Cable Modem, Router, Gateway??

Hi guys. Here is what I am trying to accomplish:

1. Cable modem for my cable broadband
2. At least 20 Mbps capability as this is my ISP speed
3. Hard wire my main gaming PC and have wireless access for PS3 and various laptops
4. Have a main printer that can be accessed by all wireless devices
5. Eliminate as much lag as possible for my online gaming

Charter Cable, my ISP, currently has me on a Netgear "Wireless Cable Modem Gateway" but it is capped at 10Mbps for some reason. They tell me I need to purchase my own to get 20 Mbps and I want to have my own hardware anyways. So, here we go:

1. Should I get an all in one device and can you recommend a good one?
2. Should I get a separate modem and a separate router and again any recommendations?
3. Price is secondary to speed, security and elimination of lag.

Thanks in advance for your help!

1. Should I get an all in one device and can you recommend a good one?
2. Should I get a separate modem and a separate router and again any recommendations?
3. Price is secondary to speed, security and elimination of lag.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Option 2 is the best option.

For high speed you want a DOCSIS 3.0 Cable modem. For example, the Motorola SB6120. Note I have no idea if that's the best you can get, but it has favorable ratings.

Then choose a router of your choice. I can heartily recommend the D-Link DIR-655. It can easily handly a large number of connections and maintain good transfer speeds. And it's quite well priced. It also gets very good reviews and very good ratings. I have never had to power cycle this router, compared to occasionally having to power cycle my modem. :p

Regards,
SB

Here's the obligatory recommendation to roll your own router with DD-WRT. I'm a bit behind the curve on recommendable base hardware, but I've used an Asus WL-500W (802.11n, external antenna array, enough RAM to run the "mega" build of the dd-wrt firmware) to great success. I hear that's not the best you can get in terms of CPU speeds though.

I've been running a WRT54G for like 5 years now I think. Been on DDWRT and now run Tomato. I'm scared of being locked into a company's firmware at this point. ;)

Rolf's idea sounds fun.

Or maybe a smoothwall setup?

Back