Buying a new pc

He posted that for me! Then I realized my mobo has Via audio. :cry:

What I've been wondering for a while now is how do I actually get DTS/DD for games on my Onkyo with my pc? I've got my pc hooked up to the Onkyo (HDX35, basic model) but every game I play is always PCM and never DD/DTS. I got a 560TI and Asus z87 gryphon. Movies do display DTS/DD.

Movies are already encoded Dolby Digital or DTS, and your mobo has no problem outputting that. Multichannel game audio OTOH is not and has to be encoded in realtime to either Dolby Digital or DTS. That's what Dolby Digital Live and DTS Connect do. And yes, all Realtek audio hardware that I know of support those features (though the encoding is probably done in software TBH), but mobo makers usually don't pay the licensing fee and it is disabled. :???: There's where the cracked driver comes into play :devilish:

Or you could use the 5.1 analog outs on your mobo if your receiver has 5.1 analog in, but that's not a very elegant solution IMO when something so much simpler will suffice.

TTottentranz posted this helpful link in my recent thread in the PC Hardware forum: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...olby-digital-live-and-dts-interactive.193148/

There you will find the required modded driver if you have Realtek audio hardware on your mobo. It's a hack and unsupported by the manufacturer obviously, so understandably it's a bit of a crapshoot wether it'll work on your particular mobo or not. However it just might, so perhaps you want to try it.

On the last page of the thread there's instructions how to make windows driver signing enforcement not shit itself when trying to load this hacked driver. Good luck!

Same link I found using google :)

Dolby and DTS options showed up in the driver but my amp displays PCM - HDMI - Dolby pro logic II when booting a game.

Or you could use the 5.1 analog outs on your mobo if your receiver has 5.1 analog in, but that's not a very elegant solution IMO when something so much simpler will suffice.

I don't know how things can be more simple than using the analog outs, it's just sound :p and it could even be decent from high end Z87 motherboards and the like.

Cables are cheap, last stereo jack to RCA I bought in a store cost 1.70 euro I think (a longer one will be about 4 euros)

I have found that if I turn on DTS with the hack, and then put the original DLL back, DTS still works. The options will be gone in the Realtek control panel, but you can use the balance sliders for the different channels from playback properties under the level tab.

Survives reboot, and DTS indicator shows its working.

I have found that if I turn on DTS with the hack, and then put the original DLL back, DTS still works. The options will be gone in the Realtek control panel, but you can use the balance sliders for the different channels from playback properties under the level tab.

Survives reboot, and DTS indicator shows its working.

Good catch I'll have to try that. Its the driver /dll signing issue that put me off this but sounds like you might have a way around it.

My rear-left speaker's power supply crapped out again today. Fuck. Didn't even last a week!

Hopefully it can be fixed.

Would seem he didn't get one of those speaker models that simply drain energy from the self-refilling integrated battery.

Why does your rear-left have a power supply?
Both rear speakers are "wireless" (they obviously have a power cable, so not truly wireless of course.)

Anyway, two trips to the repairman and the speaker now works again. Excellent. Enjoyment derived out of sound when gaming is easily 300% higher from a properly working 5.1 setup compared to plain stereo. I had no idea how much I'd missed 5.1 in the time since the first rear speaker went on the fritz years ago when I originally disabled 5.1, until I turned it back on again the other week...

Awesome. Just a tad annoyed that Logitech stopped producing the Z5450 speakers; it's an awesome setup (except for the shitty power supply caps they used; from what I've derived when googling this issue, it seems EVERY single rear speaker of this model fails the same way if just used long enough, IE a couple years.)

I have a pair of logitech speakers, and when I turn the volume all the way down I can faintly but definitely hear a Spanish radio station playing through them. What does that mean?

It took me a long time to figure out where that was coming from btw.

That means it's a simple thing to build a minimal AM radio, way too simple even :)

Now, my former PC once spoke Chinese in a loud, low definition feminine voice. It was speaking error codes on the line out!, and I think there was a jumper for Chinese, English or German.
A funny moment, what the hell was that?

That's friggin weird, Blaz. I've heard of those spoken error codes, but TBH, I think I prefer a numerical LED display instead - especially with taiwanese mobo companies' usual "understanding" of the english language... ;)

I have a pair of logitech speakers, and when I turn the volume all the way down I can faintly but definitely hear a Spanish radio station playing through them. What does that mean?

It took me a long time to figure out where that was coming from btw.

My cheap Logitechs I have on my daughter's computer do that, she gets freaked out by it. Picking up certain AM radio frequencies.

Back