Call of Duty: Ghosts (PC)

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 13524

nVidia just published the minimum requirements for the PC version of CoD: Ghosts.

Here they are:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 2.66 GHZ / AMD Phenom X3 8750 2.4 GHZ or better
RAM: 6 GB RAM
HDD: 50 GB HD space
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti / ATI Radeon HD 5870 or better
Sound: DirectX Compatible Sound Card
DirectX: 11
Internet: Broadband connection and service required for Multiplayer Connectivity. Internet connection required for activation.

Lots of surprises for me here:

1 - First with 6GB RAM, which also means first that will only run on a 64-bit OS,
2 - Really high-end GPUs (comparatively). I'm pretty sure this will run on any DX11 GPU with over 1GB RAM, but if a HD5870 is needed to maintain decent framerates on minimum settings, then most laptop users will have a bad time.
3 - 50GB hard disk space. Ouch.
4 - CPU requirements are... feeble in comparison with everything else.

This is one of the first multiplatform games that will share code between new consoles and the PC.
Souped up GPUs, lots of RAM needed and modest CPUs. Is this a sign of things to come?

Doesn't really surprise me that much. It's pretty much what you needed the last couple of years if you wanted to play any game at decent settings. Only the ram is much more than before but I don't think that is really an issue. Pretty much everything not at the low end of the market sold over the last couple of years came with a 64bit os.

Doesn't really surprise me that much. It's pretty much what you needed the last couple of years if you wanted to play any game at decent settings. Only the ram is much more than before but I don't think that is really an issue. Pretty much everything not at the low end of the market sold over the last couple of years came with a 64bit os.

True, but decent settings ≠ minimum requirements.

Minimum requirements are usually the ones needed to play with settings on low/medium and 720p resolution at most.

Lots of people are still using 32bit OSes.
And then there's the horde of laptop gamers that sit on GPUs that are a lot weaker than a HD5870. That thing runs 1600 VLIW5 shaders, 32 TMUs and 156GB/s memory bandwidth. Most laptops today use a GF116 (96 Fermi units) or a GK107 (384 Kepler units).
Either these "minimum requirements" mean something other than "running everything in minimum" or a lot of people are going to have a bad time.
I'm pretty sure the game will run with lower-end GPUs, as long as there's at least 1GB VRAM and DX11 compliance, but if the gaming experience is bad, then Infinity Ward is in for some criticism.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, those were released by NVidia and not Activision? That makes a lot more sense. And that certainly explains them listing the GTX-780 as the "recommended" graphics card for a game that will never require near that much power. The internet just about had a conniption when that was announced.

I guess that leveling a GTX550 Ti with a HD5870 was too much of a stretch already.

Not that I haven't seen worse in official specs, though.

http://au.ign.com/videos/2013/11/05/bobbya1984-plays-call-of-duty-ghosts-on-ps4
PS4 MP gameplay from IGN. This level is such a tessellation/displacement map fest with a crap load of grass which reminds me of that Unigine Heaven demo. It actually looked better than I thought especially at that resolution and framerate. Can anyone confirm is there something similar like this level in the campaign and how does it look?

That video looks like as if an old game is being run at 1080p and injected with mods :p , something I do a lot on my PC. The geometry is so simple for the houses and HDR tonemapping seems crude, too white whites and too black blacks. Throw in some form of POM and run it at 1080 !

THe devs sure were limited by current gen.

I can't believe how dated those graphics are...the 1080p is not really helping it at all...

Should've dropped the resolution and improved the shaders...

I can't believe how dated those graphics are...the 1080p is not really helping it at all...

Should've dropped the resolution and improved the shaders...

They should have started from scratch instead of producing something that even a Titan can't handle with 2008 level console graphics for all I'm concerned.

I'm wondering if its the nvidia exclusive features that are causing the problems, I have a 6950 and have no complaints about the performance
ps: single player

There is no in game tessellation option, but I disabled it in ccc and didnt notice a difference
also tried running it @ 5292x1050 but its messed up like the image is stretched (you need to change max res in config.cfg default 2560x2560)

Looks great to me (apart from the crappy YT quality). I don't know what you guys are on about! Where are the benchmarks btw?

my friend runs it on nvidia gt460M and it stutters. This game is supported heavily by nvidia right?

usually game like this runs great on nvidia and stutter on AMD. But right now, it seems to stutters on both of them

people have measured the ram usage and its between 1.2 and 1.8gb
and there is an unofficial patch that removes the 6gb check

but the game not actually need 6GB.

more like inflated sys req to make it looks like "awesome and next gen"

Back