real time Killzone footage better than the E3 demo.
MGS4 trailer
GTA4 Exclusivity
Something extra from EA to make their content more desireable on the PS3.

Then there is the whole Blu-Ray bandwagon, that is due a major announcement before the end of the year.

Edit: Just thinking about the E3 stuff.

Heavenly Sword and MotorStorm are pretty persuasive titles too.

Nick Laslett said:
From a ****** wish fulfilment perspective, I expect Sony to spoil the Xbox 360's party with...

Real time Killzone footage better than the E3 demo.
MGS4 trailer
GTA4 Exclusivity
Something extra from EA to make their content more desireable on the PS3.

Then there is the whole Blu-Ray bandwagon, that is due a major announcement before the end of the year.

Edit: Just thinking about the E3 stuff.

Heavenly Sword and MotorStorm are pretty persuasive titles too.

Yep thats definitely a fanbuoy perspective.:cool:

bRoNx said:
Ok, we're now in September, and TGS is just around the corner. Microsoft is only months away from launching their next-gen console, and will probably be making a blockbusting announcement on the 27th. No one can deny the buzz that is the XBOX360, and preorders seem available everywhere.

Now, I'm just curious about this. What can SONY show/tell at TGS that's good enough to make you wait for the PS3. Please, this is not a call for the SONY f@nboys, or asking for trouble from the XBOX360 camp (seen enough of that already!), I'm just asking your opinion on what it would take for SONY to win your dough!?

For me personally, I'm prepared to wait for the PS3 to launch before investing my (hard earned) money on a next-gen console. I have enough to look forward to from the PS2 later this year/early next to keep me occupied. And then there's the PSP...it's on the "to buy" list (just released here on Middle Earth a.k.a NZ).

But then again, the XBOX360 will offer the next step in console technology, with eye-popping visuals, and player interaction never experienced before...not to mention promising new franchises (namely GOW -- DAMN!)!

IMO, unless you plan on buying both, the only smart thing to do is wait until the PS3 is released and then make a fair comparison between them. See which has more games that you are interested in. After that make your decision.

As for me, I'm buying both, and may get a Revolution as well. The games are what I'm interested in, not whose name is attached to the hardware.

Back