Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War [PC, PS4, PS5, XO, XBSX|S]

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Karamazov, Aug 26, 2020.

1. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

Its the most confusing thing I've seen with BC so far.
    Complete Tally: https://www.resetera.com/threads/yo...old-war-to-xbox-series-x.274979/post-43588163

PS5 Physical Version ($70): Runs on PS5; Doesn't run on PS4
    PS5 Digital Version ($70): Runs on PS5; Doesn't run on PS4
    PS4 Physical Version ($60): Runs on PS4; Runs on PS5 via BC (no visual/performance upgrades); Offers a paid ($10) upgrade to the native PS5 version
    PS4 Digital Version ($60): Runs on PS4; Runs on PS5 via BC (no visual/performance upgrades); Offers a paid ($10) upgrade to the native PS5 version

XBSX Physical Version ($70): Runs on XBSX; Runs on XB1
    XBSX Digital Version ($70): Runs on XBSX; Runs on XB1
    XB1 Physical Version ($60): Runs on XB1, Runs on XBSX via BC (no visual/performance upgrades); Doesn't offer a paid ($10) upgrade
    XB1 Digital Version ($60): Runs on XB1, Runs on XBSX via BC (no visual/performance upgrades); Offers a paid ($10) upgrade to the native XBSX version. <-- not sure about this; still being evaluated

this is balls:
    Both current generation versions (PlayStation 4 and Xbox One) will be playable on their respective next-generation console via backwards compatibility by downloading the game from your account’s digital library. But, the game will not include any of the next-generation features, such as higher framerate, hardware based ray-tracing, faster load times, and more.

About as much text as Ubisoft versions.
    Cross-generation compatibility

• PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5: Purchase the Ultimate Edition on PlayStation 4 and receive a digital entitlement to both the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 versions of the game. The PlayStation 4 version will download immediately to your console when Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War launches on November 13th. The PlayStation 5 version of the game will automatically become available for download from your account library once the PlayStation 5 launches later this year. If you purchase the Cross-Gen Bundle on PlayStation 5, you will also receive an entitlement to the PlayStation 4 version of the game. The Battle Pass, Tier Skips, and Land/Sea/Air Pack content will be available for use across both the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 versions of the game when upgrading/transitioning between console generations within the same family.
    • Xbox One and Xbox Series X: Purchase the Ultimate Edition on Xbox One and receive a digital entitlement to both the Xbox One and Xbox Series X versions of the game. The Xbox One version will download immediately to your console when Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War launches on November 13th. The Xbox Series X version of the game will automatically become available for download from your account library once the Xbox Series X launches later this year. If you purchase the Cross-Gen Bundle on Xbox Series X, you will also receive an entitlement to the Xbox One version of the game. The Battle Pass, Tier Skips, and Land/Sea/Air Pack content will be available for use across both the Xbox One and Xbox Series X versions of the game when upgrading/transitioning between console generations within the same family.
    The digital Ultimate Edition is available for pre-order on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC on Battle.net through platform stores and select Call of Duty in-game stores.

#21 iroboto, Aug 26, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    BRiT and Shortbread like this.
  2. jayco

Veteran Regular

So if you get the physical version of the XB1 you can't upgrade. The digital version is still TBD.

All PS4 version are upgradable for 10$.

edit: MS is doing Activision a favor by forcing every XBO user to buy the next-gen version just in case.

iroboto likes this.
  3. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

so basically this is what Activision did from a technical perspective on Xbox.
    2 SKUs: XSX and XBO
    • XSX supports the smart delivery license
    • XBO is XBO only license no smart delivery support.
    Here's the kicker @jayco tell me what to expect in terms of stuff for us 4Pro and X1X owners? Because it's sounding like they didn't make that version. I did a ctrl+F on that FAQ page, 4Pro and X1X do not come up. Here's some interesting language:

Shortbread likes this.
  4. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

Crossplay across all hardware formats sounds good.

5. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

No I mean the missing out on 4 Pro and X1X language as part of that.

6. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

Maybe it's a given? That the premium systems are still covered under their respective [original] brand names.

7. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

Nah, it’s the first time I’ve not seen details on mid gen enhancements for such a large release. And listing Xbox One and Xbox One S but not the X is suspect.

I think it’s on purpose to move those to the PS5 and XSX versions respectively.

both mid gen devices are normally capable of fauxK60 and I think they moved this to next gen to charge more.

It's still possible it's upgraded, but they certainly aren't talking about it.

#27 iroboto, Aug 26, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    PSman1700, Shortbread and egoless like this.
  8. mpg1

Veteran Newcomer

Though come to think of it this is basically a cross gen game....it's likely running 1080p(dynamic) 60fps on PS4....so 4K(dynamic) 120fps on next gen consoles may very well be possible?....

iroboto likes this.
  9. techuse

Regular Newcomer

Looks really good for a cross gen game, better than i expected.. Base consoles going to suffer heavily i suspect.

10. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

Love it or hate it, COD has been looking mighty fine since the last MW remake. Ray Tracing on PS5 while running that fast? Interesting.

11. Xbat

Veteran Newcomer

Did they show any actual gameplay? The last bit in the desert looked really nice if that's how it looks while playing.

BRiT likes this.
  12. techuse

Regular Newcomer

I understood that as a peek at the large scale mode in multiplayer with the preceding footage as single player. Hence the drop in visuals.

13. Xbat

Veteran Newcomer

Well to me the last bit looked the best :yep2:

14. chris1515

Veteran Regular

15. Ike Turner

Veteran Regular

This cinematic is CG done by Digic Pictures...

chris1515 and BRiT like this.
  16. Xbat

Veteran Newcomer

The audio in the new single player demo at the Sony thing was some of the best positional audio I've heard in a game.

London Geezer likes this.
  17. SumoSaki

Newcomer

Time for the Quake Engine to be retired.
    Call of Duty modern Warfare blows this away.