Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, burying a few Old West Legends

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
Hello strangers, I am new in town and I am up to no good. I will die with the boots on. Seriously, I don't know what the magic of this game is but I love Call of Juarez series. (this is a copy & paste from another thread on the series I had created 6 years ago, how younger I was, right?)

Lots of water passed under the bridge since then, but Call of Juarez still remains one of my favourite games ever released on a console or the PC -I played it on the Xbox 360-.

In fact, I have never ever laughed so much with a game, to the point of crying with laughter, from watching my TOTAL casual brother playing the game and complaining.

Seeing how much a TOTALLY non gamer like him truly loved the game says a lot about it.

It also featured one of the most memorable characters in a game ever, reverend Ray.

The next iteration of this fabulous series is Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. A brand new trailer for the game has been released by its publisher, Ubisoft, showing off the game’s graphics (all in-engine) in motion for the first time.

The player take on the role of Silas Greaves, the ruthless bounty hunter attempting to eliminate some of the Wild West’s greatest outlaws, the game links to the history of the Wild West by using a mixture of fact and myth. This means that the likes of Pat Garret, Jesse James, and Butch Cassidy will be featured in the game.
CoJ: Gunslinger is set as a downloadable only title.

The new trailer can be seen here:

Here are some screens:

1362678182-call-of-juarez-gunslinger.jpg

1362676536-4.jpg

1362676536-1.jpg

1362676535-5.jpg

1362676536-2.jpg

1362676536-3.jpg

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2013/10/1362676533-juarez-girl.jpg

http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2013/03/call-of-juarez-gunslinger-teaser.html

Haven't played any of this series. They had the 1st one for sale for $10 during that week long sale a week or so go & I almost jumped at, but I think I would like the 2nd in the series more. I think I might buy it used before playing COJ: Gunslinger. The latter looks really pretty. Wonder how well it will compare to Red Dead Redemption...

Tommy McClain

Hopefully this is a return to the good CoJ games. The first 2 were great. The 3rd one (CoJ: The Cartel) sucked serious donkey gonads. :p

This looks promising so far though.

Regards,
SB

Haven't played any of this series. They had the 1st one for sale for $10 during that week long sale a week or so go & I almost jumped at, but I think I would like the 2nd in the series more. I think I might buy it used before playing COJ: Gunslinger. The latter looks really pretty. Wonder how well it will compare to Red Dead Redemption...

Tommy McClain
I've seen the first Call of Juarez priced at 3$ the other day, and I believe the offer still exists (Games on Demand section).

As for the 2nd game being probably more to your liking... Well, I can tell you that 99,9% -if not the 100%- of the people who have played both games tend to prefer the 1st Call of Juarez to Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood.

Don't get me wrong, Call of Juarez: BiB is a pretty decent game, I also think you would like it, but it's just that the original CoJ is kind of special.

It also has some of the best multiplayer maps I have ever played, especially Panoche Pass, Mine Encounter and OKCorral, among others (I forget their name). In other games those maps would be true classics material.

Skirmish mode was especially addicting, and sometimes it wasn't about being the fastest with the trigger, but smart using your tactics. Having a sharp eye is also a good thing, of course.

Aside from that, I can tell you that my brother, who never plays games, NEVER, could spend hours and hours in the online. He played the second game too and spent his good share of time playing it, but he doesn't find the online as addicting as in the first game.

The story was interesting too, but what I liked the most was some of the characters, especially Reverend Ray, who was a hell of a character in Call of Juarez 1 -he is in Call of Juarez BiB, in his younger days.

Only John Marston matches reverend Ray's epicness. Possibly one of the best gaming characters ever. Great personality, loads of fun.

Additionally, the game looked amazing taking into account it came out in 2006, and it has aged very very well. I still look with certain astonishment some of the landscapes these days, especially the rocky mountains and their textures.

I recall taking loads of photos with my camera when playing the game in order to show off about how capable was the console.

Here is a couple of videos showing how much of a technological showcase Call of Juarez was back then (HDR, Refraction, dynamic real time shadowing, etc etc):

(nice song btw)

If you loved RDR, these games are different -perhaps slightly more fun to play, (CoJ1 was a lot more fun to play, imho) although less open- but they add to the genre, and are original in their own ways.

Hopefully this is a return to the good CoJ games. The first 2 were great. The 3rd one (CoJ: The Cartel) sucked serious donkey gonads. :p

This looks promising so far though.

Regards,
SB
Yes, this one seems to go back to the roots of the franchise, and certainly looks better than Call of Juarez: BiB, which also looked worse than Call of Juarez 1.

I expected an evolution in that sense, not an involution, but the graphics in Call of Juarez BiB lacked that certain something that made CoJ 1 look so fine.

CoJ: Gunslinger art style is a lot more similar to Call of Juarez 1's art style, thankfully.

As for looking promising, I agree, it certainly does. I showed the trailer to my 100% casual brother and he seems to give his outlaw seal of approval to the game.

Cheers. See yah'

I was interested in BiB mainly due to it being a prequel & newer. The first one was basically a ported PC title released early in the console cycle. So expected it to not look as pretty or as developed as the 2nd one or RDR. Anyway, I have some credits still at a local used game store & might consider using it for either one. I understand it's not a open-world game & its a FPS, but I have a hankering for a Old West game & right now both seem to fit the bill.

Tommy McClain

I was interested in BiB mainly due to it being a prequel & newer. The first one was basically a ported PC title released early in the console cycle. So expected it to not look as pretty or as developed as the 2nd one or RDR. Anyway, I have some credits still at a local used game store & might consider using it for either one. I understand it's not a open-world game & its a FPS, but I have a hankering for a Old West game & right now both seem to fit the bill.

Tommy McClain
The new trailer should be launched today, I haven't seen it anywhere for now, but I will add the link here whenever it is uploaded and I know about it.

Regarding Call of Juarez 1 and 2, it's a matter of tastes, but oddly enough the first game -on consoles- looks better than the second one.

I am trying to be as objective as I can on the matter at hand.

If you are somewhat interested in both games, taking into account that Call of Juarez, the original version, costs 3$ (if things haven't changed) maybe you could try both games and judge by yourself, but as I mentioned before, 99% of the people that played both games and told me about which version they like the most, usually said that they preferred the first game. There is certainly something special about it.

Btw, here is a video of the reverend Ray -from Call of Juarez 1, he is in the sequel too as a playable character, just much younger-, which is one of my favourites characters in a videogame ever.

Well, the reveal trailer has been released, as expected.

The new video shows more of the game in action – in particular the one on one shootouts. The inclusion of Billy the Kid, Butch Cassidy, Pat Garret, Jesse James, etc, will bring a touch of reality to the game. Can't wait to play these real-life icons of the history.

Here it is the new trailer (have to say that I liked the first more, because of the speech and the style, brought me good memories from playing Call of Juarez 1 with my brother):

First preview I found...

http://venturebeat.com/2013/04/22/call-of-juarez-gunslinger-doesnt-do-the-wild-west-justice-preview/

Not real flattering, but with a free demo I'll still check it out. BTW, ended getting the original first 2 games. Haven't played them yet, but will eventually. Even got the older "Gun" title too. I think I have every Old West on Xbox 360 now. LOL

Tommy McClain
It doesn't sound very appealing judging from the preview. Although I gotta admit I LOVED reading the article, it's so well written.

Even so, he is wrong when he says that it is a historically mediocre franchise -if you take into account CoJ:Cartel, of course it is, the second game is average although the MP is okay-, when the first Call of Juarez is a very, very good game, it deserves all the praise it can get -specially the reverend story part, the other alternative story is not so great-.

Those rock masses still look astonishing to me these days, and the atmosphere is so great, it makes you feel you are in the Old West. It's one of the games I played for more hours this generation.

Oddly enough, the second game doesn't have such convincing graphics --it's an okay game anyways.

cheers

Back