C&C on Frostbite

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by CouldntResist, Mar 2, 2012.

1. CouldntResist

Regular

#1 CouldntResist, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2012
  2. Davros

Legend

he said a new genre for their studio, probably meaning bioware hasnt done a rts before

3. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Philosopher & Poet
    Veteran

Lucky the game is actually being made by one of EA's veteran C&C teams then, huh?

4. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Yah, saw the trailer a while back. Almost got excited until I realized it probably won't appear on Steam, and hence I probably won't ever be playing it.

Hopefully they don't follow the footsteps of the last disastrous C&C outing.

Regards,
    SB

5. Demirug

Veteran

Exactly

It's the Team in LA. But I am not sure how many people from previous C&C games are still there.

Maybe Steam changes their rules again. If not there is no chance for this game on Steam.

It's unlikely that they make the same mistakes again.

6. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Kingdoms of Amalur (EA Game) has gone on sale on Steam, including at least one DLC. From what I understand most of the bickering between Steam and EA revolved around how DLC was sold. So EA is entirely capable of selling on Steam, but just chooses not to.

I hope so. C&C was one of my favorite RTS franchises although the last few iterations (RA3, and the last one whose name shall not be mentioned) really tarnished it.

I'd certainly like the series to become relevant again.

Regards,
    SB

7. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

Wow looks incredible! I love C&C and Generals was probably my favourite of the series. WIth graphics like this then this is an easy buy for me. First RTS since C&C3.

8. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Philosopher & Poet
    Veteran

Reckoning is an EA Partners game and the contract specifically allowed 38 Studios to sell on Steam if they wanted. From now on any internally developed EA. Game is going to be Origin.

9. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

I don't see any reason to support a Steam monopoly. It's convenient yes but it's still a monopoly. EA has every right to bring competition to the DDL space. Origin is trash now but hopefully it matures soonish.

Will be interesting to see how much Frostbite can actually do for an RTS. Last one that impressed me graphically was Company of Heroes.

10. itsmydamnation

Veteran Regular

im sorry but these are mutually exclusive :lol:

11. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Origin is just terrible. Seems like it's updated daily...and you can get perma-banned from all your Origin titles for slamming EA in the Origin forums...or so say several sites.

12. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

It doesn't have to be a monopoly, but both companies should make sure their contracts are flexible enough to allow releases on both systems. EA created Origin and now automatically bar Steam from their releases.

13. Demirug

Veteran

Shameless plug: alliances.commandandconquer.com. I think I still have some beta keys. It's only strategy not RTS. Something to play at hours when you cannot get your best APM.

The graphics engine is flexible. An RTS would require some changes on the netcode and the simulation part of the engine.

No it was not related to Origin as EA still sell on other download platforms. The problem was that steam requires you to sell addons & DLCs only on steam in the case that the original game was sold on steam. It already started to increase customer support calls in the case of Sims were people were not able to activate the retails version of a addon on their steam version of the game.

14. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Ooooh, potentially interesting, but that page doesn't tell me anything about the game. :D

Are you working on this one Demirug? Then again do I want to lose as much time into this as I did with Battleforge? :p

Regards,
    SB

15. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

As in turns based? Old fogies like me WANT.

16. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

EA hasn't banned Steam. It's the other way around. Not sure why everyone just assumes EA is at fault here.

17. Davros

Legend

Its apparently steamworks thats the culprit
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_245/7285-Steam-A-Monopoly-In-the-Making

18. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

EA has a bit of a track record that tends to bias people against them.

19. Demirug

Veteran

It is a HTML5 browser MMO (1000s of players per game world) strategy game with a twist.

Yes, I am the system engineer for it.

As I do not know how much time you have spend with Battleforge I cannot compare. In general this kind of games are played over a long period every day.

Depends on your definition of turn. As said it is much more relaxed than an RTS as you can take your time to plan your moves.

20. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Yeah EA created Origin and then Valve decided to ban EA games from Steam of course it's not EA's fault. Lulz